Sponsored

2017 Mustang with 7500 miles. Brakes are starting to squeal...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's a car and it's a mustang
Is this something covered by the warranty or will I have to pay out of pocket?
Sponsored

iGovernment

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP A10
You could bring it in but if you have the PP brakes, they just squeal until they are heated up. Mine started doing this around 13k miles :(

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
It's not an actual defect, more of a side effect of the higher performance brake pads. So no, they won't do anything about it.

You could try a few tricks to lessen the noise, but it's pretty much par for the course with these things.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
If you have an EB/PP or non PP GT there is a TSB for squeling brakes. Record the sound on your phone and the dealership will replace the brake pads and rotors for free. Had mine done and they haven't squeled since. 100% covered.

TheBMWguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTpp, '98 328is, '90 240sx, '99 SL500
Mine are BAD. Took it in around 9k miles and they took the brakes apart, scuffed up the pads, and re-applied anti squeal to all parts. They stopped squeaking for about 8 miles and then it was back to normal. My car literally sounds like a 20 year old Buick pulling up to every light. Anyone have any luck switching pads?

Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Big brakes squeal.

My Volvo S60R brembo brakes squealed
My 370z brakes squealed
My mustang brakes didn't squeal but I didn't have the PP.
My scat pack 4 pot brembos squeal and pretty much every hellcat I've seen squeals with their 6 pot brakes.

Porsche got tired of the squealing complaints from the customers and they made this video:
[ame]

ctmonline

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
C.T.
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT/CS & 2017 Mustang GT(SOLD 4/27/18)
my 2017 GT (non-PP) has squeaked since new...at only 1,000 miles the dealer machined the front rotors and replaced the pads, now at 14,000 miles they replaced the rear rotors due to the same issue...thinking of selling it.

AZStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium /Performance
Mine started at 24,000 miles, and dealer did nothing about it. When my brakes are worn I'm going to buy PowerStop rotors and pads. Good reviews and a great price. Just did the same to my wife's VW. So far zero noise, very low dust and good stopping power.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
If a dealership is giving you a hard time about replacing the brakes and rotors for free you should find another dealership. The EB/PP and non PP/GT are 100% covered under a TSB. Record the noise on your phone so you have evidence of the problem. Mine squeled about 70% of the time and have not made a sound since being replaced. Ford will only replace them once so if the brakes still squel after replacement you are on your own but Ford.should at least replace them once.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Make sure your wheels are torqued to 140-150. If I torque to 100, I get squeal. It's a thing... trust me. Wheels have to be torqued right... they hold the rotor on after all.

Also, Powerstop Z26 pads do not squeal, never have on my car. Less initial bite (which I actually like for the most part), especially in cold weather, but they work fine for the street. Not a track pad, IMO. And much less dust.

GLOC's GS-1 are even better, albeit more expensive. And those pads I would be fine with, personally, taking to a beginner track day or a mountain run. No squeal on those from folks I know who have them.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Make sure your wheels are torqued to 140-150. If I torque to 100, I get squeal. It's a thing... trust me. Wheels have to be torqued right... they hold the rotor on after all.

Also, Powerstop Z26 pads do not squeal, never have on my car. Less initial bite (which I actually like for the most part), especially in cold weather, but they work fine for the street. Not a track pad, IMO. And much less dust.

GLOC's GS-1 are even better, albeit more expensive. And those pads I would be fine with, personally, taking to a beginner track day or a mountain run. No squeal on those from folks I know who have them.
GS-1 will completely squeal if you drive them hard enough (even on the street). IMHO they glaze easier than the stock pads did.

If they're squealing too bad, best thing is to remove the pads and check for glazing. If you see any big bright splotches (glazed areas), then hit the pad with some 60-80 grit sandpaper until the glazing is gone. That should quiet them down significantly.

breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
My car was in for a warrantied battery and I asked him if they'd fix the squeal. PP car. They replaced the pads and turned the rotors for free and no more squeal.

Dave2017GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1
My GT PP brakes make all kinds of noises. You name it and mine make them. I just live with it. Embarrassing though on a date. I had one bitch ask me how old my car was.
Sponsored