J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Hey guys/girls,

Figured I'd post a first impressions thread regarding the 2017 GT350R I recently purchased! I'll be making some comparisons to the vehicles that I've had experience with (2011 WRX, 2014 CLA45, and a 2015 Z51 Stingray), so I'll be going over some pros and cons of the car when compared to others, which are my Opinions.

Exterior:

My R is shadow black with white OTT stripes and red accents, which I think lends it a very sinister and Motorsports look. I love how wide the fenders are and just how aggressive the wheels are set up from the factory, definitely no "sunken" look here! The wheels themselves look fantastic, and yes, brake dust is a massive PITA with this car :lol: I am also a huge fan of the rear spoiler, though it does block a significant portion of rear view visibility while on the road.

The paint job seemed to be fairly good on my car, as I have not noticed any of the issues that many on here have spoke of. Panel alignment could definitely be improved, as I noticed along the rear decklid and rear bumper to fender seems to be wider in some places, with the panels not lining up flush with each other. No visible damage that I could see to the stripes either, and now that I have the entire car wrapped in XPEL I can rest easy knowing that the paint and stripes will remain relatively perfect.

When parked next to my fathers Corvette, you realize just how big the R is, with it being almost a full 12" longer, about 5-6" higher, and surprisingly 2" wider. You can easily see where the extra weight is when the two are parked next to one another. I personally think that the R has a more "race car" inspired look to it, whereas the Vette definitely has more general sex appeal in regards to exotic looks with it being much lower and having the appearance of being wider, especially in white w/carbon accents. Overall I prefer the racier look of the R, but without question the Vette garners more attention from the general public, with people from all age groups instantly taking note of it, whereas the R gets more attention from "car people" who recognizes what it is and why it is more rare and special than the Vette.

Interior:

Must say I am pretty pleased with the interior thus far. It is by no means a luxury car, with the Corvette and my Mercedes admittedly having higher quality interiors with nicer materials used. However, the parts that are driver focused I believe they executed very well. The Recaros are surprisingly comfortable, even after a 10 hour road trip home in the car I was not uncomfortable or aching in any way. They are also tremendously supportive and in this regard better than anything else I've sat in, and the suede looks and feels great.

Likewise, the alcantara steering wheel is amazing; very nicely designed, feels comfortable, the size is just right, and the red 12 o'clock stripe reminds you of "race car". I also happen to love the cobra emblem in the centre, think it adds a nice sporty touch. Only gripe being that the alcantara quickly becomes "matted" after use, and I am going to research on how to properly clean it and maintain its appearance/feel.

The Sync 3 system is surprisingly good, with fast response time and very good ease of use. Navigation system works great as was a neat tool to use when I picked up the car. Also really like the suede door inserts, and wish they had of at least put a vinyl leather covering on the dash as opposed to the OK looking but very cheap feeling sponge/foam insert things that have the fake stitching in them. However, I have essentially no interior squeaks or rattles at present and am pleased by this, considering even my Mercedes had some very minor interior rattle issues.

Overall, the interior is not as nice as in the Corvette or my Mercedes was in regards to the materials used, but it is still built very solid and looks very good IMO in regards to the layout and design.

Performance:

Wow. Wow. Wow. Pretty much all I have to say really, what hasn't been said already? :D

That sound, oh my sweet honorable Jesus. I have not heard anything sound so dam good in all my life. I cannot describe it as anything else other than purely addicting. I can't help but constantly feel like I am driving a race car when driving on some back and playing with the middle of the power band. The volume, the rasp, the change in tone under full/partial throttle, is simply amazing. Speaking of WOT, once you put your foot into it, it certainly picks up very quickly, and will easily spin the tires during the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. Definitely doesn't have the low-end/midrange grunt that the Vette has, but I think it has the edge in the top end, and the sound this car makes as it makes its way to almost 8300 rpms in pure insanity and a pure adrenaline rush. The engine is very free-revving and has great response, especially during downshifts which are incredibly satisfying and sound amazing :D

Contrary to what many have said regarding the low-end power of the car, I actually find it to be perfectly fine. You definitely have to wind the car out to get the most power from it, but I don't understand those who say it doesn't have enough power down low. Why would anyone be trying to go WOT low in the RPM range in a higher gear in the first place? For general passing and accelerating even at highway speeds, I find the engine to be more than apt and really have no complaints.

I have only had the car for two weeks as of today, with only a little over 2700 kms on it, but I am already well aware of just how capable this machine is. The suspension is very well sorted, and fairly comfortable in normal mode. Admittedly, it is not as comfortable or as flexible in regards to suspension settings as the Vette is, but it certainly not uncomfortable by any measure IMO, and is also to be expected considering the track focus of the vehicle. Steering is also weighted nicely, and IMO feels very good as a street driven vehicle. Maybe if I were to push the limits of the car on track, I would find some of the flaws that reviewers mention, but as a weekend/evening car that is driven on the street/back roads, I find it to be very accurate and enjoyable. I have not pushed the car whatsoever in regards to hard braking, so I cannot honestly comment on their performance. However, I can say that I am very pleased with how well body motions are controlled under braking and cornering, thanks to the suspension, which lends confidence to the driver considering how stable the vehicle feels. Only negative thus far would be just how sticky those Sport Cup 2's are, they are literally like a vacuum for any and all sand/rocks on the road; without the XPEL wrap, the paint would be sandblasted within a week for sure.

The transmission in the car is superb, very direct, zero notchiness once moving, and very, very easy to row through the gears. Interestingly enough, the shifter actually feels lighter in the Vette than it does in the R, which surprised me considering the Vette has the TR6060 manual transmission, which is essentially a larger, more robust and beefier transmission. However, that car has almost 6000 kms on it, so it may be that my transmission will perhaps loosen up a little bit over time and with more miles. The clutch is very light, almost too light, and I have the Steeda spring at home to install. Am having trouble finding needle nose vice grips however, so I have not been able to install it yet.

I Love how adjustable the rest of the car is. Being able to individually tweak suspension, steering, traction control (mode) settings, as well as the separate exhaust switch is fantastic. I honestly leave the car in normal mode pretty well 100% of the time, with the steering in sport mode that it defaults too. I will certainly play with the settings as I learn the capabilities of the car and become more comfortable with them, but for now I love being able to have the sport steering and loud exhaust while retaining a high level of electronic safety nannies in the background while also having a fairly supple and comfortable riding suspension. To be honest, I even considered switching the car to weather mode even when it is nice out, to give that added level of traction control stability and safety. In this regard I think it is superior to the Vette as the individual settings of the suspension/steering/throttle/traction control cannot be singularly changed, and thus the second most aggressive setting (Sport before Track) must be used to open the exhaust valves.

Overall, I am beyond happy with the car and it has exceeded all of my expectations. I can honestly say that I have never had so much fun in all my life driving a vehicle, and every time I get in it I am thrilled and in somewhat disbelief that the car is mine. Thanks to TR [MENTION=11655]ohtobbad[/MENTION] that I have this car today as I wouldn't have ever gotten it without him, with a huge shout out to MacPhee Ford in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia whom I bought the car from with a $5000 ADM.

I am sure I am overlooking a few details that I will probably add in after, but if anyone has any questions at all, I would be more than happy to answer them. These are simply incredible machines, and I feel truly fortunate to be able to own an R today considering how rare they are and how hard they are to come by.
2017 GT350R - 1.jpg
2017 GT350R - 2.jpg
2017 GT350R - 3.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hermz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
350R
Am having trouble finding needle nose vice grips however, so I have not been able to install it yet.
Congratulations on the purchase. I like the colorway and maybe the first I have seen of it on an R. As far as the spring, no needle nose pliers needed. Just lay down some towels (tons of grease), push the clutch in all the way and yank the sucker out. Really is that simple.

OP
OP
J_Maher_AMG

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Congratulations on the purchase. I like the colorway and maybe the first I have seen of it on an R. As far as the spring, no needle nose pliers needed. Just lay down some towels (tons of grease), push the clutch in all the way and yank the sucker out. Really is that simple.
Thanks! Hmm really? I didn't even try to go pulling on it, was afraid to break the white insert. So the spring doesn't have to be compressed to be removed? Will have to try it next week when I'm home again!

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Great write up and the car looks great! Enjoy it.

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
Where I live Vettes are a dime a dozen, no-one pays any attention to them. One reason I didn't even look at a Vette. Around here people definitely pay attention to a GT350 even when Vettes are around. I get lots of drivers in Vettes, Camaros and other Mustang GTs complimenting the GT350 and giving thumbs up.

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Congratulations, looks wonderful. Agree with scoobs, vettes galore here. If they didnt build so many of them the appeal would stick around, but that isnt so.

OP
OP
J_Maher_AMG

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Where I live Vettes are a dime a dozen, no-one pays any attention to them. One reason I didn't even look at a Vette. Around here people definitely pay attention to a GT350 even when Vettes are around. I get lots of drivers in Vettes, Camaros and other Mustang GTs complimenting the GT350 and giving thumbs up.
Congratulations, looks wonderful. Agree with scoobs, vettes galore here. If they didnt build so many of them the appeal would stick around, but that isnt so.
Ehhh I look at it like it is, the total annual production for Corvettes is within a couple of thousand of annual 911's produced, doesn't make the 911 a "dime a dozen car".

Clearly, I prefer the R to a Vette, primarily because of the engine and rarity, but the vast majority of general public will give more attention to a Vette as opposed to a 350. End of the day, most of the general public don't understand what a GT350 even is, and will see it as another Mustang that has stripes. I love my R, and have gotten a ton of compliments since taking delivery and driving around, but even after several years of production, when I am out with my father, he still gets way more attention in his Vette. It has an exotic, supercar-like shape to it that the 350 or R can't replicate due to the height of it.

And I agree, like I said, car people who know what the car is, will appreciate the 350/R more as they will understand its rarity and how special it is; though in general, the Vette's exterior shape and look is more supercar like and appeals to a greater margin of the general public. Both great cars :)

eric n

HNIC/Head Ninja in Charge
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ericnolan.com
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
16 Shelby RR B&W stripes GT350 G0249
Thumbs way way up on you're outstanding new car. I hope you enjoy it everyday.

OP
OP
J_Maher_AMG

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Thumbs way way up on you're outstanding new car. I hope you enjoy it everyday.
Thanks! And I certainly wish I could, unfortunately I work on a 14/7 rotation away from home, and thus will only have another 2 turnarounds back home before it is time to store her :( :brokenheart:

BUT, I will put as many miles as possible on her during those 2 weeks whenever the weather is good :D :headbang:

ohtobbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Great write up, Funny I got the vet guys looking at mine in
this area. But each to their own.
When you get the chance, the brakes are incredible.
I know many changed the spring for clutch, I got used to mine and now like it.

At 7000km/ 4200 Miles I changed the fronts, but did have 2 track days on them.
New set came yesterday, I suspect rears will need to be changed
after next track day :)

Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like it has great potential to be a future barn find!

OP
OP
J_Maher_AMG

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Great write up, Funny I got the vet guys looking at mine in
this area. But each to their own.
When you get the chance, the brakes are incredible.
I know many changed the spring for clutch, I got used to mine and now like it.

At 7000km/ 4200 Miles I changed the fronts, but did have 2 track days on them.
New set came yesterday, I suspect rears will need to be changed
after next track day :)
Thanks TR, the car is simply incredible, it blows my mind every time I drive it :)

I believe part of the Vette thing could be that his car is white with a visible carbon fibre roof, black wheels and red brakes and red leather interior; certainly creates a very, very noticeable and striking image that stands out in traffic for sure. I think the black on my R tones things down a little and helps it "blend" in per se as opposed to a brighter color like white red or yellow that are more flashy. Ultimately I believe the Vette is better at being a grand tourer or a "jack of all trades" whereas the R is much, much more focused on being a track car and sacrifices in some ways to excel in that area. Ultimately, the R is exactly what I want in a car and I couldn't be any happier with it!

I'm hoping to get 7000-10000 kms on my tires before having to change them; not interested in burnouts or donuts and no tracks locally, so it should help make the tires last. Though I am taking it to the local drag strip next weekend when I am back to see what it can do, even though I know its not a real drag car :)

OP
OP
J_Maher_AMG

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Looks like it has great potential to be a future barn find!
I see why you could say that, though I won't be working on rotation forever :D

Have no intentions of ever selling the car either, so once I am finished with working on rotation jobs (7-10 years time maybe) I will probably be putting extra mileage on it. I only plan to do about 3000kms per year as of right now, though I am hoping to get more use out of it in the future once I am working a regular Monday-Friday job back home :)

Blue Raptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZL1 1LE, GT350, Ford RS, F350 Dually, Explorer
I love black, one of my favorite colors, but not a fan of white stripes, looks like a skunk.