Sponsored

2017 GT PP bang for buck slight lowering recommendations?

BillyZoom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Hey, everyone.

I've got a 2017 GT PP with 2800 miles on it. It came with a few mods that you all helped me identify, and I'm ready to drop the suspension a tad. I believe it's currently stock PP suspension. I just replaced the tires with the same size Michelin Pilot Sports. Eventually I think I'll be buying new wheels and tires (mostly for lighter weight as well as a wider rear, but for now the stock PP wheels will have to do. I'd like whatever changes I make to be workable when I get wider wheels (thinking 10" and 11" wheels, probably 305s in the rear, and sticking with 19s.)

So here's my dilemma...I used to have a BMW 550i, which kicked all kind of ass. I did some mods on that one, including some mild suspension work (Dinan springs, installed by them), and really hated the suspension ride quality afterward and wished I'd never touched it. So I'm a little leery of going down the rabbit hole. But I want it a bit lower, and would like to improve the handling capability so as my driving skills increase I'm not the limiting factor.

Priorities are that I want to reduce the wheel gap some, but want a only a mild drop. Streetability is most important..I don't mind if it's a little more firm, but I don't want it to be punishing. I may do some spirited backroad driving, but that's likely the most aggressive I'll go. It's my daily driver. Perhaps I'll try a track day here and there for fun, but that would be down the road.

I've done some searches here, but don't know enough about the factors to know what's most important or what items I should also consider that might fix flaws I'm only starting to learn the car has, like wheel hop.

My budget max is roughly $1500, including installation. I COULD go a little higher if needed...if say, 2K or 2,200 would get me something MUCH better, then I could probably swing it.

Would any of you be willing to share what you think would be the best functional suspension improvements overall for that budget, along with any rationale as to why.

Lastly, can any of you recommend a shop in California (preferable Northern Cal)?

I really appreciate all your suggestions and patience...I'm rather ignorant about car suspension...more a motorcycle guy. Much appreciated.
Sponsored

OP
OP

BillyZoom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Here is a good example of the lowest stance I'd want...I do really like this look.
great stance.jpg
19s nice stance.jpg

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Steeda minimum drop springs with ProAction or FRPP Track Dampers and youā€™re good to go. Youā€™ll never complain about the ride and youā€™ll get some performance gain.

The drop looks to be a bit less than what you pictured, but if you go to a 275 or 285/35 front and 305/35 rear tire in the future youā€™ll be right as rain.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
GT350R springs and FRPP track dampers, BMR CB005. Enjoy :)

Will lower it about 0.6-0.7" in the front, 0.3" back. Ride is great but handling much improved too.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
@BillyZoom

I caution you of jumping into the group-think of this forum and buying into GT350R or the BMR Handling spring + FRPP Track Damper "blissness". I'm sure this is a fantastic combination for a track car, especially when these high rate springs are paired with magnaride dampers like in most factory 350 and 350Rs, but if you're looking for a street focused car and a good ride, I would look elsewhere. Here are some data points:

Stock PP Springs: 165 front /728 rear (similar to E92 M3 rates)
Steeda Minimum Drop Springs: 200 front / 750 rear
Ford GT350R Springs: 240 front / 914 rear
BMW Handling Springs: 250 front / 980 rear

For reference, it looks like the photos you provided are probably the Ford Track or Street progressive springs. These are also good alternatives to the Steeda Minimum Drops that will still give you the good ride quality you're looking for, more performance, and get you a lower look. Steeda progressives are another option, which will actually soften your ride from the stock PP setup, but stiffen up to dynamic rates when you push the car.

Coming from a BMW myself, I think the Steeda Ultralites are the stiffest spring anyone should use for a primarily street focused car. This is what I use and drive on curvy-road endurance treks for hobby; they are 225 front / 880 rear and comfy enough for a family of four.

If you do lower the car, a relatively easy way to get that BMW steering response you're probably longing for is to install the Steeda roll-center correction control arms. I put these on with stiffer bushings (NOT bearings) and the car's turn-in and response is millimeter accurate (just like my old 335i with hydrolic steering). I ran MPSS then and I run MPS4S tires now. Throw on the IRS braces to tie the rear end into the car and the $80 2-point k-member brace and you're in business.

- Mike

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
@BillyZoom

I caution you of jumping into the group-think of this forum and buying into GT350R or the BMR Handling spring + FRPP Track Damper "blissness". I'm sure this is a fantastic combination for a track car, especially when these high rate springs are paired with magnaride dampers like in most factory 350 and 350Rs, but if you're looking for a street focused car and a good ride, I would look elsewhere. Here are some data points:

Stock PP Springs: 165 front /728 rear (similar to E92 M3 rates)
Steeda Minimum Drop Springs: 200 front / 750 rear
Ford GT350R Springs: 240 front / 914 rear
BMW Handling Springs: 250 front / 980 rear

For reference, it looks like the photos you provided are probably the Ford Track or Street progressive springs. These are also good alternatives to the Steeda Minimum Drops that will still give you the good ride quality you're looking for, more performance, and get you a lower look. Steeda progressives are another option, which will actually soften your ride from the stock PP setup, but stiffen up to dynamic rates when you push the car.

Coming from a BMW myself, I think the Steeda Ultralites are the stiffest spring anyone should use for a primarily street focused car. This is what I use and drive on curvy-road endurance treks for hobby; they are 225 front / 880 rear and comfy enough for a family of four.

If you do lower the car, a relatively easy way to get that BMW steering response you're probably longing for is to install the Steeda roll-center correction control arms. I put these on with stiffer bushings (NOT bearings) and the car's turn-in and response is millimeter accurate (just like my old 335i with hydrolic steering). I ran MPSS then and I run MPS4S tires now. Throw on the IRS braces to tie the rear end into the car and the $80 2-point k-member brace and you're in business.

- Mike
Actually it's pretty far from being a track setup. Fake news. Please stop detracting from something you've never tried.

Real track cars that are competing in IMSA, NASA and legit/competitive series, either WtW or TT are running twice the spring rates of the GT350R/BMR Handling springs.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Please stop detracting from something you've never tried.
Oh, the hypocrisy.

Real track cars that are competing in IMSA, NASA and legit/competitive series, either WtW or TT are running twice the spring rates of the GT350R/BMR Handling springs.
Yes, yes, the ever-ready argument. We can debate semantics all day, be it "track" setup versus a "competitive race" setup and so on, but I'll keep my stance that GT350R springs without magnaride is too stiff for the general daily driver. Even with magnaride, it might be too much as well.

-----
I think its only fair that when a forum member asks for a slight drop and only a little stiffer suspension that something so much stiffer isn't the recommendation. They may hate their car for this.

OP
OP

BillyZoom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Steeda minimum drop springs with ProAction or FRPP Track Dampers and youā€™re good to go. Youā€™ll never complain about the ride and youā€™ll get some performance gain.

The drop looks to be a bit less than what you pictured, but if you go to a 275 or 285/35 front and 305/35 rear tire in the future youā€™ll be right as rain.
That's exactly the tire size I'm thinking when I get wider wheels and tires.

Is this the kit you're talking about that would pair with the Steeda minimum drop springs?

https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-pe...kit-fastback-ecoboost-gt-2015-2019/p/M18000F/

Thanks so much.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP, 2016 Corvette C7 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
Another one for Steeda + FRPP Dampers, although I went with the Ultralite Linear Springs. Ride quality is just a tad bit more harsh than the OEM PP springs, but nothing brutal by any means. The drop is enough to give quite a difference in the looks department, and the handling is also great improved (although I added those two components along with a bunch of other suspension parts, so hard to say what contributed to exactly what improved feeling).

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, the hypocrisy.

Yes, yes, the ever-ready argument. We can debate semantics all day, be it "track" setup versus a "competitive race" setup and so on, but I'll keep my stance that GT350R springs without magnaride is too stiff for the general daily driver. Even with magnaride, it might be too much as well.

-----
I think its only fair that when a forum member asks for a slight drop and only a little stiffer suspension that something so much stiffer isn't the recommendation. They may hate their car for this.
What would be unfair would be suggesting something that wouldn't give the OP what he's looking for. I've done no such thing. I've ridden/driven in a car with your setup. Yes, it's nice. What you don't realize is that you can have a better ride than that even with stiffer springs. Where things sit in the damping curves, nominal high or low speed damping ratio, and front to rear ride frequency balance has a lot more to do with the ride composure of the sprung mass than just how stiff it is.

To my knowledge, you can't say that you've been in a car with my/similar to my setup. It's not a punishing track car. It's really not. It rides barely harsher than my wife's family sedan.

I'd agree with your recommendation for someone who just wants a minimum lowering street car with little intent on performance driving.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
More support
Screenshot_2019-04-27-20-34-11.png

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
Been lurking for like 2 years without logging in, about time. I'm probably the first to do the BMR/GT350R/FRPP setup, at least on this forum. A few observations:

1) I would listen to BmacIL, we have consulted back and forth for months to come up with the setup. Mistakes were made and lessons were learned the hard way. The setup is very street viable but very responsive. It might not be for everyone but there has been more than a few guys doing the setup and the feedback has been good so far.
2) I had suspected this and tracking the car confirms it...I think the car can go even stiffer without much penalty to ride. This is quite subjective, of course
3) Mods other than spring/damper make a huge difference in ride, such as the shock mounts and PP firewall brace (for a base car). For response alone, nothing beats the LCA bearing and CB005. If I was to start over again, I would do the above 4 first, then evaluate the car with your desired wheels/tires with stock spring dampers.

udcvsean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Iā€™d listen to BmacIL as well. I had the FRPP track dampers and BMR SP763 as well as the CB005 on my 2017 Mustang GT base. The ride was more comfortable than stock and significantly more responsive.

Just got my 2019 PP1 replacement (the ā€˜17 was a lemon unfortunately) and Iā€™m gonna do the FRPP track dampers and BMR SP083 (same drop in front as the SP763) this time, as well as the CB005, SM760, and knuckle to toe bearing. Gonna be mostly a street car and the PP1 suspension is not bad tbh, but these mods unlock the true handling potential of the S550.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
More support
Screenshot_2019-04-27-20-34-11.png
Driven a "few miles" and the ride is "fantastic." Invalid. I won't elaborate on his profile photo.

Been lurking for like 2 years without logging in, about time. I'm probably the first to do the BMR/GT350R/FRPP setup, at least on this forum. A few observations:

1) I would listen to BmacIL, we have consulted back and forth for months to come up with the setup.
Let's be clear, Ford did the research. The dampers are OEM GT350 pieces and of course will pair well enough, considering the available options on the market, with the stiffer R springs. Bottom line: the FRPP track dampers are exceptionally engineered mono-tube units that have been extensively tested...by Ford. Months to figure this out? I lament this if it's true.

3) Mods other than spring/damper make a huge difference in ride, such as the shock mounts and PP firewall brace (for a base car). For response alone, nothing beats the LCA bearing and CB005. If I was to start over again, I would do the above 4 first, then evaluate the car with your desired wheels/tires with stock spring dampers.
Lots of good things said here, though I cringe when I see LCA bearings being recommended. Sure, it's an awesome piece and gives feel and response. But it is right for the general street driver? I think not.

Iā€™d listen to BmacIL as well. I had the FRPP track dampers and BMR SP763 as well as the CB005 on my 2017 Mustang GT base. The ride was more comfortable than stock and significantly more responsive.
It should be, that's a great street combination.

Just got my 2019 PP1 replacement (the ā€˜17 was a lemon unfortunately) and Iā€™m gonna do the FRPP track dampers and BMR SP083 (same drop in front as the SP763) this time, as well as the CB005, SM760, and knuckle to toe bearing. Gonna be mostly a street car and the PP1 suspension is not bad tbh, but these mods unlock the true handling potential of the S550.
So I have this clear, you're backing-up the FRPP Track dampers with SP083 springs because these dampers paired well with your 170lb/in front and 740lb/in rear springs in the past? Interesting logic. So long as handling is your priority, and you're prepared for the trade-offs, then I'm sure you'll be happy.

----------------------------

To be clear, I am not downplaying the effectiveness of the aforementioned springs paired with the FRPP dampers or the like. These are great for the right person and the right situation. I am on the soapbox to stand-up for the street drivers that are not interested in a stiffer ride or track setup, yet are being constantly advised to go beyond what they are likely seeking. Be it stiff springs, bearings instead of bushings, and so on, not everyone who posts in this forum has the desire to be more "racecar." There are certainly many other options that can provide better handling and a more refined ride without conceding to 350R or above rates.
Sponsored