Sponsored

2018 airbox intake VS JLT 120mm. what's the best. DYNO RESULTS

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I personally think that hole was the reason why I lost power .that vents are acting like a siphon IMO.
Your on point.
The air flowing over the hood vent will create a low pressure area underneath and could cause reversion ( I’m positive it will ) in the filter area.
The end goal is to pressurize the air box not pull air out of that area. Only track testing or a wind tunnel will reveal if the hood vent is causing reversion in the filter area. Again I’m most certain you’ll encounter a low pressure area under the hood vent.

Back in the old days of super speedway racing a few forward thinking racers would place a magnehelic onboard with a pickup mounted in various locations under the chassis. They searched for low pressure areas and would then place the exhaust outlet in the area that proved to reach the lowest pressure. This in turn would help pull the spent exhaust gasses out of the system and increased HP.

Flyhalf, there may be merit in purchasing a magnehelic and routing a pick up hose into the air filter area to see if your vents are causing a low pressure area in the open air box area.

Just an idea that won’t cost a bunch of money and will sort out if your encountering an intake airflow reversion issue.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Flyhalf

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Your on point.
The air flowing over the hood vent will create a low pressure area underneath and could cause reversion ( I’m positive it will ) in the filter area.
The end goal is to pressurize the air box not pull air out of that area. Only track testing or a wind tunnel will reveal if the hood vent is causing reversion in the filter area. Again I’m most certain you’ll encounter a low pressure area under the hood vent.

Back in the old days of super speedway racing a few forward thinking racers would place a magnehelic onboard with a pickup mounted in various locations under the chassis. They searched for low pressure areas and would then place the exhaust outlet in the area that proved to reach the lowest pressure. This in turn would help pull the spent exhaust gasses out of the system and increased HP.

Flyhalf, there may be merit in purchasing a magnehelic and routing a pick up hose into the air filter area to see if your vents are causing a low pressure area in the open air box area.

Just an idea that won’t cost a bunch of money and will sort out if your encountering an intake airflow reversion issue.
That is a good idea.
Unfortunately i cant attach here the video but i tested the vents for a wicker project and there is a lot of depression area starting at 40mph!
So definetrly yes. Lots of air extraction. Another thing to consider is the hot air under the hood is moving away from those vents. And I'm sure some of this air is captured by theairbox and filter. So IAT will increase readucing even more power.
I'll take a look on the gauge! Thanks man

Oceanside_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
I personally think that hole was the reason why I lost power .that vents are acting like a siphon IMO. there is a 40mph fan in the front . I think the air was push out to the vents without being capture.
other suggested the reason i loose power with hoods down is.
heat. Your trapping heat around the box and not enough airflow getting to the filter. Again, remember the car is going 150 MPH + ( with all the heat generated to get the car at those speed )and you do not have that amount of air flowing around the entire car. Air at that speed is pushing all around the engine compartment keeping temps down. This is why hood down is not the right way to test parts.
Just take the whole hood off lol

Oceanside_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT

Sponsored

OP
OP
Flyhalf

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Sonoma raceway. Elevation 13ft.
Stock filter was cleaned up but not new. 5000miles.

OP
OP
Flyhalf

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Looks like the 2 last run had different tunes. Cause the rev limiter is higher?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Interesting, because an air filter is not going to adjust where peak power is or carry power better past peak given everything else remains the same. If there's a restriction and the new filter alleviates some of that, it will make more power but the curve will be the same shape.
Sponsored