Sponsored

2018/19 Shelby GT500 Mustang Spotted! Twin Turbo V8 Powered? [UPDATED WITH VIDEO]

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Wtf.
I heard the new GT500 will be powered by a 4.5L powerstroke.
I live in the Detroit area and I seen the test mule. It is in fact a diesel.
And no it will not be all wheel drive. It'll be 4 wheel drive.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I heard the same. 4 wheel drive and Bi-Twin Turbos inside the V that feed a single compound twinscroll turbo outside the V that's spooled by an electric supercharger.

Sponsored

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Why are all of you guys spreading these ridiculous lies that aren't even semi believable.

FACT: The new GT500 will be powered by a Flux Plane Capacitor (FPC for short). It will go back in time and stop John Connor from ever inventing the Camaro.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
What autos can handle 8,250rpm? It would be lame to have a 7,000rpm GT350

You do realize the NFGT has 1 throttle body and 1 intake manifold like the CobraJet? :headbonk:

Man you spew a lot of BS arguing about semantics.

Dodge and Mitsubishi called their Stealth/3000GT a "Twin Turbo" and like the NFGT it has 2 turbos, 2 intercoolers, 1 throttle body and 1 I take manifold. Twin and BiT are just semantics.
Yeah? That's fantastic!!!

Sorry, if a Twin is identical in this situation and completely independent, it's not an honest to god Twin Turbo. You can dumb it down all you want, he'll, call them all Ecoboost for all I care.

The GT500 engine most likely will not be a Twin. No matter how badly you want that to be incorrect. A Cobra Jet shared a lot of hardware between the turbos. That is where the Twin ends. Nissan used Twin Turbo intakes on a inline 6. Each turbo boosted a cylinder bank OR, in this case, it's on set of cylinders... PERIOD.

Once a "Twin" becomes dependent on a shared system (intake), it's merely two turbos, BiTurbo, Double, Two... whatever you wanna market it as. Did anyone ask WHY a Cobra Jet only used a single TB? What is the use of two turbos if they can't work independently?
That is where a Sequential, Compound or Staged Turbo comes in.

...and that is exactly what thePill has been saying. Around and around we go just to say he was right.

What are the chances they use a Hot V Twin vs. a Compound Scorpion?

Someone claimed there wasn't room for a Twin or a Turbo in general. Well, they didn't look at the Hot V or Scorpion build. There IS room. There is no room for a Twin or a Siamese CJ system at all. If it will be a Twin, it will be a Hot V. Didn't you say a Hor V would fit?

No need to be upset.

thePill said it would be an Ecoboost of some kind. Also brought the 808hp number up. I'm putting displacement up as well as a Compound/Sequential that NOBODY here has ever apparently heard of... we will see soon.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I heard the same. 4 wheel drive and Bi-Twin Turbos inside the V that feed a single compound twinscroll turbo outside the V that's spooled by an electric supercharger.
It is unfortunate you do not want to understand the difference.

Use AMG as an example.

The AMG 5.5 BiTurbo and the AMG 4.0 BiTurbo.

First off, do you know why Merc calls their "Twin Turbo" a BiTurbo? Because the BiTurbo does't use a front mounted intercooler and it uses engine coolant to cool the intakes.

The BIG difference between the 5.5 and 4.0 is mounting.

The 5.5 uses a Parallel Turbo system. Each turbo is mounted in traditional locations. You and many others are convinced this won't fit and that is 100% correct. The GT500 or S550 looks like it needs some major reworking for one to fit. Even using a BiTurbo system co-dependent on cooling (AMG) OR air/fuel delivery (CJ) won't work.

AMG's 4.0 is a Hot V BiTurbo. It is NOT a Parallel Twin Turbo... BOTH turbos are mounted in the V. A Pushrod engine cannot support this design. A Hot V has a totally unique design.

It is similar in design to Ford's Scorpion which uses a Sequential or Compound Turbo.

I expect Ford to use a Hot V design and I believe it will be a Sequential or Compound Turbo.

None of these systems are interchangeable with Twin Turbo... The Ford GT uses a Twin Turbo V6 which is much easier to packaged mid-engine.

You said a Twin Turbo won't fit... and it won't. Not a Parallel Twin Turbo... a Hot V BiTurbo will fit (see AMG 4.0).and it uses two turbos... but has no forward mounted exchanger and uses engine coolant to cool the intake. Do you now understand the difference? AMG does their best to explain it. I do understand Ford had a Prototype Cobra Jet that was called a Twin Turbo. I just wouldn't say the same thing. The CJ was very, very unique and needed access to air and AC delete.

Ford owns the patent on the Honeywells... all they need to do is flip the exhaust ports.

10splaya22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
F150

Sorry, if a Twin is identical in this situation and completely independent, it's not an honest to god Twin Turbo. You can dumb it down all you want, he'll, call them all Ecoboost for all I care.

The GT500 engine most likely will not be a Twin. No matter how badly you want that to be incorrect. A Cobra Jet shared a lot of hardware between the turbos. That is where the Twin ends. Nissan used Twin Turbo intakes on a inline 6. Each turbo boosted a cylinder bank OR, in this case, it's on set of cylinders... PERIOD.

Once a "Twin" becomes dependent on a shared system (intake), it's merely two turbos, BiTurbo, Double, Two... whatever you wanna market it as. Did anyone ask WHY a Cobra Jet only used a single TB? What is the use of two turbos if they can't work independently?

...and that is exactly what thePill has been saying. Around and around we go just to say he was right.

What are the chances they use a Hot V Twin vs. a Compound Scorpion?

Someone claimed there wasn't room for a Twin or a Turbo in general. Well, they didn't look at the Hot V or Scorpion build. There IS room. There is no room for a Twin or a Siamese CJ system at all. If it will be a Twin, it will be a Hot V. Didn't you say a Hor V would fit?

No need to be upset.

thePill said it would be an Ecoboost of some kind. Also brought the 808hp number up. I'm putting displacement up as well as a Compound/Sequential that NOBODY here has ever apparently heard of... we will see soon.
Well here is proof you are completely wrong. The 3.5L Ecoboost v6 is called a twin turbo by Ford AND Car and Driver yet it uses 2 turbos (1 bank of cylinders per turbo) and SHARES an intake/throttle body. I will take Ford's opinion over yours. You have shared a bunch of BS in this thread and unfortunately there are many people that listen to you for some reason.
Capture.JPG
Capture 2.JPG
1280px-Frontendcutright.jpg

flaps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX

Sponsored

flaps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX
Here is a great explanation of the turbo they will likely use.

Technically, they call it a Single Turbo BUT, you can see that it does indeed have a low and high pressure Turbo.

The exhaust actually wraps up behind the engine and into the V.
http://m.wardsauto.com/news-analysis/turbo-placement-bmw-v-8-may-be-new-design-trend

FYI, if Ford wanted to do a parallel twin turbo, why can't it fit?

BMW designed a Twin in the V and Ford has a Compound Turbo in the V as well. BOTH leech exhaust from the back.

It's either the Scorpion or similar to a BMW twin... both systems share an exchanger and it can be done. Of course, BMW or AMG has a Tri-Turbo which is a parallel sequential... A Compound Turbo driving a Twin turbo system...

This is the design they will use. Completely untraditional...
What are you talking about that on these Hot-V engines the exhaust wraps up behind the engine to "leech exhaust gases from the back?"

That's not how they work at all. Hot-V means the intake and exhaust manifolds are switched. The intake is on the outside of the engine and the exhaust is inside the V. Then the turbo(s) are placed inside the V because that is where the exhaust is.

BMW:
1271E8234A53EFD801220B.jpg

Ford Diesel:
power-stroke-inboard-exhaust-630.gif

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many

So you've never heard of the RB26 which powered the Nissan R32-34 GTRs?

(Its an inline-6 with 2 equally sized turbos fed by 3 cylinders each and utilizes 1 intercooler, 1 throttle body, and 1 intake manifold that feeds all 6 cylinders).

I don't know why you keep making this stuff up and making stupid claims that are easily proven wrong. :shrug:

Please... just stop.

HCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
What are you talking about that on these Hot-V engines the exhaust wraps up behind the engine to "leech exhaust gases from the back?"

That's not how they work at all. Hot-V means the intake and exhaust manifolds are switched. The intake is on the outside of the engine and the exhaust is inside the V. Then the turbo(s) are placed inside the V because that is where the exhaust is.

I don't know why you keep making this stuff up and making stupid claims that are easily proven wrong. :shrug:

Please... just stop.
I've learned a few things in my brief time on these forums:

a) thePill will continue to refer to himself in the third person, despite being told repeatedly that it makes him look like a creep, or worse, a politician.

b) thePill has his own made up terminology and you can quote him every automotive authority on earth but he will only double down on his definitions.

c) No matter what the GT500 ends up powered by, thePill will proclaim "I CALLED IT" because at one time or another he's proposed literally every engine configuration imaginable, and a few that aren't.

flaps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX
So you've never heard of the RB26 which powered the Nissan R32-34 GTRs?

(Its an inline-6 with 2 equally sized turbos fed by 3 cylinders each and utilizes 1 intercooler, 1 throttle body, and 1 intake manifold that feeds all 6 cylinders).

Please... just stop.
I like how his made-up definitions keep changing as the thread goes on too. Earlier in the thread it was twin-turbo=parallel, biturbo=sequential. Now a twin turbo has to have two intercoolers and intake manifolds and a biturbo can be sequential or parallel.

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
Hey, hey watch it, you are talking about thePill :lol::shrug:
a) thePill will continue to refer to himself in the third person, despite being told repeatedly that it makes him look like a creep, or worse, a politician.

b) thePill has his own made up terminology and you can quote him every automotive authority on earth but he will only double down on his definitions.

c) No matter what the GT500 ends up powered by, thePill will proclaim "I CALLED IT" because at one time or another he's proposed literally every engine configuration imaginable, and a few that aren't.
Sponsored