Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Air Cooled Twins by Comp Turbo
The 6R80 is proven however the forward planetary is the weak link, once you do a billet planetary or a 4R200 hub it's pretty much bulletproof. The clutch packs in the 6R80 have more surface area than the 10R80, I put money on it that the 2018's running 8.01 on a 10R80 are smoking those clutches and have those transmissions out more than they care to tell you. I smoked the Mc Leod ones at 900 whp.
^^^This the truth. Pulled my 10r80 4 times and the last time we pulled it a Turbo 400 took its place. You always hear the good. When something bad happens it is swept under the rug.
i have my 17 at limitless in Houston getting turbo’d and 6r80 swapped.....they see no issues with getting 1500rwhp with billet internals, clutch packs and circle d converter?

they have 2018’s running 8.01’s daily driven on 10r80’s. They actually talked me out of a glide swap and stick witht he 6r80
Good luck.
Sponsored

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
^^^This the truth. Pulled my 10r80 4 times and the last time we pulled it a Turbo 400 took its place. You always hear the good. When something bad happens it is swept under the rug.
Good luck.
nah, these guys are legit.....they are the first ones to mention if something doesnt work.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
There have been 2 companies that claim to have Stage 1, 2 or 3 10R80 builds, ever wonder why no one has ever seen one.

Sponsored

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
Multiple people have bought different stages of the 10r80's from LPF.

You guys can go to my youtube and watch where I list any change to my car. I don't care to hide or lie about it because I am essentially representing a company and trying to help grow more business. My trans has been pulled multiple times. First time was when we replaced the clutches. I went multiple 9.0's and a lot of street racing with the stock trans at 900+. Trans didn't like the 3-4 shift when I was on anything above 13lbs before building it. Justin then swapped clutches in it and then I went 8's. Then raced on that for a long time. Finally built the motor and went a fastest of 8.23 at mod nationals. Had to pull the trans because of the factory front bushing in the converter pushed itself out and could no longer stall the car up. Clutches were inspected and everything still looked fresh so did not replace anything except filter and fluid and put a stock converter in for the time being while mine was being rebuilt by circle D. I then went 8.19 and started having crazy drivability issues. Pulled the trans inspected everything again, this time replaced the valve body and it drove like brand new, also put my circle d converter back in. Then went and did everything from multiple 8.0 passes to huge wheelies and again lots of street racing with the car. Had to pull it again just before TX2K because I broke the stater in the converter. Once again rest of the trans inspected everything still looked very fresh but could see some wear here and there. Raced all during 2k on the streets. Didn't get to race at the track, showed up a day late. Had no clue they changed the schedule two days before the event.

There is another member in here that just got he same build I did as far as trans. There is a white one as well that is on my channel that pretty close to a full weight car and has been 8.1's multiple times that has the same build as my trans. Another orange fury has a stage 1 package I believe in Dallas. Those are just a few that I have talked to and I'm sure there is more.

Just because someone elses doesn't work does not mean others aren't. Like I said I have no reason to lie, fib, or bullshit my way about my car. If that hoe blows up it blows up.
A lot of it comes down to the driver and your tuner. Reviewing logs, feeling if anything is off and watching temps all come into play when making parts last. I'm watching my AFR, boost and temps while going down the track running bottom 8 second passes. If you're going to push cars as hard as most of us are in this forum you need to make sure you're doing your end as well.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
.......aaaaaaaaand crickets from the keyboard warriors

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
There have been 2 companies that claim to have Stage 1, 2 or 3 10R80 builds, ever wonder why no one has ever seen one.
Thanks for all your insights and contributions to the forum. .
I have Mcleod clutches in my 10r80 but I know it’s on borrowed time .
Not sure if it’s my motor(slightly down compression on one cylinder ), exhaust due to restriction with the magnaflow resonator (I have cat delete ) or the tuning (including trans ) but car did not go as fast as I would have expected with the Gen 5 /six rib 3.25 pulley last year - best ET was 9.7 and trap was 143 mph . I think it’s down 4-5 mph .
I had a converter but it broke (I think due to second gear launches ) so I went back to the stock one

Not looking to break any records but looking to go 8’s sometime this year when I swap in my built motor /and swap to a 10 rib .
I like to have spares (to avoid downtime )so I snagged a used 10r80 with only 800 mikes for about $2K . I planned to build it up so I have a spare when the one in the car gives out (or may swap in with the new motor ).
I know you added extra clutches to yours and was hoping you could share any info .
I can’t turn a wrench but I can share with my tech who will be doing the rebuild .

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple

You guys can go to my youtube and watch where I list any change to my car. I don't care to hide or lie about it because I am essentially representing a company and trying to help grow more business. My trans has been pulled multiple times. First time was when we replaced the clutches. I went multiple 9.0's and a lot of street racing with the stock trans at 900+. Trans didn't like the 3-4 shift when I was on anything above 13lbs before building it. Justin then swapped clutches in it and then I went 8's. Then raced on that for a long time. Finally built the motor and went a fastest of 8.23 at mod nationals. Had to pull the trans because of the factory front bushing in the converter pushed itself out and could no longer stall the car up. Clutches were inspected and everything still looked fresh so did not replace anything except filter and fluid and put a stock converter in for the time being while mine was being rebuilt by circle D. I then went 8.19 and started having crazy drivability issues. Pulled the trans inspected everything again, this time replaced the valve body and it drove like brand new, also put my circle d converter back in. Then went and did everything from multiple 8.0 passes to huge wheelies and again lots of street racing with the car. Had to pull it again just before TX2K because I broke the stater in the converter. Once again rest of the trans inspected everything still looked very fresh but could see some wear here and there. Raced all during 2k on the streets. Didn't get to race at the track, showed up a day late. Had no clue they changed the schedule two days before the event.

There is another member in here that just got he same build I did as far as trans. There is a white one as well that is on my channel that pretty close to a full weight car and has been 8.1's multiple times that has the same build as my trans. Another orange fury has a stage 1 package I believe in Dallas. Those are just a few that I have talked to and I'm sure there is more.

Just because someone elses doesn't work does not mean others aren't. Like I said I have no reason to lie, fib, or bullshit my way about my car. If that hoe blows up it blows up.
A lot of it comes down to the driver and your tuner. Reviewing logs, feeling if anything is off and watching temps all come into play when making parts last. I'm watching my AFR, boost and temps while going down the track running bottom 8 second passes. If you're going to push cars as hard as most of us are in this forum you need to make sure you're doing your end as well.
Thank also for sharing your experience .
Your car is a beast .

Can you share what goes in the different stages of the LPF built 10R80 transmissions ?

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

In my opinion if there is a stage 1,2 or 3 10R80 upgrade these companies should market it and inform people what they are doing. No one is going to hand over the $ without knowing what is being done, the 10R80 has a strong input shaft and the planetary gear sets seem to be holding up. The clutch packs are small in dia compared to the 6R80 for example so the only way to reduce the chance of slippage is to use a different friction material or add more friction plates to increase the holding power. Currently the GPZ by Raybestos are the only frictions available so if you aren't adding more frictions into the clutch packs you have no way of increasing holding power. I build my own motors and transmissions @ 924 whp I slipped the C,D,E & F clutch packs and that was with the GPZ material, I have now added more clutch count to those packs to increase the holding power. A lot of times when someone has a problem shops say I've never heard of that or we don't have that problem , when in fact others have had the same issues. You obviously have a lot of money and work into your car and congrats but I can tell you there is no way that your trans is holding up pass after pass with just the standard count with the GPZ frictions.

Sponsored

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
.......aaaaaaaaand crickets from the keyboard warriors
This time it's not about keyboard warriors it's about personal experience with the 10R80. If your car is a 2017 you have a MT 82 or a 6R80 so I don't expect you to have personal experience with the issues the 10R80 has at higher power levels.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Just like I said you won't hold over 900 whp with just the GPZ and stock count, you have to add more frictions.
Sponsored