JHoebing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rousch Mustang Gt
Hello everyone!
I’ve saved up some cash and am looking to vastly improve the boat-like handling of my mustang gt. I know that a big step would be to lowering/stiffening up the suspension, but I enjoy the ride height, plus when I am racing I feel like by stiffening up the suspension id be missing out on the shift of weight to the rear tires when it squats. The car is supercharged (Roush) and running a 79mm pulley with all the supporting mods, ie fuel pumps, lines, 1000cc injectors, etc.
I would like to have a car I can take to the track but not compromise my ability to do digs. My previous car was an E46 M3 and I knew that when shifting from that to the mustang handling would feel like wheels on a block of jello lol. Just want to do some small improvements.
What are all your thought on a wing? I know that they can be douchey but at what amount of horsepower is one acceptable? 680whp on 95 in 85 degrees? Also, I don’t know much about aerodynamics but my buddy/mechanic offered to make a flat panel out of carbon fiber to cover the bottom of the car, much like some of the newer race/hyper cars. When done right I know they make a low pressure zone and improves downforce while reducing the drag coefficient minorly. Worth doing?
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
It would be very helpful if we knew the specifics of the car, it's suspension, wheels and tires.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Get yourself the FRP Track Pack suspension kit. Its BY FAR the best mod I've installed so far. If I could choose only one mod to do it would be this! Turns a base GT into a street handling monster w/o losing your teeth fillings. Firm ride but not terrible by any means.

And yes as prev mentioned rims/tires should also be upgraded. Got myself PP rims/tires new from another member on this site for cheap. It made a slight difference mostly grip when accelerating hard on the street. Nothing compared to the night and day difference suspension made.

Also ride height is barely noticeable from stock. No issues with broken pavement or speed humps.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Hello everyone!
I’ve saved up some cash and am looking to vastly improve the boat-like handling of my mustang gt. I know that a big step would be to lowering/stiffening up the suspension, but I enjoy the ride height, plus when I am racing I feel like by stiffening up the suspension id be missing out on the shift of weight to the rear tires when it squats.
To clear up a couple of misconceptions . . .

Lowering taken by itself really doesn't do much for handling, and in the case of strut suspensions can put you worse off. It's the additional stiffness of most "lowering springs" that provides any observed handling benefit. Lowering for its own sake probably starts becoming important up around 1.5 lateral g's or so (sustained, not just momentary spikes), where you're getting close to unloading both of the inside tires. Street tires aren't going to put you there. Separately, camber gain slows as MacStrut suspensions are lowered, meaning that car behavior will be more progressively understeerish as you approach the car's cornering limits.

Squat does not cause load transfer (aka "weight transfer", which is technically incorrect). It's the other way around, where load transfer caused by acceleration (and the car's inertia that wants it to stay put) causes the rear suspension to "squat". Squat may or may not be a good thing in any given application - you won't get as much forward bite as quickly, but you'll be less likely to shock the tires loose (load them faster than what they can cope with).

Norm

Last edited:

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone!
I’ve saved up some cash and am looking to vastly improve the boat-like handling of my mustang gt. I know that a big step would be to lowering/stiffening up the suspension, but I enjoy the ride height..........My previous car was an E46 M3..........Just want to do some small improvements.
Start with better dampers, all of the PP bracing (if you don't have this), and bearings/bushings for the front control arms. If you want more try swaybars. Of course, it's always best to upgrade springs at the same time as dampers; if you're willing to sacrifice a bit of ride height you can explore minimum drop springs or something to the like.

What are all your thought on a wing? ...at what amount of horsepower is one acceptable? 680whp on 95 in 85 degrees? ...Worth doing?
This is application based. If you're out on a road course often then go for it. Otherwise, just look into a front splitter.

Sponsored

JohnBoyNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Hello everyone!
I’ve saved up some cash and am looking to vastly improve the boat-like handling of my mustang gt. I know that a big step would be to lowering/stiffening up the suspension, but I enjoy the ride height, plus when I am racing I feel like by stiffening up the suspension id be missing out on the shift of weight to the rear tires when it squats. The car is supercharged (Roush) and running a 79mm pulley with all the supporting mods, ie fuel pumps, lines, 1000cc injectors, etc.
I would like to have a car I can take to the track but not compromise my ability to do digs. My previous car was an E46 M3 and I knew that when shifting from that to the mustang handling would feel like wheels on a block of jello lol. Just want to do some small improvements.
What are all your thought on a wing? I know that they can be douchey but at what amount of horsepower is one acceptable? 680whp on 95 in 85 degrees? Also, I don’t know much about aerodynamics but my buddy/mechanic offered to make a flat panel out of carbon fiber to cover the bottom of the car, much like some of the newer race/hyper cars. When done right I know they make a low pressure zone and improves downforce while reducing the drag coefficient minorly. Worth doing?
Word of advice.........when you come into this section, be careful to state what you think you might know.

There are a few folks in here that KNOW what they are talking about and the best way to ask for advice is to come in here and play dumb, Because we all are (dumb, that is) compared to the few in here that know what they are talking about.

State what you have on the car, what you want your outcome after the mods to be, then shut up and listen.

And if you don't agree with me then go have your buddy make you a flat panel out of carbon fiber for the bottom of your car, so you can have a race/hyper car. And it's Roush....not Rousch!

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I fully support going with stock ride height springs (probably PP springs if you are currently on base springs). I started my build that way and have since gone more hardcore on lowering, and to be honest, the previous stock ride height setup was way better for a lot of scenarios. The newer lower stiffer setup is barely any faster unless I’m doing fast transitions like slaloms.

Start with stiffer shocks (Steeda or Koni adjustables, or Ford Racing Track Pack shocks). Shocks control the body motion and can do a lot of good in how the car feels when changing directions.

Add some mild swaybars if you like (GT350R bars are good, or an adjustable 35mm Steeda or BMR front bar with a GT350R rear bar if you want some tunability). Swaybars can make the car a bit flatter in corners without going to stiffer lower springs (again for transitions mostly).

Then focus on getting the best grippiest tires you can find. Tires do all the important work. Lowering, shocks, springs, swaybars... none of that will improve grip much If at all, and some things may loose you grip. Tires = grip.

Then finally pay attention to getting a good alignment. Handling and drag performance are at odds a little bit as far as alignments go, but getting the toe settings right is critical to a car that behaves predictably at the limit.

If you want to really dial things in for drag racing, call up Steeda or BMR and they’ll set you up with the rear suspension parts you need for the quickest 60ft times.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Be careful with changes. With many things in chassis setup and suspension, changing one thing means necessary changes elsewhere to balance it out. There's never a free lunch.

Starting with improving the dampers and getting the rear subframe controlled are probably two of the best things to do without real ride penalties. That and removing the big chunks of rubber deflection that make for inconsistency and vagueness.

It is possible to have a supremely good handling car on track that is also composed and has good manners on the road for long trips or DD use. It requires careful planning and selecting parts that are complimentary.

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
I would say that there are a lot of "common denominator" upgrades you could do, irrespective of dig, track, or street, for instance the PP braces, CB005, LCA & toe bearing, that are relatively harmless, low cost, and will provide a significant overall benefit. Since you mentioned M cars and didn't mention NVH, I would considering swapping to bearings on all major control arms.

If you can, ride on a stang that is more or less hdpe ready. That should give you a good feel for a stiffer setup and be a first step on deciding on spring/dampers. Ride height is less of a concern, there are several options on lowish or mid-range setups with barely any drop (and there are spring spacers).

I'd suggest not messing with aero at all, we are not at that level where any little bit counts...we are not even at a competitive level. Like @BmacIL states, there ain't no free lunch. Don't look for cool stuff that are a huge pain for minimal function, focus on what I call "noob gains", which are easy, inexpensive, and mostly essential upgrades that have huge benefits on all driving scenarios.

OP
OP
JHoebing

JHoebing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rousch Mustang Gt
Get yourself the FRP Track Pack suspension kit. Its BY FAR the best mod I've installed so far. If I could choose only one mod to do it would be this! Turns a base GT into a street handling monster w/o losing your teeth fillings. Firm ride but not terrible by any means.

And yes as prev mentioned rims/tires should also be upgraded. Got myself PP rims/tires new from another member on this site for cheap. It made a slight difference mostly grip when accelerating hard on the street. Nothing compared to the night and day difference suspension made.

Also ride height is barely noticeable from stock. No issues with broken pavement or speed humps.
I have a set of Nitto Envos, 315’s i believe. I have a set of drag star wheels. Suspension is stock.
Sponsored