2017 Mustang GT - Need Intake Manifold Runner Control replaced

Discussion in 'Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls' started by STangfan44, Apr 15, 2019.

1. STangfan44

STangfan44 Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    car
    0   0   0
    2017 Mustang GT with under 6k miles on it, I'm original owner. Last week the check engine light came on, bad smell on that first drive...running a little rough at lowish RPMs, at times. Took it to dealer and they said codes showed cylinder 8 misfire and other misfire codes, and that the intake manifold runner controls are bad and need to be replaced.

They're going to order a new intake manifold and install that (under warranty), but I have a few questions for everyone... is this problem one that will be indicative of future issues? Could the problem have caused any other damage to the engine? Is there anything else I should be asking them if they see or other problems to ask them to check? Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

2. RIBS

RIBS Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
    0   0   0
    It’s a fairly common failure and a known fix, it won’t cause other problems. Just get it fixed for free and the car should be good!

3. Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    Yes, for whatever reason there’s known issues with the following S550 Coyote items :
    1) cracked intake manifolds
    2) premature failure of the IMRC plates

There are a few threads on this site in the 5.0 sub-forum from members who have had to have those parts replaced under warranty.

I don’t know if the parts failure is due to the plastic construction of the pieces or if there’s another underlying issue such as poor QC from supplier that is causing those parts to fail with in many instances, such low miles.