2018 evap code

Kaw8787

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
18 ecoboost mustang
so my car just threw me the evap code. P0496. 2018 pp eco manual. Just hit 8000 miles. How urgent is this, what’s the worst thing that could happen if I keep driving it. Also, in stage 1 Cobb tuned. Should I return to stock map until this gets fixed?
Sponsored

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
I would take it in right away. Your tune does not affect your evap core so do not worry about changing that to stock.

Good luck

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Generally evap codes are related to the recovery of fuel vapors, it's an emissions thing...the vapors get converted back to fuel, there are charcoal canisters, solenoids and tubes involved....
I doubt any harm can come to your engine, you might ruin the Charcoal canister or something like that if the vapors and fuel flood it...and you will fail emissions testing....And your emissions warranty should cover it-unless your tune has somehow disabled the evaporative system-which is highly unlikely....

Last edited:

Alex2020GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I took my car in for rustproofing and got a CEL right after. I took my car to the dealership (still have the warranty) and got 2 codes (P0451 and P0496). They tell me it's a sensor located on top of the fuel tank that was damaged by the oil from the rustproofing. Now they tell me the part to be changed is JR3Z-9E325-A.
From my research, this is a fuel hose and it looks like there is a sensor with it. I went under the car and the tank has to be lowered to change that hose/sensor.
Did anyone have experience with that?
Thanks

Stang2019

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019 , Mustang Coupe 1968
Hello, i have the same Problems on my 2019 GT and this 2 Codes p0451 and p0496. Has the change of that Part JR3Z-9E325-A fixed your Problem as your dealer said? THX
Greetings from Germany

Sponsored

Alex2020GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Hello, i have the same Problems on my 2019 GT and this 2 Codes p0451 and p0496. Has the change of that Part JR3Z-9E325-A fixed your Problem as your dealer said? THX
Greetings from Germany
Hi,
yes it solved the problem. It took 5 hours of labour to do it (they had to remove the gas tank and you'll need a rear alignment too) and it ended up costing me $922 CAD before taxes. The parts themselves were $157 only.
I did that reapir almost a year ago and haven't got any codes since then.
Cheers

Stang2019

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
THX for your quick answer ! Thats good news for me . Hope i have the same luck.

Fury_Sauce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 2018
yea same here, this is absurd lol

Stang2019

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
Hi, I don't now why this Sensor has Problem's with any kind of dirt or corosion Fluid ect.? It is a closed system !
The New one solved my Problem ! The position of that thing is bad . I don't no what the Ford engeniers have thought about it.

Fury_Sauce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 2018
Hi, I don't now why this Sensor has Problem's with any kind of dirt or corosion Fluid ect.? It is a closed system !
The New one solved my Problem ! The position of that thing is bad . I don't no what the Ford engeniers have thought about it.
The irony lies in the fact that the undercoating was present throughout my engine and underneath the car and other similar sensor designs without having any issues.

However, it appears that only specific units from the 2018-2019 batches are prone to immediate failure due to undercoating or dust accumulation, which may likely become a recurring problem over time.

1. Despite my efforts, including contacting Ford and visiting four different dealerships, the service warranty claims were rejected. The problem couldn't be replicated, and even if it could, they informed me that it wouldn't be covered under warranty.
  2. Again, despite passing the KOER and KOER tests and showing no DTC or issues, the DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) is triggered due to the voltage reading of the sensor being inaccurate (when tank is <85% filled) while the actual tank pressure remains unaffected. As a result, the high purge flow P0496 code is prompted instead of the P0451 code. It's worth noting that during my troubleshooting of the evap cycle and readings, the Purge function appeared to be working correctly.
  3. It was reported and documented but no actions were taken accordingly (in my opinion) https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10204040-0001.pdf

In my opinion, this issue could potentially be resolved through a simple ECM (Engine Control Module) update, although it is difficult to say for certain.

The placement of the sensor is rather inconvenient, as it is not easily accessible and requires the drop down of various components such as the rear, shaft, and fuel tank. This extensive service work seems disproportionate to the magnitude of the repair needed.

The placement of the sensor on the S550 platform is arguably the most unfavorable and inconvenient position imaginable. I have given up W/ Ford and this DTC in general.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
This code is a common problem since Ford has gone to capless fuel set up. There are 2 flaps. Outer that you see and an inner about 5” down the neck. It gets a little dirt and creates a evaporate leak. Google it. Easy to fix with some WD 40 and a rag. No need to replace anything. 👍

Fury_Sauce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 2018
This code is a common problem since Ford has gone to capless fuel set up. There are 2 flaps. Outer that you see and an inner about 5” down the neck. It gets a little dirt and creates a evaporate leak. Google it. Easy to fix with some WD 40 and a rag. No need to replace anything. 👍
I will try this on the weekend and see how it goes. Is the flap 5in visible ? im just unsure if the wd40 will end up leaking into the tank lol

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
yes. With a flashlight and the first flap pried open. Don’t worry about the wd40 going into the tank. It is such a small amount and will dilute with the gas. 👍

Bonedizzle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
I am having a hard time finding info or videos on this. Do you have a link? I am getting 2 codes for the EVAP purge valve/purge flow.

Sponsored