Sponsored

2017 GT sound tube delete / gets rid of cat smell?

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
So I just found out about the sound tube which seems pretty pointless but saw someone mention also pipes in fumes, is that the reason I get the cat smell in my car when flogging on it with windows closed?

I know deleting it won't net any performance and I have a borla S type so I don't need any more sound but that burning cat smell is pretty darn annoying. when I first got my car with 30k km it never did it and now it does, I wonder if the previous owner never really floored the car or something
Sponsored

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
Nope. That smell comes even if you delete it.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Even without the sound tube it still gets in. If your running e85 it isn't as bad. The smell makes me hungry for popcorn!

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
The sound tube lets the engine sound into the cabin through the firewall. The gt350s have engine sound in the speakers as well. Not sure about other models.

Sponsored

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
I have no idea what you're smelling, but the sound tube has diaphragms that do not let fumes through.

People get rid of them because they're ugly and pointless, especially once you have exhaust upgrades.

OP
OP
Nate_V8

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
I have no idea what you're smelling, but the sound tube has diaphragms that do not let fumes through.

People get rid of them because they're ugly and pointless, especially once you have exhaust upgrades.
A lot of GTs have a hot cat smell when flooring it for longer than 3-4s. Apparently it isn't affected by fuel, I can somewhat attest to that since I was running 87 in the winter and am now using 94 ( I won't be using 87 ever again for other reasons btw lol)

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
A lot of GTs have a hot cat smell when flooring it for longer than 3-4s. Apparently it isn't affected by fuel, I can somewhat attest to that since I was running 87 in the winter and am now using 94 ( I won't be using 87 ever again for other reasons btw lol)
E85 is completely different though with the alcohol content. You can run cattless long tubes on e85 and it still smells fine where regular pump gas has that smell.

OP
OP
Nate_V8

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
E85 is completely different though with the alcohol content. You can run cattless long tubes on e85 and it still smells fine where regular pump gas has that smell.
Yea i know what e85 is but wait, are you saying they make that smell without cats also on pump gas?

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
Damn... yeah I've noticed the smell when hitting WOT but thought it was the engine/exhaust breaking in. I only have 2k miles at this time.

zero_chance

Dismember
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium w/ Performance Pack
So I just found out about the sound tube which seems pretty pointless but saw someone mention also pipes in fumes, is that the reason I get the cat smell in my car when flogging on it with windows closed?

I know deleting it won't net any performance and I have a borla S type so I don't need any more sound but that burning cat smell is pretty darn annoying. when I first got my car with 30k km it never did it and now it does, I wonder if the previous owner never really floored the car or something
Nope. That’s because you’re trying to melt your cats. Called cat over temp and that’s Fords way of trying to save you and them money on needless cat replacement.
Sponsored