Sponsored

2017 PP1 with Pirelli and track handling pack - how does it drive?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
So I've been driving my 2017 Mustang GT PP1 with the Ford Performance track handling pack and Pirelli tires. I installed the track handling pack over the winter.

I've previously owned a GT350 tech pack car with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. I put over 30,000 miles on that car over 3.5 years, so I think I have a pretty good feel for it and am able to compare the cars well.

I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised both with the stock PP1 Pirellis as well as the track handling package. They work really well. The car is low but it doesn't rub like my GT350 used to constantly do. I really don't have to be careful as far as ground clearance goes. And I haven't noticed any tramlining at all. I've read a lot of bad reviews on here about the Pirellis, but so far I quite like them. They are sticky and predictable. I haven't had them on track yet, but for street driving I think they are good. One thing - I usually drive the Fiesta when it's wet or under 45 degrees, so my experience is mostly with dry streets.

Also the FP track handling pack - it is quite firm but not bad at all. I think the car is quite comfortable on the road. It's definitely softer than my stock Fiesta ST suspension. I think it's slightly stiffer than the GT350 tech pack suspension was, but I really like the way the car rides. Just about perfect in my opinion. Body motions are well controlled and the car is very predictable.

The negatives on the 2017 PP1 - I can barely hear the exhaust inside the car. I hear the gearbox and intake noises more than the exhaust. Annoying. I'm considering deleting the piped-in noise from the engine bay to improve this. I put sound deadening in the car like I tend to do in all my cars, so that probably doesn't help with hearing exhaust sounds. However I really prefer to have a car where I don't hear the road noise so much. To me the sound deadening is well worth it.

All in all, I'm glad I chose the car as well as the FP track handling kit. I think it's a good value for what you get. I am planning to upgrade wheels and tires at some point, but I want to get to the track at least once on the Pirellis to see what they are like when they are pushed harder.
Sponsored