Sponsored

2017 v6 mustang 500hp goal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang v6
Hey I just bought a 2017 mustang v6 I'm looking to turbo it to make 500hp reliable is this possible. I seen auto mafia racing makes a kit at a good price. it's currently stock except for a sct x4 tuner on it and its a 6 speed manual.
My main concern is reliability as it'll be my daily and I'm also looking for anything and everything that I'll need as I'd want to buy there tuner kit so I could peace most of everything else together I'm looking for 500 whp
Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
I think that's asking a lot of that little V6, on pump gas especially. Then add in that it would be much cheaper just to sell the car and get a GT as a starting point by the time all is said and done.

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Or think about going with a procharger.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang v6
What's the difference as far as power goes from the procharger to the turbo? And the cheapest v8 I can find with the same milage as my v6 is a little over 10k more then I gave for the v6

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Call Terry at beefcake racing , he can answer a ton of things for ya .

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
AMR Turbo kit is definitely the way to go on the Cyclone for power. You'll be able to get 500 easily with that on 93 and have no problem pushing higher than that with E85. If you want it with a Procharger, you'll have to go down a few belt sizes and it'll be a lot harder on the engine. If you keep the Procharger "stock" it'll be closer to 350-400 range.

While the GT guys above may mean well, they probably aren't as aware for the Cyclone platform and what it is capable of or what people are doing with them. But, AMR's "complete" kit with the turbo setup and tune is already $7k only for the "go" side of things and you'll probably want to beef up your suspension, brakes, and wheels/tires as well.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang v6
Awesome that's great to hear that the cyclone is a viable platform would the amr kit be able to keep the car reliable?

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
If you turbo your V6, you have to have the mindset that it’s funny when things break and you don’t mind throwing away motors and upgrading additional parts as needed. Also, the suspension will not be happy until you replace a bunch of stuff, so budget it in.

If it bothers you at all to throw away a motor, do not do this. Even with a naturally aspirated V6 I broke the flywheel twice, killed a motor, and the rear end was apart so often I had a reusable gasket. Car was mainly used for autocross and only went drag racing 3 times.

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
If you are looking for daily reliability, going for 500 HP on the 3.7 is not going to hit that goal. The 3.7 is not the most boost friendly platform, although the ProCharger has had the most success long term.

I tried to turbo my 2013. Made a lot of power, for a while, on 7lbs of boost. But after blowing up 3 engines I gave up. In retrospect, I should have gone with the proven ProCharger instead.

Any boost over 7 lbs is potentially a break point on that open deck platform. While it is similar to the 3.5 ecoboost, it is not the same block and has several weaknesses.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang v6
Oh okay so what do you recommend to boost the power? I'm more interested in turbos over the procharger. I've herd alot of people braking stuff using the procharger

Sponsored

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
Oh okay so what do you recommend to boost the power? I'm more interested in turbos over the procharger. I've herd alot of people braking stuff using the procharger
Watch the boost level and the tuning. My first engine was a bad tune. Second engine lost was an overboost problem - the 7 lb wastegate spring was hitting 15 lbs of boost, too much for the open deck. Third engine we had solved the overboost and got no more than 7 lbs, but ended up with serious blow-by. I think that may have been due to an error on the part of the guy who installed that engine though, I am not sure that the did the crank relearn and so the timing was not what we thought in the tuning and burned a hole in a piston.

The ProCharger is the only power adder that I have seen with long term success. I haven't seen a lot of people breaking with that, unless they tried to get "more power" and went over 8 lbs of boost. I wouldn't do anything more than that if you want reliability. MRT had the ProCharger on their 2012 SEMA car, and they tracked that car and drove it hard and never had an issue with it.

The guy who bought my turbo kit when I removed it said he was going to run 15 lbs and that he knew someone who could tune for it. I advised him against it but he was sure he knew better. Their plan was to move up incrementally and started with 10 lbs. Three weeks after putting the turbo on and tuning it he blew up.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang v6
Have you seen the auto mafia racing stuff? What do you think and thank you for the information how much hp do you think u can run with the procharger and is there a kit you recommend?

JoeSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, Manual
Sharing this with my friend so he can make an educated decision

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang v6
Tell him to check out auto mafia racing and contact them they know alot about them and sell a turbo kit for about 3500 that can put him into the 450hp at the wheels kit
Sponsored