Sponsored

2016 Mustang Differential Oil Change

Ike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I've drained and replaced the oil with 1.6 quarts of 75w85 and 4 oz of XL3 friction modifier, but the oil level is about 15 mm below the oil fill plug. I've read that it should be 9 mm. Should I add additional oil to get to 9 mm, or leave with the quantity specified in the owners manual as I've done?
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I've never heard of the mm rule, just a volume as mentioned.

I always put in enough to just barely leak out of the fill plug which was about 1.7 quarts. You're splitting hairs at this point, if you put in 1.6 quarts then you're fine.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'd always go by the 'dipstick', which in this case is the 9mm... just make sure that's what the service manual says. You probably drained your diff longer than other folks, hence the slightly lower level. I've heard people filling it until fluid drains out, which is typically the way to do it. It's better to have it right on the money, but between 15mm (underfilled) and to the fill plug (overfilled), I'd go with the latter :).

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Make sure the car is level checking the fluid. Some jack up the rear to do this since they don’t have a lift. If the rear is lifted only, the fluid level will read wrong.

blakedanatural

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 Premium
I plan on doing mine this weekend . I have a 2015 Mustang Gt Premium and my question is are you using Motorcraft,Amsoil,Purple or Mobil One? Also the manual says use 75w85 but the Mobil is 75W90 will this harm anything? My Mustang has 85000 miles.

Sponsored

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
You can use BG fluid from opmustang.com and get the kit that gives enough fluid, a pump and the modifier already mixed in.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Of course not, but make sure whatever you use, complies with Ford's spec, especially if still under warranty. And also don't forget about the FM additive needed (if not already mixed in). If you want to use Motorcraft, I'd use the OEM one, plus the little bottle of FM required. Good luck.
Sponsored