Sponsored

2016 v6 has been repaired 6 times for a rear main seal leak

Twi5ter.0range

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I have a 2016 v6 and i’ve taken it in for repairs on a real main seal leak 6 times and everytime they do “repair” it, it starts leaking again. My main thing is that they have to drop the transmission in order to repair the seal and on a new car dropping a tranny 6 times is no good. I don’t drive the car like a maniac i get 22 miles to the gallon driving only city. Car has around 58k miles now and it started leaking around 51k. Everything has been covered under powertrain warranty. Any suggestions as to why it won’t stop leaking after so many repair attempts? Pics are all different times after different repair attempts.
B9A9ACF9-8087-465F-8A79-26757B5D48D1.png
3CCBC9F8-CFF3-4767-8804-2B533DF4983A.jpeg
EA1C7B06-80AA-40E0-9557-6DC3AD2E00BB.jpeg
B9A9ACF9-8087-465F-8A79-26757B5D48D1.png
FB5A1B64-8C0F-4E62-92CC-B4DFCBC770BE.png
Sponsored

Qckslvr

fiercely mediocre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT
You need to read all the ROs to see what they have replaced. The 6K301 is the rear main seal plate assembly and the 6701 is the seal it self. I suspect they are changing the seal only, or the crank is damaged and they are not replacing the crank as they should.

Here is a diagram so you can compare basic part numbers on your RO to the illustration.

If your car is still under warranty do not be afraid to call Ford and complain. Tell them everything that has been done. Ford does not like to keep paying for the same job over and over again.

v6.jpg

Chadillac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
'96 Mustang GT, '73 El Camino, '12 Mazdaspeed3
Hate to see that. Are you taking it to your dealer? I know it’s an inconvenience but you might want to look into a different one. If you go that route, take each invoice from the repairs with you and explain what has been done each time and the problem persists. But as Qckslvr mentioned, they’re probably missing the actual problem. You’d be amazed at the variances in quality of work.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
The other two people above are correct, there's no way that many seals have failed on their own and they are just fixing the symptom not the problem. I'd bring it in again and point to the service history to hope that they put it together as well. As for the transmission drops though don't worry, you could drop that thing 100 times and it would be just as good as the first.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I had a similar issue on my 2003 Mach1. I took it in, they fixed it, it started to leak again, they took it back, fixed it again. 3rd time I asked "is this a common issues this is the 3rd time it's been fixed"

No lie the Ford service manager said, "well I guess whatever shop fixed it before didn't do it right." I stone looked him in the face. "You guys did it. Twice. And delt with you as Manager BOTH times." The look on his face said that he CLEARLY wasn't expecting that.

I stopped going to that dealer. Not much longer they were supposed to do work on my dad's truck. He went to pick it up, paid, then went out to get his truck and looked under it and went back in and sked for a refund. The Manager asked him why and my dad was like "I'd love to know how they took apart the rear to fix it but NOT manage to knock any of the caked-on dirt off..." Clearly no work had been done on it at all.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Improper job, damaged crank that's nicking the seal, or (least likely) PCV valve is stuck shut and the crankcase is overpressurizing from blow by and blowing out the rear main.

OP
OP
Twi5ter.0range

Twi5ter.0range

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I really appreciate everyone’s replies. They only replaced the rear main seal itself and engine oil pan (oil pan was replaced once) the last 6 times and nothing else. And yes unfortunately i’ve been going to the same dealer and the customer service is just pure trash. I’ve been in contact with a ford regional manger the past couple times and so far she hasn’t helped either. Car is currently at a different dealership as we speak and they’re gonna drop the transmission tomorrow and see. Independent mechanic also told me they might have damaged my crankshaft and don’t want to say anything because that would come out of their pocket. The whole experience has just been terrible they misalign my exhaust tips ( every single time), i pick the car up and the flowmaster outlaws are banging against the control arm( has happened 3 times), someone literally peeled a small part of my racing stripes ( made dealer pay for it) , they hit my rear bumper on something and chipped about an inch and a half of the paint and they sent me somewhere to put touch up paint on it...... because of course they don’t wanna pay to repaint the whole bumper. I left a bad review but i can’t even see it on google😂 which i know exactly why.I will keep you guys updated. Thanks again for all the replies

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
6 times under warranty? Buy back time, or new engine.

OP
OP
Twi5ter.0range

Twi5ter.0range

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
6 times under warranty? Buy back time, or new engine.
i know right. already spoke to a couple lawyers and they won’t buy the car back since it’s a used car from 2016, that’s only for newer cars at least in texas.

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I really appreciate everyone’s replies. They only replaced the rear main seal itself and engine oil pan (oil pan was replaced once) the last 6 times and nothing else. And yes unfortunately i’ve been going to the same dealer and the customer service is just pure trash. I’ve been in contact with a ford regional manger the past couple times and so far she hasn’t helped either. Car is currently at a different dealership as we speak and they’re gonna drop the transmission tomorrow and see. Independent mechanic also told me they might have damaged my crankshaft and don’t want to say anything because that would come out of their pocket. The whole experience has just been terrible they misalign my exhaust tips ( every single time), i pick the car up and the flowmaster outlaws are banging against the control arm( has happened 3 times), someone literally peeled a small part of my racing stripes ( made dealer pay for it) , they hit my rear bumper on something and chipped about an inch and a half of the paint and they sent me somewhere to put touch up paint on it...... because of course they don’t wanna pay to repaint the whole bumper. I left a bad review but i can’t even see it on google😂 which i know exactly why.I will keep you guys updated. Thanks again for all the replies
The classic Ford dealership experience, ruining good cars for people since...forever.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Twi5ter.0range

Twi5ter.0range

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Got a call and they're going to replace the short block so hopefully that fixes it.
Sponsored