Sponsored

2017 stock Mustang GT Struggling to warm start after clutch repair.

Nick z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Here’s a back story, my problem is at the bottom of this thread.
I bought a bone stock 17 GT and the clutch, slave, TOB, flywheel, CSPS, was all replaced by a Ford dealer after it blew at 13k miles. They never did a crank re-learn so I had a check engine light. Brought it back to them for a re-learn and then the car was struggling to start when I got home. Sometimes takes two push button cycles. So then they gave me a new battery and checked fuel pressure, injectors, fuel pump. I left the dealer and SAME issue was happening it would crank and crank but no fire up initially then it would barely start on the last crank of the cycle. So I take it back again and they pull the trans again to find a ton of debris logged up in the “exciter ring” I was told. (From my understanding the exciter ring is what the crank position sensor gets its readings from) Also I had to get a new crank shaft position sensor because it was stuffed with debris from the clutch exploding. After that nightmare the car still doesn’t start right.

^ That’s the backstory in case it helps but here’s my issue: I cold start my car and it fires up just fine, then I go for a little cruise and shut it off and park. If I try and start the car 5-15 minutes after I park it and it’s still warm it will crank for a whole cycle if not 2 cycles to start it. It also says on the instrument cluster “charging system service” with a picture of a battery as if the battery is dead but the car fires up fine every morning or cold start. Sometimes if it’s struggling so bad to fire up the car will pause the cranking and I’ll hear 1 or 2 clicking sounds for a quick second. It’s never NOT started and left me stranded but this is super annoying considering I didn’t have it until the dealership did a clutch replacement. Any ideas would help a ton thank you!! I can supply videos of the problem if needed!
Sponsored

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
Almost sounds like my recent issue with the clutch switch going out. I was having warm start issues but never seemed to have cold start issues. Mine is also a 17. Switch finally went out last week at the post office. Car would crank crank crank but never fire. Switch was like $30. Worth a shot maybe.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Switch on the clutch pedal
Starter going bad
Loose cable
Wiring issue
Bad ground
I would redo the crankshaft relearn on my own. Then start data logging/scoping all of these
Sponsored