Sponsored

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
similar numbers to mine 16GT 3.73gears Gen5 stage 2 on 3.875 and 91oct. 703.4whp and 555.7lb
3.73's - I am interested to hear your feedback on that gear with the Whipple. I have the PP1 and removed those 3.55 gears and went to 3.15's as that seems to be the setup of choice for drags (which is my first priority for the car). How do you find the higher gears on the street? I assume you are driving around on DR's? 1-2 a realistic thing etc?
Sponsored

L1ONKN6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
3.73's - I am interested to hear your feedback on that gear with the Whipple. I have the PP1 and removed those 3.55 gears and went to 3.15's as that seems to be the setup of choice for drags (which is my first priority for the car). How do you find the higher gears on the street? I assume you are driving around on DR's? 1-2 a realistic thing etc?
nope on 315/30/20 555g2's. 1st and 2nd are useless trying to put down power. 3rd you have to roll into the throttle if you stab it you better hold on. It is great for Canyons and back roads. Freeway rolls from 50 or 60 are good as it just keeps pulling until you let off.

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
nope on 315/30/20 555g2's. 1st and 2nd are useless trying to put down power. 3rd you have to roll into the throttle if you stab it you better hold on. It is great for Canyons and back roads. Freeway rolls from 50 or 60 are good as it just keeps pulling until you let off.
Wow! Those are not a soft tire...Have you thought about Toyo R888's or Nitto 555R's? I understand not wanting to go to a DR - they can get pulled by any undulation in the road and suck at handling - plus zero rain safety.

OP
OP
J17GT

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
The 3.73s with the MT82 is just silly. I just put drag radials on the rear otherwise it was like skating on ice through most of third gear. Now it holds the power in third, second still struggles but is better. I'm going to play with the flight control settings and pull power out of first and second. I am also anxious to test that at the track as I'll be running on a bias-ply.

I was debating to swap the rear gears to 3.31s. But when this MT82 goes, I'm most likely going to put a T56 Magnum XL in the car. I might need more gear than 3.73s for that setup.

L1ONKN6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Wow! Those are not a soft tire...Have you thought about Toyo R888's or Nitto 555R's? I understand not wanting to go to a DR - they can get pulled by any undulation in the road and suck at handling - plus zero rain safety.
They have been good for daily driving and yes you have to be very careful with the go pedal. makes every time you get behind the wheel very interesting.

Sponsored

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The 3.73s with the MT82 is just silly. I just put drag radials on the rear otherwise it was like skating on ice through most of third gear. Now it holds the power in third, second still struggles but is better. I'm going to play with the flight control settings and pull power out of first and second. I am also anxious to test that at the track as I'll be running on a bias-ply.

I was debating to swap the rear gears to 3.31s. But when this MT82 goes, I'm most likely going to put a T56 Magnum XL in the car. I might need more gear than 3.73s for that setup.
For the record - I would like to say that the T56 Magnum XL name could not possibly become more machismo if it tried lol...could literally be a name for a condom brand.

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
They have been good for daily driving and yes you have to be very careful with the go pedal. makes every time you get behind the wheel very interesting.
Having been in this position before - there are alternatives. I had 555R's on my rears and 555G2's for my fronts. That provided some solid traction and still provided good handling and daily manners. I went to Toyo R888's after that - and they were superior but not by much. IMHO 555G2's are way too hard a tire compound for rears on an FI RWD car. Since you have the G2's in the front - it would just be a rear swap. Up to you of course. I am going ET Street R with my setup - as I am not looking to canyon carve with this setup.

L1ONKN6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Having been in this position before - there are alternatives. I had 555R's on my rears and 555G2's for my fronts. That provided some solid traction and still provided good handling and daily manners. I went to Toyo R888's after that - and they were superior but not by much. IMHO 555G2's are way too hard a tire compound for rears on an FI RWD car. Since you have the G2's in the front - it would just be a rear swap. Up to you of course. I am going ET Street R with my setup - as I am not looking to canyon carve with this setup.
had the tires prior to the whipple and now only drive it about twice per week. Once the rears are gone I will be moving to the 555R's
Sponsored