2017 GT Oil Leak Above Oil Filter

Niteghost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 GT
I noticed I had a small oil leak hitting the ground just inside the front driver tire. First thought was valve cover, checked all the bolts their good. So I got under it and stared looking. I noticed oil on the filter but it’s donkey Kong tight. Then I noticed oil above the housing that the oil filter screws on to. I did some quick searching but not finding any info. Can someone give me a little guidance here?
665C58AC-C3A0-4DD5-B0E9-40007469B9C5.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Niteghost

Niteghost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 GT
OP
OP
Niteghost

Niteghost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 GT
Yeah, could be that or not. Spray the area down with brake clean, check the oil level and drive for a few miles see if it pops up again.
I 98% sure it’s between the filter housing and block. I cleaned it up good so I can see what it dose.

Sponsored

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Check the oil pressure sensor just above the filter. I’ve seen several on here with the same leak and the sensor had backed out slightly. Easy fix to snug it up again.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Check the oil pressure sensor just above the filter. I’ve seen several on here with the same leak and the sensor had backed out slightly. Easy fix to snug it up again.
This, relatively common issue.

OP
OP
Niteghost

Niteghost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 GT
This, relatively common issue.
I will be checking this out tonight. I’ll let you guys know what I find. Really appreciate the help guys. I hope it’s going to be this easy.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It's going to be either the oil psi sensor that is leaking or the valve cover - both very common oil seepage points.

OP
OP
Niteghost

Niteghost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 GT
It's going to be either the oil psi sensor that is leaking or the valve cover - both very common oil seepage points.
It’s definitely not the value cover, no sign of oil on the manifold or coming from that area. I check the bolts and they were tight except for one that was about a quarter turn loose. There is definitely oil on the oil pressure sensor threads, I’m 💯 that’s what it is. Just trying to figure out the exact righ socket I need and I’m going to pull it out and fix it. I noticed what looks like teflon tape on the we threads, is that how it comes from the factory? This car had 15000 miles when I bought it and I was wondering if someone has tried to fix it befor.

1880D27E-E445-493A-B98C-85E05E6BC97C.jpeg

Sponsored

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
It’s definitely not the value cover, no sign of oil on the manifold or coming from that area. I check the bolts and they were tight except for one that was about a quarter turn loose. There is definitely oil on the oil pressure sensor threads, I’m 💯 that’s what it is. Just trying to figure out the exact righ socket I need and I’m going to pull it out and fix it. I noticed what looks like teflon tape on the we threads, is that how it comes from the factory? This car had 15000 miles when I bought it and I was wondering if someone has tried to fix it befor.

1880D27E-E445-493A-B98C-85E05E6BC97C.jpeg
That is how it comes from the factory. You’ll probably see a witness marking on it too to show when it is fully snug.The good news is, based on how the sensor is positioned, it’s unlikely to back out much further. It just leaves that annoyingly small leak. Once you snug it up you should be good to go.

OP
OP
Niteghost

Niteghost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 GT
That is how it comes from the factory. You’ll probably see a witness marking on it too to show when it is fully snug.The good news is, based on how the sensor is positioned, it’s unlikely to back out much further. It just leaves that annoyingly small leak. Once you snug it up you should be good to go.
I’m gonna pull it out and put thread sealant on it and reinstall, hopefully that fixes it for good. You don’t by chance know what size socket it takes do you? I’ve done some shallow googling but haven’t found anything solid yet.

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
I’m gonna pull it out and put thread sealant on it and reinstall, hopefully that fixes it for good. You don’t by chance know what size socket it takes do you? I’ve done some shallow googling but haven’t found anything solid yet.
Unfortunately I do not recall the size. I hope this fixes it up for you though!

OP
OP
Niteghost

Niteghost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 GT

Cobra Jet

Threads