Sponsored

2017 GT350R excessive oil consumption (UPDATE: engine replaced)

treefiddysnek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
*New Engine Update - September 25, 2019*
My engine was successfully replaced under warranty with a 2019 GT350R engine. I've driven around 1000 miles so far on the new engine, and it hasn't burned through any noticeable amount of oil. I'll try to update this thread again at 5000 miles. I was never informed as to why my previous engine was burning through excessive amounts of oil, but if I'm ever given any information about it then I'll append it to this thread.

I'll do my best to keep this thread straight to the point. I bought my 2017 GT350R brand new off of the showroom floor. Ever since ownership of this beast, I was losing about 1 quart of oil every 500-1000 miles, and would have to periodically add oil to the engine to keep the oil at the proper level, which according to the manual, this level of oil consumption was within specification and should improve over time. I had my first oil change at 1700 miles at a Ford dealership, and planned to have the oil changed again at 6700 miles. At 5700 miles, after topping off the oil level, I took a road trip with the car over a weekend with an oil change scheduled at a Ford dealership on my return.
By the time I had returned, my car now had 6700 miles on it, bringing the road trip to a total of 1000 miles. The following day, I took my car to the Ford dealership for my oil change and assumed it would be 1 quart low or something. Much to my surprise, I was informed that my car was 5 quarts low - half of the car's recommended engine oil volume. I shit my pants on the spot, and immediately scheduled an appointment with the service center. The service center had me conduct an oil consumption test, and they found that my engine was consuming 1 quart of oil every 200 miles. There was no sign of oil leakage anywhere. They contacted the Ford "hotline", and after the "hotline" had the technicians confirm that the oil consumption wasn't the result of "owner error", they decided to completely replace the engine under warranty. My GT350R is currently sitting at a Ford dealership waiting for an engine.

I'll refrain from voicing my concerns about the overall long-term reliability of these cars, and Ford's quality control, but I want to make the mustang community aware of my current situation with my particular car, as I know other GT350 owners have had similar issues. My car has seen zero track use, had the engine "broken in" according to the recommendations in the manual, and has been driven and watched over with care - except for all the splitter scrapes caused by those damned slight inclines. I really hope I get her back running better than ever, and that she'll actually last unlike the other girls I've had in my life, but I am definitely concerned after reading about some of the horror stories people have had and seeing the recalls that have had to be done. I'll try to keep this thread updated with the car's progress for those that are interested. Thanks for reading.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Were your exhaust tips coated with excessive sooting?

Bulldogs22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I'll do my best to keep this thread straight to the point. I bought my 2017 GT350R brand new off of the showroom floor. Ever since ownership of this beast, I was losing about 1 quart of oil every 500-1000 miles, and would have to periodically add oil to the engine to keep the oil at the proper level, which according to the manual, this level of oil consumption was within specification and should improve over time. I had my first oil change at 1700 miles at a Ford dealership, and planned to have the oil changed again at 6700 miles. At 5700 miles, after topping off the oil level, I took a road trip with the car over a weekend with an oil change scheduled at a Ford dealership on my return.
By the time I had returned, my car now had 6700 miles on it, bringing the road trip to a total of 1000 miles. The following day, I took my car to the Ford dealership for my oil change and assumed it would be 1 quart low or something. Much to my surprise, I was informed that my car was 5 quarts low - half of the car's recommended engine oil volume. I shit my pants on the spot, and immediately scheduled an appointment with the service center. The service center had me conduct an oil consumption test, and they found that my engine was consuming 1 quart of oil every 200 miles. There was no sign of oil leakage anywhere. They contacted the Ford "hotline", and after the "hotline" had the technicians confirm that the oil consumption wasn't the result of "owner error", they decided to completely replace the engine under warranty. My GT350R is currently sitting at a Ford dealership waiting for an engine.

I'll refrain from voicing my concerns about the overall long-term reliability of these cars, and Ford's quality control, but I want to make the mustang community aware of my current situation with my particular car, as I know other GT350 owners have had similar issues. My car has seen zero track use, had the engine "broken in" according to the recommendations in the manual, and has been driven and watched over with care - except for all the splitter scrapes caused by those damned slight inclines. I really hope I get her back running better than ever, and that she'll actually last unlike the other girls I've had in my life, but I am definitely concerned after reading about some of the horror stories people have had and seeing the recalls that have had to be done. I'll try to keep this thread updated with the car's progress for those that are interested. Thanks for reading.
Pre 2018 350 engines had a lot more problems than 18+. It's unfortunate for you but a lot of people have also had 0 issues with their engines so we don't need another Ford is making cars that are ticking time bombs thread. You may come out with an upgraded 19+ engine with the upgrades from the 500 development so it may not all be bad.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Look at it this way.....I did.....you get a 2019R motor, with all the upgrades. Mine (2018) was at 1 quart per 125 miles when it was replaced at 5K miles. The new motor has over 10K on it and uses about 1 quart per 3000 miles. The new motor will NOT be numbers matching, if that's a thing with you.....good luck. Ford does not and will not stamp the new motor with the older motor number.

Sponsored

onlyturbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6spd, 2016 Audi S4 (Sold)., 2009 Subaru STI (Sold), 2003 SAAB Aero (Sold)
Not that this will make you guys feel better, but 2 of our 5 Subaru's we have/had had there engines replaced for oil consumption under warranty. One is still burning oil with the new replacement engine, not as bad though. The others don't burn a drop.

And BTW I heard same issues with Audi's, VW, and Honda's. Probably more brands.

Not sure what's going on here, but from researching I believe it has to do with the combination of bad rings, and driving car too gently during new engine break-in, yes too gentle like the manual calls for! It appears, from what I read, engine break-in needs to be aggressive, red line runs and often change in rpm.

I am no expert at all, but after having two engines replaced for this issue I have been doing a lot of reading on this topic.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Subaru's and bad rings can go together quite well....

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Sources for this information please.
Yes, the source please.

It’s funny because to me it seems the 2016’s have the least engine oil consumption issues :)

Bulldogs22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Yes, the source please.

It’s funny because to me it seems the 2016’s have the least engine oil consumption issues :)
I don't have sources off the top of my head ready to paste but there are numerous and I mean numerous threads on here talking about oil consumption and the upgrades Ford has done to the Voodoo over the years. It's really hit or miss if it affects you but all I can say is I have had 0 issues out of my new 19.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
I don't have sources off the top of my head ready to paste but there are numerous and I mean numerous threads on here talking about oil consumption and the upgrades Ford has done to the Voodoo over the years. It's really hit or miss if it affects you but all I can say is I have had 0 issues out of my new 19.
How many miles on your '19?

Sponsored

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
^^^ I here ya. So far so good with my 2016 with 0 oil consumption. 15k miles, 30+ track days and many autox’s.

I wish we didn’t see so many issues being reported and I keep my fingers crossed as there doesn’t seem to be a mileage if you cross it means all is good.

Bulldogs22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
How many miles on your '19?
1000 currently and I'm about to do my first oil change with Amsoil. It has ran perfectly up until now and I have no complaints haven't even noticed panel gap issues or vibrations. I was chassis 240.

Bulldogs22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
^^^ I here ya. So far so good with my 2016 with 0 oil consumption. 15k miles, 30+ track days and many autox’s.

I wish we didn’t see so many issues being reported and I keep my fingers crossed as there doesn’t seem to be a mileage if you cross it means all is good.

You should be in the clear that is a lot of miles and track time with no issues. And yes there are issues reported but there also are tons of owners who haven't had issues. It's unfortunate but people need to realize you are getting a hand built engine that is and will be the only ever of its kind with the FPC front engine layout. I just hate to see posts about oil consumption bc soo many people on here will start a Ford bashing and it takes away from people who may be on the fence about the car with blanket statements.

onlyturbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6spd, 2016 Audi S4 (Sold)., 2009 Subaru STI (Sold), 2003 SAAB Aero (Sold)
No
Subaru's and bad rings can go together quite well....
No, different issue, you must be referring to the ring lands that crack under detonation, I am referring to the actual oil rings and not the piston itself.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yes there are numerous threads about oil consumption, but I'm not aware of any threads with factual information about any upgrades Ford has done to change/reduce/prevent the oil consumption of the Voodoo engine.

I don't think there's ever been a defect in design of the Voodoo engine that results in oil consumption. My Voodoo never burned oil in ~33,000 miles I owned it. Yes, it's only one data point, but if there was a design flaw they would all burn oil. I think the oil consumption is a less common problem that a few engines have due to this or that manufacturing defect, not a design flaw that all Voodoo engines have.
Sponsored