Sponsored

2017 BMW M140i(auto) to a 2018 GT Mustang(auto)?

Timetaker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW M140i (8speed)
I've been toying with the idea of buying an auto 2018 Mustang. I currently drive a BMW, it is a fast hatch with the 3.0L straight six and the 8-speed auto.I've been reading about the 2018 Mustang and generally, there have been positive opinions on the car. I would not be tracking the car and it would be my daily driver. My first questions are in regards to the ride quality specifically with and without the magneride system. Is the Mustang ok with normal suspension in terms of comfort AND spirited driving? Does the magneride produce a significant difference? So far, I've read that the motor is plenty powerful surely, it should give me just as much if not more acceleration than my M140i?
I realize that there isn't a large number of people on these forums that have received their 2018 Mustang but I would appreciate any feedback,advice,opinions who have experienced the 2018 GT.Thanks

PS: Opinions on the 10 speed auto would also be appreciated.

Joseph.
Sponsored

Last edited:

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
I've been toying with the idea of buying an auto 2018 Mustang. I currently drive a BMW, it is a fast hatch with the 3.0L straight six and the 8-speed auto.I've been reading about the 2018 Mustang and generally, there have been positive opinions on the car. I would not be tracking the car and it would be my daily driver. My first questions are in regards to the ride quality specifically with and without the magneride system. Is the Mustang ok with normal suspension in terms of comfort AND spirited driving? Does the magneride produce a significant difference? So far, I've read that the motor is plenty powerful surely, it should give me just as much if not more acceleration than my M140i?
I realize that there isn't a large number of people on these forums that have received their 2018 Mustang but I would appreciate any feedback,advice,opinions who have experienced the 2018 GT.Thanks

PS: Opinions on the 10 speed auto would also be appreciated.

Joseph.
I’ve got 2017 but believe the seats are same. Uncomfortable and poor quality.

Had other body trim issues - repaired under warranty at dealer.
Headlights inadequate for my high speed interstate hauls.
Stereo same as my 2006 Mazda.

So far no issues with oil cooler or air conditioning. Not sure these issues addressed in update. Glad I took 6 year Factory Warranty.

Great looking car - do love it

Vinno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Fastback Manual
Hired a 2018 10 speed auto in the US recently and it is quick. In sport mode the gearbox is fantastic it will drop 4 or 5 gears instantly under full throttle. There is not a lot of difference in power between ours and the US version this time either.

As for suspension it is hard to know as it was a convertible without magnaride so it may be softer than a performance pack GT without the magnaride. Being in the US it was pretty much freeway driving but the handling seemed ok.

Fen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury GT Convertible with Magneride
Hard to say as very few people will have experience of an '18 with and without Magneride.

What I can offer is that a 2018 with Magneride is noticeably more comfortable and compliant than a 2016 without. Having had a few BMWs over the years I can’t see you finding even a non Magneride Mustang overly harsh as M spec BMWs have always been among the stiffest rides I have owned.

Also from my BMW experience I'd suggest you’d find the handling less precise. We actually chose our 2016 over an M3 coupe specifically because it is less capable - I've had too many cars that have been too capable to be fun unless going a stupidly illegal speeds so they end up either being frustrating to drive or a little too exciting knowing that being caught having fun could result in something more severe than a speeding fine.

Also, don't take too much notice of some of Radar's comments above, not because he isn’t making fair comment, but the 2018 is a much better and more together feeling car than the 2016/17. It also has some upgrades such as LED lights that would directly address some of the criticism.

Seats are no different in the '18, but comfort is in the behind of the sitter - I never found them especially comfortable or uncomfortable, but being cooled is nice when it’s hot. Quality is not to BMW levels, but other than the strap that holds the seatbelt in place not terrible in my experience either. M seats are better.

Panel gaps etc can be variable between cars. Our '16 was OK except the boot lid sat badly, which was corrected by the dealer. The '18 is OK as it came. Paint quality is also only OK. Some cars are better than others and some are fine, but some aren't which is not as it should be.

Bottom line it's a Ford. It isn't in the same league as BMW (and it’s OK to say that now - 2 years ago I was viciously flamed for saying something similar in comparison to Audi, but some members' rose tinted glasses have settled down a bit now I guess). I don’t know about Aus pricing, but over in NZ the prices of BMW and Mustang clearly reflect that you aren’t getting the same quality of product.

All that said we bought an '18 after I became unable to drive our manual '16 (through breaking my back in a mountain bike crash). We did that without hesitation, and it's literally the first time I have ever bought a newer model of the same vehicle to replace my current one, so that says something.

Last edited:

Fen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury GT Convertible with Magneride
Oh, and the 10 speed seems pretty awesome.

I drove a couple of 6 speed auto previous models and was happy we had gone manual.

I’ve yet to have hand controls installed in the '18 so I haven’t driven it yet, but as a passenger it’s clearly much, much better and I’m not unhappy that we had to go auto this time.

In Normal mode it slurs shifts very smoothly, Sport+ gets a bit more aggressive and also blips the throttle on downshifts (which I loved about the M3 CSL), although it can have so many ratios to come down when decelerating it gets almost comical. My wife is picky about me changing driving modes but it gets extremely aggressive and thumps home very fast shifting as the modes get more focussed.
Sponsored

Reactions: PKs