2017/18 gt 350 or….

Munising

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
F150
Well I’ve been hot on the trail of a few lower mileage 17s and 18’s, due to budget constraints, however I’m
beginning to second guess my search. Long time Shelby fan who finally wants to scratch the itch.
First of all it will never see the track and it will only be a summertime driver. I’m not a mechanic or tweeter and want to have as much of a trouble free experience as I can. Would I be better off switching routes to looking at higher mileage 19’s I can rely on the manufacturer warranty if anything goes wrong ? Or would a lower mileage older model without warranty reliably suit the type of driving I plan on doing?
Any help from those that have owned these cars will be appreciated!
Sponsored

Bdubbs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brady
Vehicle(s)
A handful
Buying any used car is a gamble. I've only had our 19 since last May and the original owner put 17k miles on it. I've maybe put a 100 miles on it since then... :(

Everyone seems to want a super low mileage one. I see more super low mileage ones that seem to more problems.

Then again, I wanted a low mileage one, but I love velocity blue and I had a hard time finding that color.

My powertrain warranty is good until 08/2025. But I plan on getting an extended warranty.

If you buy a 19-20 you could definitely get an extended warranty for a piece of mind.

IMG_20230202_144523280.jpg

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
I'd personally get an extended warranty regardless of the model year. Outside of a warranty, you can only get a used engine (Ford doesn't offer them) and they are quite expensive.

The reports about engine reliability are all over the place. From zero issues and beating the snot out of it for thousands of miles on a race track to engine failures on low mileage vehicles during normal street driving. However, the whole engine issue topic seems to be in part internet hysteria (the issues with the oil filter on early models are resolved I believe) as the majority of engines seem to be fine. Oil consumption varies with these motors, though.

IF you haven't driven one, I'd do so first before deciding anything. The GT350 is very different from the other Mustangs. It is quite raw, torque comes on later in the rpm band, handling is on a different level. I always think of it is a race car that can be driven on the street. I love the Shelby brand and heritage as well (despite the GT350 being a Ford Performance product and not a "real" Shelby), and almost bought one. I keep going back to it, but also question myself if I am more in love with the idea of owning this vehicle than I'd actually be using it for its intended purpose. Everybody has to decide for themselves. I'm currently leaning towards a Mach 1 again as a compromise that makes more sense for my needs and is a little easier on the wallet.

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I'd personally get an extended warranty regardless of the model year. Outside of a warranty, you can only get a used engine (Ford doesn't offer them) and they are quite expensive.
This isn't entirely true. If you're out of warranty but have the dealer do the work, you're getting a new one from Ford.

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
This isn't entirely true. If you're out of warranty but have the dealer do the work, you're getting a new one from Ford.
Sorry, I didn't know. This is good as for getting a brand new engine (as long as Ford has shelved enough). Do you by chance know how much Ford would charge for a new one?

Sponsored

Tatonka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP, 2018 GT350SE, 2020 GT350 Heritage
I went a different route. I bought a high mileage 18 (24k) and added the extended warranty through Lombard Ford. I have had a consumption test to be sure it wasn't burning any oil and so far we are about 3k in and it hasn't moved. I recently sent it to Shelby for the signature upgrade but this was mostly for the interior refresh. The driver side Recaro was damaged/worn and Ford charges 2k for one seat cover. Anyway with that in mind it justified it to me. I guess what I am saying is I wouldn't be afraid of a high mileage car or even a gen 1 car that has had the gen 2 swapped motor in it.

lunatect

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Get a 2016 with the tech option. Get a low mileage one at about 20,000 miles for $50k.

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
Outside of a warranty, you can only get a used engine (Ford doesn't offer them) and they are quite expensive.
or just pull the engine and send it to one of the voodoo rebuilders…save some moolah and keep the original engine between the frame rails 👍🏼

Racinjason65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1M-82
Last August I picked up an 18 with 14k miles from one owner, still under warranty, enough miles that I would think problems would have popped their heads up, i had zero oil consumption in 3k miles so I went ahead and put a Whipple on it and did oil pump gears and crank sprocket for piece of mind. Mine shares DD with 2 other vehicles, and I’m retired so I don’t drive much, and if the other cars weren’t fun to drive as well I’d have no problem DD the GT350

tobaccokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
I'll avoid the many parts I can provide you to answer your question completely. Being an engineer and a crazed car enthusiast I can definitely get into the weeds. Suits me, but not necessarily everyone else.
For reference I have a 2019. Additionally I own a C7 Corvette Z06 auto, upgraded to 710 hp.

My suggestion is to direct you toward a 2019:
- I prefer to have the strengthened GT500 block
- There are always subtle, but relevant, upgrades, i.e. mag shock programming, spring rates, etc.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BryanCO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 2007 GT3
People like to mention oil consumption but I haven’t seen any real info or data correlating oil consumption with engine failure.

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Sorry, I didn't know. This is good as for getting a brand new engine (as long as Ford has shelved enough). Do you by chance know how much Ford would charge for a new one?
I have no clue but I believe Federal regulations require them to keep enough for 10 years from last production date. So they should be able to supply until 2030.

I have a Gen 1 motor with 35k miles and it doesn't drink any oil.

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
I’ll offer this for another perspective. I’ve got 32xxxx on my 17’ and it has been completely trouble free. I do not take it to the track but do enjoy driving it hard and don’t hesitate to run it to redline often.

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
BLUF: Get a car still under warranty, or can qualify for one. I've been in your position...twice. Possessing two previously-owned 2016 R models, I can say that its very easy to tell if a GT350 has been abused and is a "definite pass". Check out the driver's seat left bolster and engine bay. Anyone who loves these cars will get in and out very cautiously so as not to wear out the cloth on the Recaro or sofa seat bolsters. If the car has been driven hard and not allowed to cool properly, the coolant tank will turn yellow. If you can find a lift, look at the underside to include the rocker panels. If the rocker panels are beat up, chances are it's seen a lot of track use.

The DIB R in my 6g photo was a track car and had the oil pump fail under warranty (fortunately on my driveway). Fixed by Ford. The SB R in the right background was not a track car...it was like new, and has had zero issues.

Both are now out of warranty...I'm not concerned. I treat them as designed and take care of them as designed.

My recommendation....find one that's obviously been cared for, in the color that you love that's still under warranty, or buy an extended warranty.
Sponsored