Sponsored

2018/19 Shelby GT500 Mustang Spotted! Twin Turbo V8 Powered? [UPDATED WITH VIDEO]

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
I still want a 4.0L V-6 TT power V setup in the GT-350 chassis and suspension.

Close to 650hp with a 3200-3400 weight.

Keeping the weight off the nose.
Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback

That would be one bad MF'er:eyebulge:

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis

Im thinking thats whats coming in the s650...maybe not 650HP but 600.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Id pay 100k... hate to say it but i may be dropping 150k on a GM in a couple years. If ford built something similar and not limited to 500 cars i'd buy theirs.

Sponsored

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
That's a 100k car. Won't happen, and only because of the weight.
I do not think so. More use of Aluminum and lighter weight interior stuff.

My Z06 is in the 3200 pound range.

I think if Ford built that car for 70-75K and it could compete somewhat with the Grandsport they might have a market.

V-6TT isn't groundbreaking. Power V is not new either and helps with packaging. Especially if they used the GT motor.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

That would be one way to enhance performance, but just going to a V6 doesn't get rid of that many pounds. Other major changes would be needed to the chassis to get the weight so low.

I'm also not interested in owning a V6 car. It will really suck if all the V8s start going away. I might just keep what I have for many years. Maybe add some turbos in 3 or 4 years. With more and more autonomy coming and government regulations getting tougher - possibly it's unavoidable that an old-fashioned guy like me will stop buying new stuff.

To me absolute speed isn't the most important thing. 99% of the time I'm on the street and I can't open the car up anyway. A car has to be fun to putt around in, or why should I buy it?

Id pay 100k... hate to say it but i may be dropping 150k on a GM in a couple years. If ford built something similar and not limited to 500 cars i'd buy theirs.
If a mid-engine corvette becomes reality and really is around 150k, I couldn't blame you for buying one of their products. 150k is beyond my means, but a mid engine corvette at that price would be very tempting. I'm prepared to be surprised if they can keep it so cheap, though. GM products seem to typically be higher priced than Fords at the moment.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I do not think so. More use of Aluminum and lighter weight interior stuff.

My Z06 is in the 3200 pound range.

I think if Ford built that car for 70-75K and it could compete somewhat with the Grandsport they might have a market.

V-6TT isn't groundbreaking. Power V is not new either and helps with packaging. Especially if they used the GT motor.
Not likely. The primary reason it can't happen is cost. We can't have an aluminum (unibody and panels) for the price of a base ecoboost (27-29k?).

People thought the Camaro took a major increase in price? Wait until the base ecoboost is 40k haha.

We will likely NEVER see a mustang below 3500lbs as a V8 at this current size without having to resort to major structural alloy changes = $$$.

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
That would be one way to enhance performance, but just going to a V6 doesn't get rid of that many pounds. Other major changes would be needed to the chassis to get the weight so low.

I'm also not interested in owning a V6 car. It will really suck if all the V8s start going away. I might just keep what I have for many years. Maybe add some turbos in 3 or 4 years. With more and more autonomy coming and government regulations getting tougher - possibly it's unavoidable that an old-fashioned guy like me will stop buying new stuff.

To me absolute speed isn't the most important thing. 99% of the time I'm on the street and I can't open the car up anyway. A car has to be fun to putt around in, or why should I buy it?

So you wouldn't own a Grand National? Or a Ford GT? Come on. Fast is fast and being nimble adds to the experience. How about a 300 hp 4 cylinder Ariel Atom? Those things are rockets.

If a mid-engine corvette becomes reality and really is around 150k, I couldn't blame you for buying one of their products. 150k is beyond my means, but a mid engine corvette at that price would be very tempting. I'm prepared to be surprised if they can keep it so cheap, though. GM products seem to typically be higher priced than Fords at the moment.
Marginally for the same class of car though. The new Camaro is lighter and more h.p. Just wish it wasn't so God awful looking.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Marginally for the same class of car though. The new Camaro is lighter and more h.p. Just wish it wasn't so God awful looking.
Serious. Looks like a 19 year old anime loving kid designed it. That same kid loves flat asses too...

Sponsored

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
Ain't no damn way on earth I'd even consider putting > $70k in a Chevrolet.
In 20 years Kias will cost 70 grand the way we are going.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
So you wouldn't own a Grand National? Or a Ford GT? Come on. Fast is fast and being nimble adds to the experience. How about a 300 hp 4 cylinder Ariel Atom? Those things are rockets.
No, I would never own a Grand National. I think they are cool but they are not for me. I'm completely done with wanting any 80s car, honestly. Couch seats don't appeal at all. They aren't even very fast by today's standards.

Ford GT is interesting to me, but frankly it's difficult to mentally envision being able to afford one. If I had $400k to throw around I'd probably have a Viper ACR and a GT3 and the rest of the money would go to many, many consumables and track days. If I had millions I would want a Ford GT to add to the numerous other vehicles I'd probably own. But when I think of spending over $200k on a car, I want something with a V12 and a sky high red-line, or at least something exotic. It would definitely have 8 or more cylinders. I would rather buy a relatively high miles older Ford GT with the V8 than to have the new one.

The Ariel Atom would be awesome for a track only toy on the one or two days a year when you could comfortably drive it in Minnesota. I wouldn't consider driving it on the road. To me it's a one trick pony and isn't worth what they want for it. If it cost $10-15k I would consider buying one and an enclosed trailer to get it to the track.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Maybe once we see what Ford does to the 2018 GT350 , we will all be so blown away that we will all forget about a GT500.
Sponsored