Sponsored

2016 Mustang GT automatic, Sport mode is jerky when I downshift plz help it jolts forward

MustangAmir

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Amir
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gray GT
Hi I just bought a 2016 Mustang GT automatic used, so far the problems i noticed were easy to fix no big deal but however when I would put the car in paddle shift mode and I would upshift then later on downshift and apply the gas again the car would jolt forward like its about to stall its done that a good amount of times is this normal or is this serious because I'm very worried the motion is like somebody hitting the gas quickly over and over again its done it when its in sport mode and a couple of time in drive when I use the paddle shifters any help would be very appreciated thanks the video at the bottom is not mine but its the exact problem I have.

0:33 Now playing Watch later
Sponsored

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
Paddle shifter use in Drive is sketchy at best. I like using the paddles in gear shifter sport mode when accelerating. The cool thing about that is if you just let it downshift on it’s own after using the paddles it downshifts very smooth all the way to 1st gear. It actually goes from 3rd to 1st, skipping 2nd completely on downshifts. If I could remap the post paddle use downshift sport mode to the auto sport mode and add auto 6th gear engagement then Sport mode would be perfect. I am not sure if my explanation is clear.

OP
OP

MustangAmir

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Amir
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gray GT
But even when I shifted it into sport mode then I used the paddle shifters it still did it so its not just drive with paddle shifters. But has this happened to you before where you accelerate then paddle shift into 2nd then downshift into 1st then jolt when you press the accelerator during sport mode. Could you also explain your idea a little more detailed I'm just so confused this is my first mustang.

BFord1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If you put the transmission in Sport and let the car shift itself (don't touch the paddles) does it still do it?

OP
OP

MustangAmir

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Amir
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gray GT
No It didn't I think it was mostly when I used the paddle shifters.

Sponsored

BFord1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If it's a tune or converter related occasional surge you may just learn to drive around it. My car surges t part throttle and I've learned to drive around it. If the car is acting like it's going to stall out that's a problem. Is the car stock? If it has an aftermarket tune I'd try to get a datalog to the tuner.

OP
OP

MustangAmir

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Amir
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gray GT
Well The only aftermarket part it has is a exhaust from the previous owner the rest is stock but I'm not sure if the guy put a tune despite the modified exhaust.

FatBurritoEater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1 (Race Red)
Hi I just bought a 2016 Mustang GT automatic used, so far the problems i noticed were easy to fix no big deal but however when I would put the car in paddle shift mode and I would upshift then later on downshift and apply the gas again the car would jolt forward like its about to stall its done that a good amount of times is this normal or is this serious because I'm very worried the motion is like somebody hitting the gas quickly over and over again its done it when its in sport mode and a couple of time in drive when I use the paddle shifters any help would be very appreciated thanks the video at the bottom is not mine but its the exact problem I have.

0:33 Now playing Watch later
Have you tried forcing yourself not to let off prior to the downshift? Don't do anything inconsistent or different in the throttle as you upshift or downshift like you would in a normal car. Paddle the gears independently of your throttle input. Or, try giving more time before engaging the throttle. It doesn't really engage quickly, especially if going down multiple gears.

I've gotten your bunny hopping thing when the car is unhappy with my timing of the throttle input.

OP
OP

MustangAmir

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Amir
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gray GT
How often does it happened to you and thanks for the advice

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I will say that switching from 87 to 93 octane has made mine much happier. It is much smoother operational wise than before without all the “jerkiness” it had when I first got it. It took a couple of tanks of 93 to smooth out, especially once hot weather set in. I have a BP store 2 miles from me that has 93 cheaper than anybody in my area. For me it’s worth the extra cost. I even added this decal in case someone else fuels it up, maybe they will pay attention.

E8C79FD4-E65F-4031-8E05-A54456F3BD27.jpeg

Sponsored

GasPedal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium | Race Red
It’s basically kangaroo-ing and I have it in my 16 AT as well. You said you just bought it, I found the transmission in manual mode to require some getting used to with timing to keep the car smooth.

Basically when that happens I either shift up, let go of the gas, or give it a little more gas then shift based on what situation I’m in. Sometimes I start in second just to avoid it completely if I’m going to be starting off and going into a turn.

Downshifting can also be an issue if poorly timed. The car downshifts on its own when you drop a significant amount of speed or come to a spot very smoothly as a tip. But it is fun to hear the rev match on the downshift, so I’d say just take it slow and see how the car feels downshifting at different speeds. For me I’ve noticed downshifting into 2nd is way smoother at about 38mph and I don’t bother with going into first.

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I like using the paddles with the selector in S or Sport mode. Once you use the paddles the first time, all upshifts are manual only but..... here’s the best part, it will downshift on it’s on when decelerating and it does this downshifting as smoothly as Drive mode. I do notice that as you come to a stop, it will go from 3 to 1 just before the car comes to a complete stop bypassing 2nd completely. I would love to have a tuner remap the trans to when in full auto Sport mode the downshifts operate like it does once you use the paddles the first time. In other words, Sport would provide the increased rpm shift points and snappier shifts but would have the smoother downshifting properties of the post paddle use of the Sport mode.

Try this. Put the gear selector in Sport, press the left paddle so it starts in full manual mode. Take off normally and shift through the gears with the right paddle, you can even use 6th gear like this. Now, slow down as if approaching a stop sign and let the trans downshift on it’s own without touching the paddles. It should be a smooth experience unlike downshifting using the paddles which is a harsh rev matching experience. This is my favorite way to drive my Mustang.

FatBurritoEater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like using the paddles with the selector in S or Sport mode. Once you use the paddles the first time, all upshifts are manual only but..... here’s the best part, it will downshift on it’s on when decelerating and it does this downshifting as smoothly as Drive mode. I do notice that as you come to a stop, it will go from 3 to 1 just before the car comes to a complete stop bypassing 2nd completely. I would love to have a tuner remap the trans to when in full auto Sport mode the downshifts operate like it does once you use the paddles the first time. In other words, Sport would provide the increased rpm shift points and snappier shifts but would have the smoother downshifting properties of the post paddle use of the Sport mode.

Try this. Put the gear selector in Sport, press the left paddle so it starts in full manual mode. Take off normally and shift through the gears with the right paddle, you can even use 6th gear like this. Now, slow down as if approaching a stop sign and let the trans downshift on it’s own without touching the paddles. It should be a smooth experience unlike downshifting using the paddles which is a harsh rev matching experience. This is my favorite way to drive my Mustang.
I have been taking advantage of this favorable downshifting in paddle mode recently.

The one judgement call is whether you will need to fully stop or not. If not, I find there is a window to manually downshift yourself before the car starts the automatic downshifting. If the car starts the auto process, you lose the ability to downshift past third and it gets trapped in this shitty state without the ability to accelerate properly. To avoid, I'll manually downshift 3-4 clicks all at once and the car does the revmatch downshifting more typical of the S Auto mode without paddles engaged.

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I frequently downshift to 2nd using this method as I am coming to a stop, other times if I am just slowing due to traffic then I may paddle down. It can definitely be a “dance” but once you learn its quirks it is fun. If this wasn’t our DD we would have looked for one with the manual trans. :)

FatBurritoEater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I frequently downshift to 2nd using this method as I am coming to a stop, other times if I am just slowing due to traffic then I may paddle down. It can definitely be a “dance” but once you learn its quirks it is fun. :)
I just remembered also that I have the 10 gears to paddle and I believe you would have 6 correct? I probably have a little bit of extra quirk around that, but ultimately your same strategy works on mine as well. Happy someone here with a 10R80 gave me the push needed to get back into using the paddles again, it is a more engaging and satisfying experience recently.
Sponsored