Sponsored

2018/19 Shelby GT500 Mustang Spotted! Twin Turbo V8 Powered? [UPDATED WITH VIDEO]

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Pictures were leaked of a Roush test car that clearly had GT350 bodywork but the front end was disguised/masked. Speculation initially was that it was testing GT500 engine components; some people insist it was just hiding a redesigned GT350 nose for '18. Nobody can prove anything conclusively since Ford and Roush aren't talking.
Oh yeah for sure I knew that. So essentially nothing leaked at all, no conclusive evidence. In fact I believe I even mentioned in my opinion it was a '18 model 350 much earlier in this thread. Haha.

Storm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197 Mustang
Where did you see the leaked info for the '18 350 model? I don't remember seeing anything myself.
In addition to the above comments about the spy pics, the fact that it was very very rare to get a gt350 without adm also tells Ford how much of a demand there was. It'd be a poor business discussion to not continue to capitalize on the demand...

... Unless of course we get another specialty model soon :)

HCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
the fact that it was very very rare to get a gt350 without adm also tells Ford how much of a demand there was. It'd be a poor business discussion to not continue to capitalize on the demand...

... Unless of course we get another specialty model soon :)
I'm surprised by the lack of production capacity implicit in comments like this. Yes, demand is still strong for the GT350 and for sure there's pent up demand for a GT500. Why wouldn't Ford want to produce both models? They're for sure the most profitable per unit.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'm surprised by the lack of production capacity implicit in comments like this. Yes, demand is still strong for the GT350 and for sure there's pent up demand for a GT500. Why wouldn't Ford want to produce both models? They're for sure the most profitable per unit.
I don't think Ford makes that much selling a few Shelbys compared to all the F-150s and Focuses (Foci?). My opinion is they make these cars more for the halo effect the special cars give to the brand, rather than profits.

Having said that, the Boss302 and GT500 sold at the same time, so you never know. I think Ford also reacts to customer demand...

Sponsored

93 347 Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 SVT Mustangs (all sold)
Source?

If so its for F-250's.
Ford's EOY 2015 UAW Contract page 8 under Romeo engine plant investments. Ford has grabbed truck displacements before and used for the Mustang. I'd bet the new 6.2 derivative is a 5.8 or maybe slightly smaller.

Very few posting on here have posted much in the way of technical reasoning backing up their guesses. Going from 5.8 to 5.2 and increasing power by at least 50 ponies over Trinity is no easy task. 100-mm bore spacing and 720 or more horses presents a ton of engineering challenges to meet durability standards. Not much real estate for gaskets or cooling passages to keep the exhaust valves at reasonable temps.

This will be a new motor we've never seen before. CPC? Sure. 5.2? I kindly doubt it.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
@thePill , what's the chances packaging could be easier with a SC/TC setup (two charging), such as in the Volvo T6 package?... Or would that be less feasible in a larger cubic-inch engine?
~1500hp. Standard Miami V8 as found in the last Falcon, which is a Coyote with stronger bottom end + 1900 blower. Daniel's added the turbo setup.

http://vid218.photobucket.com/albums/cc25/4964fxc/PSI%20Miami/Compound_zps5f1igb63.mp4

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11455094

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Good gracious a'mighty!!!

What a feat of engineering my good man!!! :cheers::ford:
Certainly something isn't it.

Whatever Ford do I feel it'll be not "the usual". They need to push the envelopes if consistency is anything. They certainly did that with the GT350, and it goes without saying the GT500 should attract an equal approach. It's engine will be unique with - what I think - no expense spared.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Certainly something isn't it.

Whatever Ford do I feel it'll be not "the usual". They need to push the envelopes if consistency is anything. They certainly did that with the GT350, and it goes without saying the GT500 should attract an equal approach. It's engine will be unique with - what I think - no expense spared.
Thoroughly agreed!

Sponsored

HCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
I don't think Ford makes that much selling a few Shelbys compared to all the F-150s and Focuses (Foci?). My opinion is they make these cars more for the halo effect the special cars give to the brand, rather than profits.

Having said that, the Boss302 and GT500 sold at the same time, so you never know. I think Ford also reacts to customer demand...
The F-150 and Focus are irrelevant -- they're not produced on the same assembly line. What I was getting at is that for every assembly line there is only so much capacity but that line can produce a mix of different trim levels. So it makes sense that you'd want to prioritize high profit trim levels, as long as there was sufficient underlying demand.

This talk of just ending GT350 production while demand is so strong -- I just don't get it. Yeah, it'd be understandable if it was a limited production car, but it most certainly is NOT limited production. Low production, but not limited. Limited production is like the Ford GT where you announce a certain production target and stop there regardless of market demand.

EDIT: and if GT350 demand started to slow down in '17, they could massively revitalize it if they offered the 10-speed. The way most other performance cars go, over half (if not more) the purchases go to auto-equipped cars. Which means that there is certainly untapped demand for an auto-equipped GT350.

Last edited:

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
The F-150 and Focus are irrelevant -- they're not produced on the same assembly line. What I was getting at is that for every assembly line there is only so much capacity but that line can produce a mix of different trim levels. So it makes sense that you'd want to prioritize high profit trim levels, as long as there was sufficient underlying demand.

This talk of just ending GT350 production while demand is so strong -- I just don't get it. Yeah, it'd be understandable if it was a limited production car, but it most certainly is NOT limited production. Low production, but not limited. Limited production is like the Ford GT where you announce a certain production target and stop there regardless of market demand.
https://media.ford.com/content/ford...nd-production-of-all-new-ford-gt-superca.html

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis

EDIT: and if GT350 demand started to slow down in '17, they could massively revitalize it if they offered the 10-speed. The way most other performance cars go, over half (if not more) the purchases go to auto-equipped cars. Which means that there is certainly untapped demand for an auto-equipped GT350.

An auto wont happen with the 350, id put money on that. With all the issues on the flat rock assembly line i wouldnt think ford wouldn't want to bog it down anymore with the 350 but its anyone's guess until it happens, but all signs are pointing to an additional year

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
What autos can handle 8,250rpm? It would be lame to have a 7,000rpm GT350

By the way, the moment a twin turbo system quits driving each cylinder bank independently, it ceases to be a Twin... you understand that right?

While it is a fancy trick, simply applying two turbos, charging a single intake (Cobra Jet) and cooling both turbos through the same exchanger (also Cobra Jet), well... the system begins to evolve away from the Twin. Sure, it is still a parallel BiTurbo system meaning, it in fact has two turbos. However, a Twin Turbo, like the exact one found in the Ford GT, requires separate exchangers, has two intakes, one for each side and each turbo breathes independently.
You do realize the NFGT has 1 throttle body and 1 intake manifold like the CobraJet? :headbonk:

Man you spew a lot of BS arguing about semantics.

Dodge and Mitsubishi called their Stealth/3000GT a "Twin Turbo" and like the NFGT it has 2 turbos, 2 intercoolers, 1 throttle body and 1 I take manifold. Twin and BiT are just semantics.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
UPDATE: Ford has announced that it was simply using a Voodoo to test the chassis and suspension. It is now confirmed that the new GT500 will use a fully electric powertrain derived from the open source technologies that Telsa released. This will most likely be the first iteration of these patents outside of Telsa's name badge. Just like the flagship Telsas, there will be several modes including a Ludicrous Mode equivalent and a range of approximately 400 miles in Comfort.

GOTCHA! :lol::bolt:
Sponsored