Sponsored

2018 Chevrolet Camaro SS vs. 2018 Ford Mustang GT | Comparison Test | Edmunds

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
that has to be the most ridiculously optioned vehicle to ever be used in a performance test.
Sponsored

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
that has to be the most ridiculously optioned vehicle to ever be used in a performance test.
Maybe but the camaro with no options beats it in this test.:shrug:

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
it does and thats fine. but they should have also taken the time to compare the 2 stereo systems and the navigation systems, the adaptive cruise control, forward collision mitigation... I mean those things should have been very useful on the test course they were tooling around on...LOL , come on

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
It does. Me personally. I think Ford screwed up with the 18s pricing. Back when the Camaro was selling for 45 and a Mustang was 33. It was easy to overlook 235 pizza cutters. But for basically the same price. I want the same options. The camaro no longer looks so over priced compared to the Mustang.:shrug: But let's face it. Nobody wants to see the base model test. Im waiting on the loaded test for both cars. Maybe a driver with a pulse. Blaq is over on camaro6 right now cumming in his pants. Because edmunds testers drag race skill match his.

Last edited:

Katastrophe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda Civic Sedan EX, 2014 Honda VFR800F
Well, at least for people looking at non-performance trims of the Mustang, Ford has given it a better set of tires. Yes, they're still an A/S Pirelli and not up to par with the Camaro and it's summer tires, but at least they are 255's square. Much better than those laughable 235's with the base car.

Sponsored

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Camaro is a better deal when discounts are there. I had a '17 1SS got brand new for $34,995. It was a hell of a performer. I had many issues with it out fo the box and it got lemon law'd and bought back.

FYI, there are more issues than normal with the Camaro. Go visit camaro6.com. A lot of owners are fed up. I got spooked and didn't go back to the Camaro. I don't think discounts are very good at the moment either.
Visibility does suck somewhat but I got used to it. It's also more cramped inside with the small windshield.

I like the 3.73 gearing in my GT better than the Camaro's stock gearing.

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2018 GT Premium PP/MR
Thats part of the problem with Ford. How many damn packages do you have to buy to get good tires. Or brakes? To get all the good stuff your looking at a 50 grand mustang. (Leather,mag ride,exhaust)Might as well spend another 5 grand and buy a Vette.
$39k base for leather. +MR +PP is around $45k MSRP, so you should walk out the door lower.
You could still get the performance upgrades on the base GT for under $40k I believe.

Even if you get the $50k Mustang it's probably because many people just have zero desire to own a vette (myself included).

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
$39k base for leather. +MR +PP is around $45k MSRP, so you should walk out the door lower.
You could still get the performance upgrades on the base GT for under $40k I believe.

Even if you get the $50k Mustang it's probably because many people just have zero desire to own a vette (myself included).
And some people desire a prius over a Mustang. Go figure.

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro is a better deal when discounts are there. I had a '17 1SS got brand new for $34,995. It was a hell of a performer. I had many issues with it out fo the box and it got lemon law'd and bought back.

FYI, there are more issues than normal with the Camaro. Go visit camaro6.com. A lot of owners are fed up. I got spooked and didn't go back to the Camaro. I don't think discounts are very good at the moment either.
Visibility does suck somewhat but I got used to it. It's also more cramped inside with the small windshield.

There have been some issues, especially with the A8 but that’s what warranty is for; however, if you’re into modding for straight line performance the gt is and has been the better option unless you have deep pockets and just love the camaro.
Having the 2SS the visibility hasn’t been an issue for me.
I personally love the manual ss gearing, plenty of torque to pull through those long gears:)

Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
What's genuinely frustrating is the fact that they cannot figure out that track prep matters.

When I had my Challenger and it was stock I took it to my local track who were cheap asses and cut already pre-mixed VHT with alcohol to make it last longer. As a result the track prep was terrible, and I could only manage a 13.8 @ 101.

A few weeks later I took it up state to another track with much, much better prep..I mean damn near pulling your shoes off level..and clicked off a 13.3 @ 105 pass.

So yeah..track prep CAN add a half second or more to your times. If Edmunds was doing their 1/4 mile testing just on a section of the track they were filming on, which isn't prepped at all, then I can easily see the times they got out of both cars.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

I always take forums with a grain of salt on their reliability issues but my anecdotal evidence lines up exactly with what has been mentioned.

My best friend has a 16 1SS and it's probably been to the shop many times from rear end issues, to wheel bearings (or something that is making loud humming sounds while driving), crank seal, slow start, electrical gremlins and to top it all off, the last time the dealer had it they called him and told him both rear MR shocks were blown and the RF strut.

I know he is hard on the car but he was very hard on his Fiesta ST as well and the only problems that had were a rattle in the dash and he broke the rear motor mount on a very hard shift lol.

As of now we are trying to find a good C5Z for him to pick up and someone to buy him out of his lease but the values on those cars aren't keeping up with what Chevy initially anticipated. I feel terrible for him because he loves the car and it's a great car, but much like a BMW or a Mercedes, I wouldn't want to keep one outside of warranty.

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I always take forums with a grain of salt on their reliability issues but my anecdotal evidence lines up exactly with what has been mentioned.

My best friend has a 16 1SS and it's probably been to the shop many times from rear end issues, to wheel bearings (or something that is making loud humming sounds while driving), crank seal, slow start, electrical gremlins and to top it all off, the last time the dealer had it they called him and told him both rear MR shocks were blown and the RF strut.

I know he is hard on the car but he was very hard on his Fiesta ST as well and the only problems that had were a rattle in the dash and he broke the rear motor mount on a very hard shift lol.

As of now we are trying to find a good C5Z for him to pick up and someone to buy him out of his lease but the values on those cars aren't keeping up with what Chevy initially anticipated. I feel terrible for him because he loves the car and it's a great car, but much like a BMW or a Mercedes, I wouldn't want to keep one outside of warranty.
My 2SS has never had an issue. It’s been to the dealer for oil changes only. I regularly have fun with my car but don’t abuse.
Two of my gt’s had weird alignment issues the dealership couldn’t figure out. Both also had the clunky control and issue.
My 12’ gt mt82 had issues fixed under warranty. The rear diff also leaked.
All car makes can have defects, some more than others.

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2018 GT Premium PP/MR
My 2SS has never had an issue. It’s been to the dealer for oil changes only. I regularly have fun with my car but don’t abuse.
Two of my gt’s had weird alignment issues the dealership couldn’t figure out. Both also had the clunky control and issue.
My 12’ gt mt82 had issues fixed under warranty. The rear diff also leaked.
All car makes can have defects, some more than others.
Anecdotes are always useless.

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Chevrolet_Camaro.html

Looks like the Camaro is a bit above industry standard for everything but the transmission.

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Ford_Mustang.html

Same for the Mustang, but overall a little lower score.

Of course this doesn't differentiate between model years, engines, or other options. I'd be curious to see some real stats on JUST GT vs SS reliability. These charts are looking at some older models on both cars which are lowering the overall score. However, it looks like if you only look at the 2015+ years, the Mustang has the higher score for reliability.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
FYI, the 18 GT Premium comes with the same 235/50R18's . Not sure where you guys are getting that they come with 255's are if you choose a 19" or and 265 for 20" wheel option upgrade and staggered for PP
Sponsored