2017 Mustang GT - Tick / rattle

Mustang666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Styxx
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0 L
Yeh .......Happening here down under in Australia. Oil changed at 5000 klms - @ 9000 klms Rattle started - driving slow through a car park drive thru - I thought timing chain was rattling "brand new car, brand new Ford V8" Wtf.... The NOISE would happen around 900 - 1200 rpms Took it to the Ford dealer said it was okay he had heard worse, just drive the car - However if it gets worse then bring it back....????? Well changed oil for 2nd service 10000klms - guess what, it just got worse.....Really. In Australia we are paying $60,000.00 for up to 2017 model now 2019 model is approx. $75,000.00. Surely there has to be an engineer at Ford that knows what is happening f................me. I thought I was buying a quality Ford Product.With all the previous posts about this issue - have you all got the problem sorted? Any info would be greatly appreciated or better still a FIX. I have never even redlined the engine thinking I will keep the car till I die so I will look after it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
Yeh .......Happening here down under in Australia. Oil changed at 5000 klms - @ 9000 klms Rattle started - driving slow through a car park drive thru - I thought timing chain was rattling "brand new car, brand new Ford V8" Wtf.... The NOISE would happen around 900 - 1200 rpms Took it to the Ford dealer said it was okay he had heard worse, just drive the car - However if it gets worse then bring it back....????? Well changed oil for 2nd service 10000klms - guess what, it just got worse.....Really. In Australia we are paying $60,000.00 for up to 2017 model now 2019 model is approx. $75,000.00. Surely there has to be an engineer at Ford that knows what is happening f................me. I thought I was buying a quality Ford Product.With all the previous posts about this issue - have you all got the problem sorted? Any info would be greatly appreciated or better still a FIX. I have never even redlined the engine thinking I will keep the car till I die so I will look after it.
What oil is your car using?
Also try ceratec.

OP
OP

Mustang666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Styxx
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0 L
What oil is your car using?
Also try ceratec.
1st oil change shop oil? -- 2nd oil change high quality german oil Fucha, recommended for Ford thought it may help 5w - 30 as per manual. Outside temp would very rarely be 5 degrees some posts say trying 10w - 30. Shouldn't really be happening on a fresh motor that has not been flogged.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Just drive it until it lets go, a '17 shouldn't be as noisy as the new ones so something is probably broken. But it until it codes or has a drivability problem there's no real point tearing it down.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Ice445 is right. If you are hearing the famed Coyote BBQ/typewriter tick you can try Ceratec. The tick has been around for a long time and can happen regardless of oil type or number of changes.

Now if you have a rattle there may be an issue with your engine. You can do two things. Leave it alone until something happens or have the engine pulled and taken apart. The former may drive you nuts, the later is going to be expensive.

if you are still under warranty you might to beat on it a bit and see what happens. If it blows you will be covered. All of the options suck but it is what it is.

Sponsored

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Interesting that your manual says 5w30, ours here in America says 5w20 unless tracking it then 5w30. Even my oil cap says 5w20. I doubt this has anything to do with your issue though. I agree with the ceratec though. It will turn your oil a milky color so don't freak when you change it...lol

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
1st oil change shop oil? -- 2nd oil change high quality german oil Fucha, recommended for Ford thought it may help 5w - 30 as per manual. Outside temp would very rarely be 5 degrees some posts say trying 10w - 30. Shouldn't really be happening on a fresh motor that has not been flogged.
What doee your oil cap say?
Interesting my oil cap says 5w-20 it does not even mention 5w-30 in the owners manual.

Just drive it until it breaks it must be the BBQ tick others have reported.

Try ceratec good luck.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
What doee your oil cap say?
Interesting my oil cap says 5w-20 it does not even mention 5w-30 in the owners manual.

Just drive it until it breaks it must be the BBQ tick others have reported.

Try ceratec good luck.
From another thread. Seems like Ford only has one oil cap for our Mustang’s.
Well, Ford Australia confirmed for me that the 5W-30 is the correct oil for the car. So with a screen print of that advice as well as my copy of the servicing and warranty book that comes with the car I paid the service manager a visit. Well he was very receptive and did not try to cover up their incompetence. The guy on the service desk that was one of the ones giving me grief over my apparent insistence on using the "wrong" oil finally listened to me when we were all in the manager's office. He brought up the matter that the cap on the engine oil filler has 5W-20 on it but I advised that is the US specification and the cap wasn't amended for Australian Mustangs

OP
OP

Mustang666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Styxx
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0 L
Interesting that your manual says 5w30, ours here in America says 5w20 unless tracking it then 5w30. Even my oil cap says 5w20. I doubt this has anything to do with your issue though. I agree with the ceratec though. It will turn your oil a milky color so don't freak when you change it...lol
Thanks Chuck, I rang dealer this morning they use 5w-30 Castrol....thanks for the heads up on the look of ceratec.

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Mine doesn’t even have the ticks. I’ll keep bugging the dealer if you’re still under warranty.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Even my oil cap says 5w20.
My 2019 US Bullitt says 5W-30 :D

Bullitt 5-30 oil.JPG

I'm going to use M1 0/30 starting with the first oil change, probably around 1K miles (at 400+ now). And yes, I changed the cap, so don't freak out. Ha ha.

OP
OP

Mustang666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Styxx
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0 L
Mine doesn’t even have the ticks. I’ll keep bugging the dealer if you’re still under warranty.
Don't feel left out.... I certainly will be back to dealers.....The noise is not there all the time, for example, when idling through a car park with light throttle and the car performs well. However when you hear funny rattles it makes you want to be proactive before any failures. Ford have said it is a characteristic of these engines and they are not concerned??

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I have 74,000 miles on my 16 5.0 and have used Castrol Edge or Magnatec w/ Lucas oil stabilizer every 5-6 thou miles. 5w30w all the changes and I have no tick.

OP
OP

Mustang666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Styxx
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0 L
From another thread. Seems like Ford only has one oil cap for our Mustang’s.
My 2019 US Bullitt says 5W-30 :D

Bullitt 5-30 oil.JPG

I'm going to use M1 0/30 starting with the first oil change, probably around 1K miles (at 400+ now). And yes, I changed the cap, so don't freak out. Ha ha.
You cheeky bugger........why would you use 0w - are you in a cold climate? I rang dealers - One uses Castrol 5w-30 one uses Valvoline and one uses Shell - not very consistent.

OP
OP

Mustang666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Styxx
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0 L
I have 74,000 miles on my 16 5.0 and have used Castrol Edge or Magnatec w/ Lucas oil stabilizer every 5-6 thou miles. 5w30w all the changes and I have no tick.
Hi Coyote Red - How are you going with the virus lockdowns - keeping safe?
I really hope I get to those figures - so much fun. When I noticed the rattle / tick is when driving through say a car park when feathering the throttle - as not to kill any pedestrians.. ha. almost like a pinging from bad timing. The car still performs way past my expectations.......I still have 3 year warranty so I should be cool.
Sponsored