Sponsored

2017 is out, when is Android Auto/Carplay coming to 2016?

ddeveryday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
Now that the 2017 are rolling out and it shares the same infotainment software as the 2016. Are there any official release date or insider information regarding to when it's coming out for the 2016 models?
Sponsored

stang1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium Plus Magnetic GT
there are a million posts about this already.... no solid info yet.

PhillMcKraken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
The only thing officially stated is "later this year" so assume that means December 31st, 2016. That way if/when it comes out sooner, you are now thrilled instead of being disappointed.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Googled about this today and read this on a Ford.com page:
"Note: Apple CarPlay is available on 2017 model year Ford vehicles with compatible SYNC 3. Owners of 2016 model year Ford vehicles with SYNC 3 are required to perform a software upgrade and purchase a hardware upgrade to use Apple CarPlay. Please check back on the Ford Owner site this summer for more information about these upgrades."

Sounds like this summer sometime but it'll require buying some upgrade?
Source: https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync...arplay/sync-3-plus-apple-carplay-support.html

PhillMcKraken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
If you want apple carplay you need a new USB port.

Sponsored

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Apple probably has new usb connection type/update that requires installing a new Apple usb port. Pretty sure I saw that somewhere here in 6g.

I too am waiting impatiently for this sync3 update.

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
I have verified.. it will need the new Car Play approved USB hub.. car pay won't even activate with the lightning cable plugged directly into the rear of the unit..

GT Jeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
Looks like Android Auto is just the software upgrade, no hardware required. Same time frame as Apple Car Play.

fordracerguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FJG M1
I have verified.. it will need the new Car Play approved USB hub.. car pay won't even activate with the lightning cable plugged directly into the rear of the unit..
If you had to guess, what do you think Ford will charge?

Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
This is why I have an android device. It just always seems to be easier to get it to work with external gizmos.

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
If you had to guess, what do you think Ford will charge?
I know this doesn't help much.. and this is very speculative.. so.. take it for what it is.. I have heard three possibilities.. Ive heard free.. I have heard $50 and $100

Now.. my Opinion is it won't go over the $100. If they try and charge labor.. don't do it.. its an easy swap.. would take 5 minutes.. and when it is conformed Ill make a video of what the swap is..

Here is the kicker..

DO NOT do the upgrade until you have the USB hub or you will basically have a useless unit.. it will not work for anything media wise if you plug your phone in IF you have an iPhone.. if you have an Android.. ok.. do the update.. but if you're an Apple guy do not do anything until you have done the hardware update..

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I know this doesn't help much.. and this is very speculative.. so.. take it for what it is.. I have heard three possibilities.. Ive heard free.. I have heard $50 and $100

Now.. my Opinion is it won't go over the $100. If they try and charge labor.. don't do it.. its an easy swap.. would take 5 minutes.. and when it is conformed Ill make a video of what the swap is..

Here is the kicker..

DO NOT do the upgrade until you have the USB hub or you will basically have a useless unit.. it will not work for anything media wise if you plug your phone in IF you have an iPhone.. if you have an Android.. ok.. do the update.. but if you're an Apple guy do not do anything until you have done the hardware update..
It is interesting that you say this, because I have been meaning to run my car to the dealership because I can't get my head unit to see my phone when I plug it into the usb port. Bluetooth works fine, but the only thing my phone will do is charge. (2016 Sync 3 w/o nav)
Do you think they put a new USB unit in mine, and the firmware for the HU does not recognize it?

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
It is interesting that you say this, because I have been meaning to run my car to the dealership because I can't get my head unit to see my phone when I plug it into the usb port. Bluetooth works fine, but the only thing my phone will do is charge. (2016 Sync 3 w/o nav)
Do you think they put a new USB unit in mine, and the firmware for the HU does not recognize it?
I don't think so.. Only 17s were shipped with this.. And it would be backwards compatible.. So even if you had the new hub you would still have functionality..

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Here is the kicker..

man that is whack!!!!! I myself would never try iphone again, so for me this isnt an issue, but what about someone that presently has an Android, does the update, then gets an iphone later? way to go Ford! :tsk:
Sponsored