Sponsored

2018/2019 GT Front Brake Cooling Ducts - Any Solutions?

SgdriskillGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
Everything I've found for S550 front brake cooling ducts or inlets are only for 2015-2017. Ford changed the front fascia for 2018, and I don't see any available options out there.

Does anyone know of any options out there for 2018 GT PP1? Or has anyone developed their own solution?
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Couldn’t the ductwork be plumbed from the front fascia vents below the fog/parking lights?

I’m pretty sure those black plastic vents can be removed and something fabbed to fit in there.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Couldn’t the ductwork be plumbed from the front fascia vents below the fog/parking lights?

I’m pretty sure those black plastic vents can be removed and something fabbed to fit in there.
That is sort of what I'm looking at right now. To be honest, I was thinking beyond brake cooling ducts. I was actually trying to see if we could mount coolers in those areas.

keeph8n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
I have been looking at taking the Roush pieces that go under the front fog lights and modifying those for bringing in cold air for a Oil and Transmission Cooler.

It looks like you could modify the lower grille like Vorshlag did and use it to route brake cooling ducts(my plan as well).

GT350Brakes.com

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
GT350 TP
I have multiple customers running the AP discs. Some competively including myself, none of us have needed ducting. The oem discs simply do not release the heat quickly or efficiently enough.

With my testing using disc temp paint you’d save yourself a lot of hassle adding ducting and maintaining their functionality.

Sponsored

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I have multiple customers running the AP discs. Some competively including myself, none of us have needed ducting. The oem discs simply do not release the heat quickly or efficiently enough.

With my testing using disc temp paint you’d save yourself a lot of hassle adding ducting and maintaining their functionality.
I can confirm that. From the time I got off track to the paddock, temps were mid 400's. Within a couple of minutes after that, they were in the low 300's. Center rotor temps never went over 300.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Vorshlag did some 3” ducts with oval inlets on their project car, but looked like they custom fabricated the parts they needed, cause they can do that.

Lots of pics tho on their build blog of the ducts.

OP
OP
SgdriskillGT

SgdriskillGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
Vorshlag did some 3” ducts with oval inlets on their project car, but looked like they custom fabricated the parts they needed, cause they can do that.

Lots of pics tho on their build blog of the ducts.
Yea I posted a message on their blog to see if they were going to productize that set but I didn’t get a reply. Wouldn’t hurt to ask again...or to use those as a model to make my own.

Thanks!

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
OP
OP
SgdriskillGT

SgdriskillGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
here's a base velocity plot for 100mph. i think the air under the car would be at a low pressure/ high speed (pressure differential needed for NACA duct) whereas if you removed a fog light you would have a much higher pressure
mustang.JPG

Oceanside_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
here's a base velocity plot for 100mph. i think the air under the car would be at a low pressure/ high speed (pressure differential needed for NACA duct) whereas if you removed a fog light you would have a much higher pressure
mustang.JPG
But isn't that the benefit of a naca duct on a low pressure surface? Serious question because i don't know lol.

Oceanside_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
But isn't that the benefit of a naca duct on a low pressure surface? Serious question because i don't know lol.
Also, wouldn't this make it more necessary for vented fenders or the like to let the extra air in the wheel area escape? I would think this would reduce downforce.

OP
OP
SgdriskillGT

SgdriskillGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
mustang.JPG
@ihasnostang where did you get that model? Any way you can share it?

Also wondering what CFD software you used. I work for ANSYS so I have access to Fluent, but I don’t have the model you have.

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
@ihasnostang where did you get that model? Any way you can share it?

Also wondering what CFD software you used. I work for ANSYS so I have access to Fluent, but I don’t have the model you have.
yeah i can send it to you tonight when i get home. That was from ansys discovery live demo
Sponsored