Sponsored

2016 mustang gt upgraded but feeling slow!? Anyone else?

JaymesLannan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang gt
Hey guys/Gals!

First of all, i am new to the forums here so go easy on me ;) Just looking for input and hoping to find someone who is close to my mustang. So i have been picking away on my mustang for months now trying to get those numbers up! Here is the list so far...

2016 mustang gt:
Airaid intake
Kooks axle back with h pipe
(It was at this point i threw it on a dyno)= 381hp / 348 tq
Wasnt good enough so i took it further and added the following...

2018 intake manifold w/ wire harness
custom VMP tune (91 octane/ Arizona struggle bus)

So whats the point to this post, huh?

I have seen SO many videos of people doing the manifold and tune and being blown away. But when i did mine, it was barely noticed and i was not really impressed at all. Like, i can tell a slight torque change, but by NO means does it feel special like everyone says.

Anyone else feel like that after the intake manifold upgrade? Is it really as night and day as some have made it to be?

LMK!
Sponsored

OP
OP
JaymesLannan

JaymesLannan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang gt
Install was not big deal but here is the bay mid install
20190426_212732.jpg

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
The cold air and exhaust might pick up 5hp combined. The 2018 manifold does pick up some power but it’s all up top. Between that and the VMP tune you should see an appreciable bump, butbthen again you are likely octane limited. Have you reviewed any logs to see what kind of timing the car is seeing?

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Upgrade injectors and switch to ethanol. I'm running a jlt intake and my 91 tune from Lund had no noticable gains. After finishing tuning on ethanol it's a world of difference. If you dont want to switch to corn then make sure your gassing up at shell. Before I switched I noticed my car was definitely quicker when running shell gas. Their quality out here in Az is better than anywhere else I've found.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
It sounds like an issue with your expectations. If you thought the mods were going to create a rocket-ship, dramatically different from stock, that might be the issue.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
You probably picked up 20whp between the tune and intake. My but dyno can't feel a 20hp increase on the street. Maybe if you had some before and after dyno results? Or some 1/4 mile passes to show gains. It would put your mind to ease. But its not going to feel like a different car with just a few bolt ons.

OP
OP
JaymesLannan

JaymesLannan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang gt
I have not yet. Was going to record some logs and have vmp take a look.

OP
OP
JaymesLannan

JaymesLannan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang gt
It sounds like an issue with your expectations. If you thought the mods were going to create a rocket-ship, dramatically different from stock, that might be the issue.
I don't think so. Wasn't expecting a rocket ship but definitely was expecting something noticeable since everyone else seemed to notice after these mods

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Confirmation bias is strong on car forums. Gotta wait a year or two for the truth to come out about most modifications. It’s like a feeding frenzy, all someone has to do is say how great something is then it’s game on and everyone can’t get their hands on the latest greatest fast enough. After that, it’s a shame fest if anyone has the audacity to go against the grain and say something less than stellar about what everyone’s spent their hard earned money on.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Just like when I harp on people about upgrading their sway bars thinking they now have a laser guided S2000. Then someone who's actually paying attention does it and feels nothing. Well, it's because it's the streets.

"Oh my god the car handles so much better!"

Doing what? Pulling out of Starbucks? Get real...

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Upgrade injectors and switch to ethanol. I'm running a jlt intake and my 91 tune from Lund had no noticable gains. After finishing tuning on ethanol it's a world of difference. If you dont want to switch to corn then make sure your gassing up at shell. Before I switched I noticed my car was definitely quicker when running shell gas. Their quality out here in Az is better than anywhere else I've found.
Shell..ditto.

OP
OP
JaymesLannan

JaymesLannan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang gt
Confirmation bias is strong on car forums. Gotta wait a year or two for the truth to come out about most modifications. It’s like a feeding frenzy, all someone has to do is say how great something is then it’s game on and everyone can’t get their hands on the latest greatest fast enough. After that, it’s a shame fest if anyone has the audacity to go against the grain and say something less than stellar about what everyone’s spent their hard earned money on.
This is so true. Could not have said it better myself!

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Yeah people hype up stuff all day long. Throttle body spacers!!!
Sponsored