2018 Cobra Jet [Now Available For Orders]

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
True. But the Demon is street legal. There is something to be said for that.

Going that fast, meeting emissions, safety requirements, being able to build it on your assembly line, and making money off it isn't easy.

35 to 40K and a Notchback will get you well into the 8's reliably.

I would love to see a street legal version of the Cobra Jet oust the Demon. But I just don't think it is worth Ford Performance's time in the grand scheme of production performance cars.

I imagine the GT500 will probably come close in some areas, potentially beating a Demon on the street.
im guessing and hoping a version of the cobra jet engine will be in the new gt500.. but all we can do is wait for that
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Interesting that they are now taking orders, but don't advertise the price nor the power levels. Two things I'd probably want to know before ordering.

Power levels are irrelevant since they are built to a specific class. They clearly are very competitive in their classes with the SCJ running 8's consistently and the naturally-aspirated CJ running 9's.

yo ken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
The Cobra Jets will be priced at $130,000 Roughly $25,000 more than the 2016 model. Ford does not release power numbers. The CJ will either have a TVS 2650 or 3.0 Whipple Supercharger. It will also come with a race version Turbo 400, sorry purist fans. No manual for this version. I would estimate 1100 crank hp. There goal is to run 8.40's out of the box. The cars typically weight 3550. I race 2008 Cobra Jet, we make about 1000hp, but that's with extensive blueprinting and a smaller 2.3 TVS supercharger, and run 8.40's@160mph.

The 2016 Cobra Jet 5.2 ran 8.60's out of the box. When racers get hold of them they run low 8's making 1200+hp. Chuck Watson with a 2016 CJ from Watson Engineering has the quickest CJ, 8.07@169mph. He ran that last week at a NHRA National event at Norwalk. Watson Engineering builds the CJ chassis.

An interesting note about these cars. It is specifically built to compete in a class for NHRA, called the Factory Stock Showdown. All three manufactures compete in the class. They all weight 3550 and run 2.9 Whipple supercharges. The Chevy with their COPO uses the LS 350, Dodge with their Drag Pak Challenger use the 354 Hemi. Its a great series, so for the Dodge boys are making the most power and won 2 out of the 3 races this year. The COPO's dominate in numbers making up more than half the field. Although a few Cobra Jets compete, at present the Ford racing program lacks any kind of support, unlike their competition. Its a very cool class and brings back memories of heads up racing from the big three.

Last edited:

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro

Sponsored

yo ken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
https://www.mecum.com/lots/HA0418-324764/2010-ford-mustang-cobra-jet/

I was at the Mecum Auction in Houston back in April and they had a 2010 CJ go across the block. I couldn't believe it only brought $44k, I would have thought it would go for closer to $70k.

Unfortunately Ford has not shown much support since 2014. Interest in the Cobra Jets have declined over the years from the Ford racers, its mostly the collectors that buy them. I think that's main reason for the low resale price. 90 percent of the Cobra Jets that are raced competitively today are ground up built, not purchased from Ford. Where as COPO's are 95 percent turn key cars from GM that race competitively. GM and Chrysler have been actively involved, and their on track performance reflects it. Some of my racing friends have switched from Cobra Jets to COPO's for this very reason. Its a shame because Ford started these factory drag cars is 2008 forcing GM and Chrysler to build their own 2 years later. Ford use to dominate with the Cobra Jets, now the COPO's are everywhere and winning races . It pains me to says this because I have raced and owned Fords my whole life. I'm just hoping things will change in the future.

havasu486

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT350 Electronics Package, Lead Foot Gray
Unfortunately Ford has not shown much support since 2014. Interest in the Cobra Jets have declined over the years from the Ford racers, its mostly the collectors that buy them. I think that's main reason for the low resale price. 90 percent of the Cobra Jets that are raced competitively today are ground up built, not purchased from Ford. Where as COPO's are 95 percent turn key cars from GM that race competitively. GM and Chrysler have been actively involved, and their on track performance reflects it. Some of my racing friends have switched from Cobra Jets to COPO's for this very reason. Its a shame because Ford started these factory drag cars is 2008 forcing GM and Chrysler to build their own 2 years later. Ford use to dominate with the Cobra Jets, now the COPO's are everywhere and winning races . It pains me to says this because I have raced and owned Fords my whole life. I'm just hoping things will change in the future.
I hope you are right but I do not see this new management going in that direction :frusty:

NTB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350 Fathouse Twin Turbo, 21' GT500
Looked but didn't see a Cobra Jet sub section on the forum? I have recently purchased a 14' Cobra Jet and am looking for information.

Thanks

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Looked but didn't see a Cobra Jet sub section on the forum? I have recently purchased a 14' Cobra Jet and am looking for information.

Thanks
@NTB

No, there’s no CJ sub-forum on here, but should be... here’s some good links if you haven’t seen them:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2016-cobra-jet-mustang-unveiled.35634/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/first-2016-cobra-jet-in-ohio.41473/#post-1008481

Not sure what info you’re seeking for the 2014 CJ, but this may help:

Attachments

NTB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350 Fathouse Twin Turbo, 21' GT500
@NTB

No, there’s no CJ sub-forum on here, but should be... here’s some good links if you haven’t seen them:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2016-cobra-jet-mustang-unveiled.35634/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/first-2016-cobra-jet-in-ohio.41473/#post-1008481

Not sure what info you’re seeking for the 2014 CJ, but this may help:
I did end up buying a 14' 3 years ago and a coupe months ago I bought a 18". Definitely not much of a online presence with these cars, I guess it's due to the very limited numbers.

DSC00224.jpeg

IMG_0128.jpeg

IMG_0133.jpeg

IMG_7062.jpeg

IMG_0214.jpeg

Sponsored

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
I did end up buying a 14' 3 years ago and a coupe months ago I bought a 18". Definitely not much of a online presence with these cars, I guess it's due to the very limited numbers.

DSC00224.jpeg

IMG_0128.jpeg

IMG_0133.jpeg

IMG_7062.jpeg

IMG_0214.jpeg
Awesome! But the reason there is low interest in them, is that you have to be fairly well off to own and race/drive them. You must have dedicated garage space, a trailer and tow vehicle to get it to the track. It is the same as the Body in white, GT4, and the other "race only" Mustangs. They are few in numbers and require extra financial support to actually use and enjoy them.
Ford seems to be lost as far as racing goes. In the case of the Cobra Jet, Ford has apparently given up drag racing, at least with anything other than electric power.
Road racing has seen very little factory support since they left GTLM, and the GT4 Mustangs are mostly on their own. At one time Ford were going to enter the new Le Mans/IMSA top class, but I haven't heard anything about Ford lately, and the powers that be, are dragging their feet agreeing on a new formula.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Awesome! But the reason there is low interest in them, is that you have to be fairly well off to own and race/drive them. You must have dedicated garage space, a trailer and tow vehicle to get it to the track. It is the same as the Body in white, GT4, and the other "race only" Mustangs. They are few in numbers and require extra financial support to actually use and enjoy them.
Ford seems to be lost as far as racing goes. In the case of the Cobra Jet, Ford has apparently given up drag racing, at least with anything other than electric power.
Road racing has seen very little factory support since they left GTLM, and the GT4 Mustangs are mostly on their own. At one time Ford were going to enter the new Le Mans/IMSA top class, but I haven't heard anything about Ford lately, and the powers that be, are dragging their feet agreeing on a new formula.
Wasnt that long ago that Ford sold Cobra Jet parts for the GT500.

Shame they stopped doing that, and don't even offer many Cobra Jet parts in general for the 5.0.
Sponsored