PhoeniX7115

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hey,

This is my first post here. Just picked up a bone stock 2017 mustang GT, 6 speed.

I ordered a roush cat back exhaust for the car and brought it to my mechanic for installation. He told me that the xpipe is too short in order to reach the front end (engine side) of the car and that the connection at that spot, does not fit correctly. Apparently the xpipe is too big of a diameter.

The xpipe measures 33" long and I believe 2.5" diameter. 5-9-AA is the marking on the xpipe.

I brought my concerns to roush and they sent me a new xpipe but its the exact same one. Can someone please point me in the right direction of this problem?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

Jordan @ Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Stingray M7
It seems like there is some genuine confusion as to the actual part/part number or your shop may even have it mounted in an unusual way. Is there any way you can post pictures?

OP
OP

PhoeniX7115

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
It seems like there is some genuine confusion as to the actual part/part number or your shop may even have it mounted in an unusual way. Is there any way you can post pictures?
When I originally received the cat back and it didn't fit, I emailed them. Gave them the part number of the xpipe, pictures and measurements. They asked for my vin and said they would mail another, which they did. They sent the same exact x pipe with the same numbers on it (even though I told them the numbers on my current pipe)

I must have spoke to 3 different departments and I just wanted to know what the proper dimensions should be. The best answer i recieved was the dimensions of the box lol

This car is bone stock and i have full faith in my mechanic. Im guessing they sent 2 wrong xpipes?

Can anyone tell me what the length of the xpipe should be? The one they sent is 33" and its short. I can attach pictures but im not sure how much it will help.

Thanks

20201117_121959.jpg

20201117_121833.jpg

20201117_121826.jpg

20201117_122005.jpg

20201117_121715.jpg

20201117_121736.jpg

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
I don't understand this at all. The pipes are all the same length. It's the mechanics job to measure and cut your mid pipe to the desired length so that the xpipe fits.

Jordan @ Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Stingray M7
Now we need to see if someone can post a picture of their Roush cat-back (with stock exhaust manifolds/mid-pipe) installed for closer examination. Anyone want to throw their car up on a lift?

Sponsored

OP
OP

PhoeniX7115

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I don't understand this at all. The pipes are all the same length. It's the mechanics job to measure and cut your mid pipe to the desired length so that the xpipe fits.
Wait what?

The cat back bolts directly on, no cutting or welding required. Even if it had to be cut, its too short, as it is lol

The pipes should all be the same length, I was tried to google and talked to many depts at roush. No one knows how long the xpipe is

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
Wait what?

The cat back bolts directly on, no cutting or welding required. Even if it had to be cut, its too short, as it is lol

The pipes should all be the same length, I was tried to google and talked to many depts at roush. No one knows how long the xpipe is
You have to send pictures because I highly doubt they keep sending you the wrong size x-pipe. It only comes in one size as far as I've always known. Mine was 2.5" as well but would have to measure the length.

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Here is a picture of the complete Roush cat back. Per Roush's website, part number for the complete system is 422092. Is this what you received? Maybe possible that the x-pipe is correct, but for some reason the mid pipes are to short, wrong mid pipes?

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 10.40.54 AM.png

OP
OP

PhoeniX7115

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I think I figured it out. The mechanic guy didn't remove the old clamps from the stock exhaust. The ones that are a few inches long that connect the xpipe to the engine side of the car. Im gonna have him do it tomorrow and be there when he does it. Its definitely the same part number you sent me and looks like identical parts.

Sounds about right, though?

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
I highly suspect that the mechanic is messing something up. It's the easiest system to install. Don't let him do anything else and definitely go there tomorrow.

Sponsored
OP
OP

PhoeniX7115

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
This guy was trying to put it on backwards.... I was like :curse::curse:. Oh yeah, I stayed and helped with the install. Car sounds great now !

slick_rick_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
18’ GT350
This guy was trying to put it on backwards.... I was like :curse::curse:. Oh yeah, I stayed and helped with the install. Car sounds great now !
Full faith in your mechanic huh......:cwl: I'm teasing, glad you got it figured out. I've had a roush cat back for a while now, sound doesn't ever get old.
Sponsored