2017 Mustang GT After Two Months Ownership

bbudman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Buddy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I thought I would come on and post a sort of mini review after two months in my 2017 Mustang GT PP! Let me start by saying I love the car!!! This makes the sixth Mustang that I have owned and by far the best.

When the 6th generation was revealed I admit I did not like the design at first. Somehow in my mind the 5th generation was the better looking design and what I thought a Mustang should be. Well after seeing them on the road for a couple of years I began to change my mind. I now consider the 6th generation Mustang by far the best looking Mustang that Ford has ever produced! The roof line, windshield, and rear glass remind me of a 60's design. The front end is incredible and the body flare in my mind is what a muscle car should be.

Interior wise Ford knocked it out of the part. Finally everything feels as if it surrounds the driver and is well placed within reach. The gauges again remind me of something out of the 60's with a few modern touches hidden within. The quality of materials in my opinion are some of the best to date with a soft feel instead of the hard plastic that Ford turned to for so long. The seats are by far the best that I have owned in any Mustang or for that matter any other sports car that I have owned. Even my previous C6 ZR1 pales in comparison when it comes to seating comfort in the Mustang.

Performance wise I am very pleased with the Mustang. I elected to go with the performance package as I liked the looks of the vehicle and from previous experience I know the benefits of having bigger brakes. I also wanted 3.73 gears even though somewhere down the line I may regret that if I ever consider a power adder. Even so I find the car a pleasure to drive.

Even though it isn't the most powerful vehicle I have even owned it is a blast to drive. The 5.0 feels as if it could pull forever and sounds great revving through the gears. Not to mention for the first time ever I have found a stock shifter that I don't want to rip out of the vehicle. At this point I see no reason to change something that works for me!

Mod wise I have started doing a few things to improve upon what I consider a great platform. Simple things like hood struts, interior LED lighting, and a JL Audio Stealth Box and amplifier were a few of the first. I replaced the steering wheel with a GT350 wheel which in my opinion should be standard equipment in all Mustangs. The feel is so much better over the original. Even my wife made that comment and she really knows nothing about cars. I also did the Ford/Borla Sport Catback with the GT350 valance which to me looks killer and sounds insane! Suspension wise I have added a Steeda 2 point G Trac brace and the IRS subframe support braces as well as jacking rails to make getting under the vehicle easier. I also added 25mm spacers all the way around which improved the overall look of the vehicle. I will say that the braces made a huge difference in the overall handling. Before the car felt as if it was sort of wandering back and forth at highway speed as well as a very faint vibration around 60 mph. After the bracing I no longer have this issue.

Next mods will most likely be subframe alignment kit and bushing supports as well as lower control arm bearings to further tighten up the rear of the car. Then it will be decision time as to the direction I will go next. I have considered going with the Level 2 performance pack but in the back of my mind I would really like to go with the Phase 1 supercharger.

Unlike most my vehicle is a play toy and not my daily driver. It never sees rain and is only driven on pretty days. The rest of the time it is under a car cover in my garage. For this reason along I am giving supercharging serious consideration. Anyway as I said I just wanted to share my thoughts about the car.
Sponsored

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I pretty well feel the same and do the same in regards to it being the toy that never sees rain .... no cover in the garage though.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Suspension wise I have added a Steeda 2 point G Trac brace and the IRS subframe support braces as well as jacking rails to make getting under the vehicle easier. I also added 25mm spacers all the way around which improved the overall look of the vehicle. I will say that the braces made a huge difference in the overall handling. Before the car felt as if it was sort of wandering back and forth at highway speed as well as a very faint vibration around 60 mph. After the bracing I no longer have this issue.
We appreciate the feedback & are glad you have seen a noticeable difference.

Throughout your ownership ... we can add more :)

Best Regards,

TJ

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
Excellent post bbudman, a post like that from a 6 time Mustang owner makes me feel better about my future purchase.:thumbsup:

OP
OP

bbudman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Buddy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Excellent post bbudman, a post like that from a 6 time Mustang owner makes me feel better about my future purchase.:thumbsup:
Honestly, I really don't have a brand loyalty when it comes to vehicles. Yes I have owned six Mustangs but I have also owned three Camaros and two Corvettes over the years. Before purchasing this Mustang I seriously considered getting back in to a Camaro. In fact I found a used low mileage ZL1 and as much as I wanted to like it I just couldn't. The Camaro body style doesn't appeal to me and as I said previously I just feel as if Ford stepped it up a couple on notches when they designed this car.

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Enjoyed your thoughts. Sounds like you like the chassis too.

I am stepping into a 2018 Mustang from a BMW. Ford's engineering has leaped ahead & Ford Performance Racing(FPR), are racing their cars everywhere now. I plan on beating the snot our of mine & being a track monkey. The BMW is too fragile, I am getting on a horse.

:ford:

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Great Review!
I too have driven mine for about 2months.(stored for winter now). I feel the same way couldn't of said it better myself.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
I can't believe how many ppl treat their mustangs like a Ferrari. It's not an antique or an exotic. If you enjoy it, drive it. Such a huge waste to be afraid to drive it in the rain. I have 2 cars and still put 15k on mine in the last year.

OP
OP

bbudman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Buddy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I can't believe how many ppl treat their mustangs like a Ferrari. It's not an antique or an exotic. If you enjoy it, drive it. Such a huge waste to be afraid to drive it in the rain. I have 2 cars and still put 15k on mine in the last year.
Personal choice. My daily driver is a 15 GMC Denali 2500HD diesel. I use my truck for my job where many times I am hauling a 16' cargo trailer but also use it to haul my boat back and forth from the coast. It's a truck and it going to get dirty! Wife has a Cadillac CTS and we use that when we are traveling out of town because it is a comfortable vehicle for long trips. I bought my Mustang to drive on nice days when I feel like getting out of the house and heading out in the country to just ride around. Why get it filthy when you don't have to? If I need to go out for something and the weather is crappy I take the pickup. Most likely it is already dirty! :cheers:
Sponsored