Sponsored

2016 Shelby GT350 vs. 2016 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 (USA vs Germany)

viva_brasil

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nik
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT
911s have a ton of rear grip on corner exit, very confidence inspiring. And the 991s wider front track and moving engine forward a bit helps reduce braking + turn in sketchiness. Comparing to the GT350, I can see how they feel it'll bite you, the 911 is more forgiving and you can get away with more with all that rear grip. GT350 has higher center of gravity and less weight out back, if you get sloppy the physics of the GT350 is more challenging to handle. Funner imo.
Sponsored

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
911s have a ton of rear grip on corner exit, very confidence inspiring. And the 991s wider front track and moving engine forward a bit helps reduce braking + turn in sketchiness. Comparing to the GT350, I can see how they feel it'll bite you, the 911 is more forgiving and you can get away with more with all that rear grip. GT350 has higher center of gravity and less weight out back, if you get sloppy the physics of the GT350 is more challenging to handle. Funner imo.
Who doesnt like sliding their gt350 around lol

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
But that's not how a GT350 feels at all. Likely part of it is extra mechanical grip and less weight than the nose, but its very easy to control the rear end unless you've gone so wrong anything would have an issue with your driving. Its very easy to drive the front with the steering wheel and the back with the gas pedal. Over cook a corner and its willing to scrub speed to restore the line if you let it.

Also, It simply doesn't have issues getting the power down out of corners either, high rpm, smooth torque curve, and massive rear tires ensure it.

slc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I'm not sure you can compare these two cars, other than having 4 wheels and both being extremely fun they are different beasts.

Having owned an R and now a 991.2S the GT350R was a monster in comparison to the 911. Much more raw capability and no doubt (in my mind) would be faster on any track with a skilled driver. The 911 is much more refined and has more of a classic sports car feel (even though most P-car fans would call it a GT compared to the Boxster or Cayman).

Can't say I've driven either car at 9/10s or better for any extended period so someone else may be able to add their experience on both cars when continually pushed to the limit on which is more forgiving. For spirited road driving the 911 feels more relaxed, although this may be more of an issue that I'm comparing it to an R which had some severe tramlining on my local roads.

As an everyday driver the 911 wins hands down. Quality, materials, feel, design (ergonomics) are all better in the 911 and given the price delta they should be. Someone on this board summed it up best describing the GT350 as a $30K car with a $30K engine and there is absolutely nothing wrong with this. I know I bought the car for the Voodoo (would guess most others did as well) so Ford obviously hit the mark, the fact the car is also great to look at doesn't hurt as well.

I had not been a big fan of the 991 for no other reason than I had previously owned a 997 along with multiple other P-car and thought they had gone too far away from the 911's roots. The 991.2 really changed my mind, it is just a fun car to drive with great road feel and performance. While not as raw as the GT3s etc it absolutely the best "all around" Porsche I've owned or driven.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
Why the hell did they not mention that a track pack was an option period. Like I said what rock are they living under. They took a knive to a gun fight.

Sponsored

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Same thing all over again. First Ford sends a loaded gtpp for a performance test and now they sent a tech pack gt 350! Seriously!
Most auto journalist and magazines don't convey what the car will be used for.

An acquaintance of mine work on the Ram program, and a certain publication asked for trucks, a random truck from the fleet was sent.

Turned out to be a towing comparison. And boy where they pissed.

I am not sure if this is done on purpose to try and prevent gaming with pre production vehicles. But it seems Ford typical will send a highly contented vehicle.
Sponsored