2017 GT - Musty Smell in Cabin caused by Hood Insulation Design

Cueball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Optima EX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I have no idea. Mine was removed when I got home from the dealer after purchase 5 years ago. :-)
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I havnt driven it since july. Went to wash it and clean engine bay and noticed all the mold. Pretty pissed off
Was it washed or in heavy rain before it was parked in July?

The hood liner gets lots of water trapped in it because of the water getting in the hood vents. When I wash my GT I always raise the hood and water drips out the back corners for 30+ minutes. Then it gets driven for at least 30 minutes to bake the hood liner completely dry.

Your liner must have been somewhat wet when it was parked in July.

slater550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang
Regarding the 2018 hood liner issue:

I would definitely show the Service Center - it should not be molding up like that at all.

Where the car is stored, is it a climate controlled garage or just a regular garage?

Sometimes even if in a regular garage if there are exterior weather changes say from hot to cold, or a lot of moisture (due to rain or even humidity), the interior of the garage can also go through those changes. Although those interior changes are not as drastic as the exterior, but if there’s any moisture in the air it could be trapped in areas of the vehicle such vehicle liners, soft parts, car covers, etc.

There’s specific products you can get at Home Depot or Lowe’s that you can place in areas of rooms, closets or garages that will wick out the moisture from the atmosphere which may help if the car is to be stored long periods of time.

There’s even specific products to place on the inside of the car too that will help guard against mold/mildew (that can happen even with windows up).

At any rate none of my three other cars have a moldy liner. Nor have i ever had any vehicle with mold. It has to be the material or something

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
At any rate none of my three other cars have a moldy liner. Nor have i ever had any vehicle with mold. It has to be the material or something
Trapped water. Things don't mold if they are dry.

Pnygrl61

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danae
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertable
Hello All,

I purchased a new 2017 Ford Mustang GT back in March and have been having issues with a light Musty smell in the interior of the car. Had the dealer check multiple times and could not find a cabin water leak NOR detect the problem. One dealer said it was normal because of the outside temperature and humidity. Decided to investigate the issue my self and noticed that the only thing that got wet was the hood insulation. Water would leak in between the Hood and the Insulation at the GT hood scoop location. At first I didn't think this would cause the musty smell because its inside the engine bay but somehow the design of the HVAC system has the outside air come from behind the battery at the firewall. Water eventually migrates from the hood scoop location to the battery tray area and drains to the side by the fenders, but the entire insulation path gets wet without a way to dry itself. Removed the insulation and sure enough musty smell is GONE. This problem would only affect ALL the GT's because of the hood scoops. Depending on how many car washes and rain, it could be a MUSTY problem.

Take a look at the images/attachments, MOLD is growing at the hood scoop locations on the insulation. I THINK THIS IS A BAD DESIGN. I'm thinking the hood vent opening needs to be the entire area of the hood scoop, there's extra water that gets in between the perimeter of the hood scoop and hood that leaks through the hood scoop clips to the insulation. I'm going to work with the dealer to see what solution FORD can come up with.

I hope this post can help someone with the same issue, you're not going crazy.
Hood Scoop Clips.PNG

IMG_2741.jpg
Hood Insulation.PNG
Hi I have this issue x10. I have a 2015 50th anniversary couldn't figure out why it smelled so bad and it was making me sick. I live in Florida mold is a real problem down here. I've had 21 cars if I've had one and never had this situation. Take a look at this. I'm getting ready to take it into the dealer on tuesday. Back in 2019 they replaced the hood because there was a rust spot on it and I wouldn't shut up about it. So anyway this is a newer Hood, it is not the original. I'm so pissed. I had my car detailed and steam cleaned, bought an ozone machine... Never saw this. 🤬

20210811_142549.jpg

20210811_142307.jpg

20210811_142200.jpg

20210811_142152.jpg

20210811_142139.jpg

20210811_142614.jpg

20210811_142129.jpg

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I've got the same on my 2020, mostly at the front edge of the liner.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
You would have thought that those insulation blankets would have been designed from mildew/mold proof material OR at least coated in something to prevent it.

Is the mold/mildew saturated through, meaning if you were to remove the liner, is it also present on the “top” side (facing bottom of hood)? Is it found throughout the layer of the material, or only on the “bottom” (facing engine)?

My 2018 has the hood vents; it’s been through the 4 seasons as far as weather, me washing it, and it’s been soaking wet when I clean under the hood. It’s definitely not doing what is seen in your images. That’s also with now 44k miles accumulated since new.

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
So, a question. Would it be a good idea to cut the insulation away from the heat extractors (where the water gets in) and then seal the edge of the insulation with silicone?

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase

Pnygrl61

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danae
Vehicle(s)
You would have thought that those insulation blankets would have been designed from mildew/mold proof material OR at least coated in something to prevent it.

Is the mold/mildew saturated through, meaning if you were to remove the liner, is it also present on the “top” side (facing bottom of hood)? Is it found throughout the layer of the material, or only on the “bottom” (facing engine)?

My 2018 has the hood vents; it’s been through the 4 seasons as far as weather, me washing it, and it’s been soaking wet when I clean under the hood. It’s definitely not doing what is seen in your images. That’s also with now 44k miles accumulated since new.
Hi I didn't know you responded, I don't know if it was all the way through because I didn't pull it out, all I did was spray it with vinegar because it was making me sick. They've had my car since Tuesday it's now Friday they just now called me said they sprayed some stuff on it smells fine but they're not taking it out. Who in their right mind leaves a moldy piece of fabric in a car? I'm waiting for him to call me back to tell me how much it's going to cost, I have the top of the line bumper to bumper warranty from Ford on this car and I'm about to unleash on somebody. If you think for a minute I'm going to tolerate you leaving a moldy rag under my hood and Pat me on the head you've misunderstood something. I've had a ton of cars. I've worked at BMW dealerships and had supras and all sorts of things and I've never ever seen anything like this. This service manager told me he'd never heard of this and I'm fixing to show him this thread. Apparently I didn't make this up.

Sponsored

Pnygrl61

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danae
Vehicle(s)
Update the service manager told me that they wouldn't pay for it, I just found out that they never in fact spoke to the Ford person that gave me the case number, regarding this issue. Wonder how he could determine that I should pay $200 for a hood liner without them making a decision?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Update the service manager told me that they wouldn't pay for it, I just found out that they never in fact spoke to the Ford person that gave me the case number, regarding this issue. Wonder how he could determine that I should pay $200 for a hood liner without them making a decision?
Call your Ford Regional CSR back ASAP and reference the Case #. Tell them your concerns resulted in an unsatisfied resolution and you don't feel that the shop did the repair in your best interest. Also mention you want a refund for work performed without you authorizing the job.

If there was any out of pocket cost associated with the repair efforts - the Service Writer should have called you and given you the total cost plus the option for you to deny or accept the repair.

If the part is defective by design - it should be replaced under warranty IF you still have a 3/36 in place OR a Ford ESP.

Pnygrl61

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danae
Vehicle(s)
Call your Ford Regional CSR back ASAP and reference the Case #. Tell them your concerns resulted in an unsatisfied resolution and you don't feel that the shop did the repair in your best interest. Also mention you want a refund for work performed without you authorizing the job.

If there was any out of pocket cost associated with the repair efforts - the Service Writer should have called you and given you the total cost plus the option for you to deny or accept the repair.

If the part is defective by design - it should be replaced under warranty IF you still have a 3/36 in place OR a Ford ESP.
Hi thank you so much for responding, I sent an email forwarding again, all of the photos and calling them both out on the fact that they hadn't even spoken. Neither one responded to my email but I have a call into the supervisor and they said it would take 24 hours for them to call me. I am going to light them up. I have been making all of my correspondence via email because they're not telling me the truth. I do have the top of the line warranty, and the hood was replaced in 2019 because there was a rough spot on it. So it's not the original hood. I have never seen anything like this in my life and I won't lay down on it. I still have a rental car and I'm worried that they're going to tell me I have to pay for that too. In which case I'll get a lawyer. It's my third Mustang and it will be my last if they don't do right by me. Thank you again for your advice. I intend to raise the roof. Stay safe

Pnygrl61

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danae
Vehicle(s)

Just an update, I tried for awhile yesterday to get someone up the food chain, the supervisor they emailed on Monday never called me at all. On Monday, when I finally got through to a rep, the first thing I asked her to do was to read me the comments on my case number from the rep and the service director (service mgr out with covid) the rep said there are no comments there's been no contact. So the SERVICE DIRECTOR told me Ford would NOT pay for anything, that it was pollen from a TREE, and they would replace the insulation for 200$, Sanitize my AC and ozone for another 200$ but I have to pay for it. So he flat out lied to me and never spoke to them. I spent all day yesterday on this, finally got a call from a Ford supervisor from Huston last night at 9:30. Lengthy conversation, I told him after what they've put me through and the bald face lies, from the Service Director, that this would in fact be the hill I die on. My 3rd GT, never had a complaint like this, and I have nothing better to do than make it my life's work. He ask me what I wanted, I listed it out and he said he will be getting back to me.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Just an update, I tried for awhile yesterday to get someone up the food chain, the supervisor they emailed on Monday never called me at all. On Monday, when I finally got through to a rep, the first thing I asked her to do was to read me the comments on my case number from the rep and the service director (service mgr out with covid) the rep said there are no comments there's been no contact. So the SERVICE DIRECTOR told me Ford would NOT pay for anything, that it was pollen from a TREE, and they would replace the insulation for 200$, Sanitize my AC and ozone for another 200$ but I have to pay for it. So he flat out lied to me and never spoke to them. I spent all day yesterday on this, finally got a call from a Ford supervisor from Huston last night at 9:30. Lengthy conversation, I told him after what they've put me through and the bald face lies, from the Service Director, that this would in fact be the hill I die on. My 3rd GT, never had a complaint like this, and I have nothing better to do than make it my life's work. He ask me what I wanted, I listed it out and he said he will be getting back to me.
Continue to keep us updated - this is ridiculous what you're going through.
Sponsored