Sponsored

2016 Shelby GT350 Car Trailer Information

mustang_lurkers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT 350 Tech Package
My Shelby GT350 will not be delivered until winter and since Military AutoSource requires that I take delivery of the car in the state that I will register it in I will have to transport it 300 miles to my home. I don't want to drive the car during the winter and also want to avoid chips so I have reserved a truck and a car trailer from a rental company. Have any of you transported your car on a similar trailer and can give me any information? I am fine with loading a low clearance car and using 2X8 boards to increase the ground clearance but I don't want to have to climb out of the car window to get out of it on the trailer. Will the driver's door clear the ramp wheels hub when it is folded down? Did you need to use boards to get it on the trailer and again to clear the wheel stops? Please help. If it is too much of a pain in the butt I will cancel the truck and trailer reservation.
Car Carrier1.png
Sponsored

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Who's pic is that? Looks like another AG. Cool!

Make sure the trailer's driver side fender is removable so ingress/egress is easy otherwise yes you will have to climb out of the window. If the trailer bed is wide (i.e. 82") then you may have enough room to open the door even if the fenders are not removable but you may have to load it on the bed a little on the right side. Weight distribution is also important so check to ensure the car isn't parked on the bed too much forward or too much to the rear since the heaviest part is where the engine is. It's always good to have a spotter and it's always good to triple check every step.

Car trailers usually have 5' long ramps but the longer the better and to be safe might as well bring a pair of 2x8 as you suggested. If the trailer you're renting has a dove tail, then loading/unloading is even easier. I haven't loaded my GT350 yet but I have done this on my Z06 numerous times and that car is lower than the GT350 so front clearance should be okay. I suggest not to have your front splitter installed yet anyway.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Looks like Lund

OP
OP

mustang_lurkers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi,
It is Lund and his GT350. It was the only loaded GT350 Picture I could find. I will be using a car trailer from one of the rental truck companies. They have the ones where the trailer fender folds down to the side on the driver's side but I don't know if it will still be low enough. I will order some ramp extenders that reduce the angle so getting it on and off the trailer will be easier. They reduce the angle to 4 degrees so it will make it on even with the front air dam installed. The wheel stops are 6" tall so I will use 2X8 boards to clear them. I am sure the car must have more than 4" of ground clearance up front so boards should work. I will measure twice and load once :) I am getting two old to be climbing out of a car window so hopeully the fold down trailer fenders are enough.

OP
OP

mustang_lurkers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The door will need "8 from the ground to clear the frame once the trailer fender is folded down. If the bottom of the door has less than 8" ground clearance I will be climbing out the window. I put my S197 SALEEN on the trailer a few times and didnt need to climb out of the window but I dont know about this time.

Sponsored

CliffClavin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Van down by the river
Asked a nearly identical question in the S550 section.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19407

I am exploring this option as a possibility if the weather is a mess. I'll take detailed pics and write up my experience if I go this route. I would be renting a one way Uhaul (or similar) truck and trailer and bring it back.

ohtobbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
If you use a U-haul, they are open to the road below, nasty if roads are bad.
If so you may want to consider a diaper, can make one with a tarp.
Have seen it done and is quite effective at keeping road salt off the bottom of car.

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
If you use a tarp to protect the bottom of the car, make sure you don't position it under the tires. Even if the tires are cinched down tight (as opposed to just using the under-car towing spots for your tiedowns), the car will slide around on the tarp.

OP
OP

mustang_lurkers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From the picture it looks like the car door will clear when the fender well is folded. I sure hope that will be the case. Thanks for the help everyone!
Sponsored