2016 Mustang GT - Putting car in Gear Causes RPMS to Surge and Almost Stall

thegtway

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Arhmad
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
This is an issue that just started happening a few nights ago when I pout my car in Drive or Reverse with my foot still on the brake The car jerks forward or backwards depending on if I'm putting it in Reverse or Drive and the RPMS go from 750 to 400-500 and starts to surge and as soon as I throw it back in Park Or I put it in Neutral the RPMSs correct themselves immediately and idles normal. Anyone have any idea what might be causing this ? Not getting any check engine lights The car has Long tube headers with a Lund tune I've had the same tune for 2 years now so I doubt its tune related.

Also The car does not let me do a burnout since this has started happening. When attempting to do a burnout the RPMS sit still at 400-500 rpms with my foot on the brake and my other foot pressed all the way down on the gas and my vacuum gauge drops all the way to 0.

I will upload a video below to show what is happening when putting the car into Drive.

Sponsored

OP
OP

thegtway

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Arhmad
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
Possible Torque converter going bad? the car also shifts really hard going from 1st to second.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Disconnect the battery for a while and then reconnect and try again

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If the car is shifting hard, usually it can be valve body related (excessive line pressure). If you have not changed anything at all - didn’t do any changes to software (tune) or hardware prior to this event happening, I’d suspect the valve body first.

Does the car slam into gear when going from Park to Reverse, or when going from Reverse to Drive? Is the harsh shift more present after the car is warmed up, or does not matter?
Sponsored