Sponsored

2018 gauge cluster retrofit

LFCRulesOK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT (Ruby Red)
I have a feeling we will need to change the steering wheel (wiring inside) and the SCCM Module to get full function of the Cluster.
So apart from the high-beam light indicator not showing up, are there any other problems you're aware of?
Sponsored

p6cl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
So apart from the high-beam light indicator not showing up, are there any other problems you're aware of?
No, except I cannot get into the functions of the cluster that the pony button uses. Ambient Lighting and the extra gauges in the middle stuff, changing the colors of the screen gauges and lines.

LFCRulesOK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, except I cannot get into the functions of the cluster that the pony button uses. Ambient Lighting and the extra gauges in the middle stuff, changing the colors of the screen gauges and lines.
Do you think changing the SCCM module might resolve this?

p6cl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you think changing the SCCM module might resolve this?
That and possibly the steering wheel as I have a feeling the wiring is different as the controls are on the opposite sides of the wheel. I cannot find the right part number for the heated steering wheel yet, so I can order it and try it.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
That and possibly the steering wheel as I have a feeling the wiring is different as the controls are on the opposite sides of the wheel. I cannot find the right part number for the heated steering wheel yet, so I can order it and try it.
Do the steering wheel buttons not have a little chip built into them? Seems like most all of Ford's switchgear in this car is actually sending CAN signals, so it almost doesn't matter where it's plugged in.

Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Do the steering wheel buttons not have a little chip built into them? Seems like most all of Ford's switchgear in this car is actually sending CAN signals, so it almost doesn't matter where it's plugged in.
If it's like years past, the buttons on the wheel send different voltages (each button contacts a different resistor in a voltage divider) to avoid the need for a CAN module in the wheel itself. The voltage is interpreted and translated to CAN later (SCCM).

Either the pony button has a new (different) voltage or the pre-18's are unable to generate the correct CAN signal... as it's (likely) a Ford proprietary signal that didn't exist until the 18's.

p6cl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When I put the new buttons in most of them did what the old buttons did For example the volume on the 2018 is on the left side but when I hit the Buttons on the right side it still did the volume.

DiEzel

GTFO OG - The Professor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
Oxford white GT Premium PP
When I put the new buttons in most of them did what the old buttons did For example the volume on the 2018 is on the left side but when I hit the Buttons on the right side it still did the volume.
Sounds like we need dat wheel and module!

Seatown Stang

HereWeGo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Subing!! Great work guys!

Sponsored

p6cl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is this the heated wheel part # ??? My parts guy @ the dealer is saying so...

JR3Z-3600-MA
That could be, I need the one with no adaptive cruise, but premium for the LCD screen

LFCRulesOK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wouldn't this mean the new steering wheel is NOT required? I sure hope not, as I have the GT350R steering wheel installed and I don't want to change it. Perhaps some kind soul could include instructions on moving the wiring around when the guide is released? :D

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Buttons work off of resistance values sent to the SCCM. I am 99% confident that the wiring is unchanged and that it is the programming of the SCCM that is the problem. The new buttons functioned as the old buttons because the resistance values were not changed but their functions in the software were. The main button that we do need, the pony button, did not have a counterpart in the 15-17 generation which is why it does not function. An update to the SCCM firmware is likely required in order to get the buttons functioning properly. Since I know of no way to update the firmware of a Ford module, we need a 2018 SCCM.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Ok just finished diving through wiring diagrams... SCCM looks to be right behind the steering wheel. I can not tell if it is the left control stick or another module integrated into the housing behind the wheel that holds the control stick. If it is the left control stick this could also be the reason for the high beam indicator not functioning.

Wiring in the steering wheel is unchanged between 15 and 18.
SCCM Connector.PNG

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=32917]p6cl[/MENTION]

I think I just found your SCCM. Upon further investigation, it appears as though the SCCM is integrated into the "steering column housing".

This one states heated steering wheel and automatic.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/P...search=true&year=2018&make=Ford&model=Mustang

According to the C226A Connector Face, there is no difference between 15-18 and no difference for heated steering wheel so this, the wheel, and a programming change in sync 3 should be all that you need to have a functioning heated wheel.
Sponsored