Sponsored

2018+ EB owners - question about part near IC

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Ok this is for the 2018+ EB owners....

If looking through the lower grille where the IC is located, do you see a black rubber “sheet” or “flap” that is hanging down, almost blocking a 1/4 of the top portion of the IC?

I saw this on mine the other day and thought that it must not have been secured correctly when the car was built.

The flap has (2) rubber like “ties” coming through slots on it that I’m guessing should be tied up or secured somewhere above it so that it’s NOT hanging downward in front of the IC.

If you reach through the lower grille the flap can be pushed up above the IC, but if it’s not secured (like mine), it just falls back down blocking some of the IC.

Can anyone provide some pics of the front bumper cover or grille area removed to see how this rubber flap is to be secured??

I was also wondering, can that rubber flap be completely removed, would there be any detrimental affects from removing it?

So FYI, if you’re peering through the lower grille opening and see a rubber flap blocking the upper portion of your IC... it probably needs to be corrected.
Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have the active grill shutters?
When I removed mine, there was a rubber strip along the bottom, maybe yours detatched?

Greg94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost
Cobra, I know you mention 18... however my 15 had it and was similar to a rubber bladder type material. Mine divided flow between intercooler and ac condenser above. It attaches to front impact bar. My car did not come with shutters and I removed it due to a larger intercooler install. But it can detach and block airflow to the intercooler.

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
X2^

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Cobra, I know you mention 18... however my 15 had it and was similar to a rubber bladder type material. Mine divided flow between intercooler and ac condenser above. It attaches to front impact bar. My car did not come with shutters and I removed it due to a larger intercooler install. But it can detach and block airflow to the intercooler.
So that's what that does lol. When I installed mine, I had that left over, didn't remember what it was or where it went. Said fu*k-it and drove without it. Figured it wasn't important.

Sponsored

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
i just noticed this too. just installed my intercooler and i didnt put it back
grill.jpg

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i just noticed this too. just installed my intercooler and i didnt put it back
grill.jpg
Yes, exactly as above!

Mine is a 2018 EB Premium w/ PP - it does not have any active grille shutters at all.

——

The photo above is representative of the issue I posted... that rubber flap is hanging down just as depicted by ihasnostang’s image and I don’t know how it needs to be reattached.

Exactly how or where is it supposed to be hooked or secured to the front impact bar? So that it’s not hanging down and blocking the top 1/4 portion of the IC core...

I can get my hand in through the lower grille and push it up and I see the (2) factory straps on it, but don’t know how or where to secure it.

Thanks for any further help - much appreciated! I’m glad my post had enough info to help with this diagnosis... LOL... I had no idea what the true tech term is or what to call that thing!

——
I thought about removing it, but then thought maybe it’s purpose is that the air flow has to be divided between the IC and upper A/C condenser/radiator... wasn’t sure if I should just remove it or not. If it is removed, no issues?

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That part made no sense to me... removed it and didn't try to put it back. It didn't even look like it fit right to begin with.
https://www.mustangecoboost.net/threads/2018-pp-intercooler-install-question.20881/#post-225503

@MD18EcoStang

Thank you too! You nailed it with that hyperlink! That’s the issue... and from the photos you had posted there, the “ties” are merely stamped rubber strands that protrude through the rubber. Poor design and most likely why they either come loose or fall out allowing the rubber flap to fall down in the front of the IC. It seems like removing it is the general consensus.

I’ll take a closer look this week and determine that if I can’t get it reattached, I’ll try to remove it... It can’t possibly be efficient for the IC when that damn piece is hanging down in front of it!

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I installed mine and was able to keep the flap
I believe it pushes air through ic

Sponsored

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
I installed mine and was able to keep the flap
I believe it pushes air through ic
I've been under the impression that the exact part described by the OP is only on 18+ models with the performance package, although I could be mistaken.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
My 17 non pp has it. My car didn’t have active grille shutters though

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Interesting. I'm confused about Ford's criteria for when they have or have not used the active grille shutters, which are utterly useless, IMO. And, when they have not used grille shutters, they seem to insert this also fairly useless flap, which oftentimes seems to end up being more of a hindrance, in that it appears to partially block the intercooler.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
the flap was literally just pushed up out of my way, swap intercoolers, and just set it back in original position. it does not block my intercooler at all, it is above the stock mount intercooler.

now if you have an oversized, full front face intercooler, I can see it being in the way. but for stock location intercooler, I kept it and see no reason to remove it.

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
the flap was literally just pushed up out of my way, swap intercoolers, and just set it back in original position. it does not block my intercooler at all, it is above the stock mount intercooler.

now if you have an oversized, full front face intercooler, I can see it being in the way. but for stock location intercooler, I kept it and see no reason to remove it.
This leads me to believe that this flap is different in the 18+ cars. It does block a stock location IC.
Sponsored