2017 Stang doors opening unexpectedly

DangeRis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang Convertible Premium
I was wondering if any one else has had issues with their Mustang doors opening unexpectedly while driving? This doesn't happen often, but once is too much!! It has happened on my 2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible.

I've searched and found a recall for springs due to a spring - Driver's Door may Unlatch in a Crash/FMVSS 206
- https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2017/FORD/MUSTANG/C/RWD#recalls

This happens while driving down a road, and more often when it's bumpy.

Please let me know if you're having similar issues..

DangeRis..
Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
No, because ANYONE who would ever have this happen, would take a day off from work and take is directly to the dealer....\\

OP
OP

DangeRis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
No, because ANYONE who would ever have this happen, would take a day off from work and take is directly to the dealer....\\
Thanks for the update ... Just a quick FYI.. I did take it to the dealer, and paid to have them check it out... and they had NO IDEA and could not recreate the problem.

I myself and my wife can attest, that each of the doors have opened up while driving. Randomly, never in the same place, sometimes on hardly bumpy roads to not at all over very bumpy roads. Nothing to replace, check out or cover if it's not repeatable. That is why I'm here asking to see if ANYONE else may have had this issue.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
And that Dealer let you drive back off the lot..? And not in a loaner..?

Without notifying the NHTSA..?

Sponsored

motodad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Whipple Boosted; 2020 F350 PSD
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2017. Never had the door randomly open while driving or feel like they were about to open. I had never heard this even may be an issue until this thread.

There have been a few times deep into triple digit speeds that I thought the hood would pop open though..... hahahahaha

Last edited:
OP
OP

DangeRis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
And that Dealer let you drive back off the lot..? And not in a loaner..?

Without notifying the NHTSA..?
Correct, they went through their tests, drove it over some bumpy roads and came back with, "they couldn't find the issue nor recreate it". I've looked all over, checking to see if this is a known issues and finally I thought I'd share it to see if other S550 Stang owners might have had this issue.

Since they couldn't find an issue, I highly doubt they notified the NHTSA.

In some of my research there's some spring that might break in an accident..

"Ford has announced a rare regional recall concerning doors that may not close properly. The issue, affecting some 830,000 vehicles, centers on the pawl spring tab in the side door latch that could break and prevent the door from latching properly. This problem could cause the door to open unexpectedly in certain driving conditions, Ford says.

A total of 828,053 vehicles will be part of the recall, with 766,682 sold in the U.S. The recall will include the

- 2012-15 Focus built between Aug. 1, 2010 and Jan. 31, 2015 at the Michigan Assembly Plant

- 2013-15 C-MAX built between April 19, 2012 and Jan. 31, 2015 at the Michigan Assembly Plant

- 2013-15 Escape built between Oct. 19, 2011 and Jan. 31, 2015 at the Louisville Assembly Plant

- 2015 Lincoln MKC built between Dec. 4, 2013 and Jan. 31, 2015 at the Louisville Assembly Plant

- 2015 Mustang built between May 28, 2014 and April 30, 2015 at the Flat Rock Assembly Plant

- 2014-16 Transit Connect built between Aug. 9, 2013 and Feb. 1, 2016 at the Valencia Assembly Plant"

I've seen that this is also listed on the NHTSA recalls - https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2017/FORD/MUSTANG/C/RWD#recalls

I might have to go back and have them actually check out this recall vs visually inspecting and driving over bumpy roads.. But before the stealership takes more of my $$, I was hoping to hear others having similar issues

DangeRis

StealthFighter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BOB
Vehicle(s)
-2019 GT premium a10 -pp1 -Shadow Black loaded
just because a safety recall does not include your year of mustang does not preclude that fact yours may have the same or very similar problem.

driving it on a test run is not proving anything one way or the other.

you need to have the doors opened up and for all the mechanisms checked . something inside is broken/loose/ or misaligned for the locking mech. to unlock the latches,
and allow the door to open.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I feel your frustration, but the only thing I can think of is that your frame/body is flexing... Being a convertible.

Sponsored

pony1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
This happened to my 2015 built MY16 GT convertible. Had been driving the car for a few kilometres then for no reason the driver's door popped open along with the dashboard warning message.

Reported to dealer and who knows what they did, if anything. But never happened again.

Deleted member 35786

Did you check to see if your VIN has this recall?
It is for only certain vehicles during that year.

I have a 17' GT and have not been notified of this and my VIN does not fall into it. No issues with my doors.

Summary

Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2017 Ford Mustang vehicles. The return spring for the driver side interior door handle may come loose, allowing the driver's door to unlatch in a side impact crash. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 206, "Door Locks and Door Retention Components."

Remedy

Ford will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the driver-side interior door handle and repair the return spring, as necessary, free of charge. The recall began April 14, 2017. Owners may contact Ford at 1-866-436-7332. Ford's number for the recall is 17C04.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Sponsored