2016 Mustang Coupe European Model Aircon Evaporator Problem

Red_Stang_777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shashi
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016
Hello all, I have a 2016 Mustang Coupe, European version with Right Hand Drive. The Air conditioning system has been erratic over the last year and I have topped up the refrigerant a few times already. Everytime it lasted for a lesser duration. The shop suspects that its the evaporator core which is the problem.

Apparently the Evap core for Right Hand Drive and Left Hand Drive cars is different. Can anyone confirm?

Ford UK is selling the whole kit and its bloody expensive. I just want to get the Evap core and replace that only.

1. What are your views and advice?
2. Where can I get a RHD Eu model compatible Evap core?
3. Anyone has got any contacts?

For Info, the car is based in Mauritius.

Kind Regards
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
@Red_Stang_777

The EURO S550 HVAC is going to be different because of the fact that the entire firewall is revised in order to get the steering over to the right side.

Due to that major revision, the HVAC and the plumbing coming out of it will be reverse from the “original” LH drive S550 over here in the US.

If you hit up this thread, it’s the largest discussion regarding the EVAP issues. You will see actual Shop Manual diagrams/images, attached TSB/SSMs and attached PDFs showing the US HVAC repair and construction of the unit.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/a-c-evaporator-factory-defect.62682/

Initially and very early on, Ford was having the Service Centers replace the ENTIRE HVAC unit. Later, Ford released TSB’s that directed the Service Centers to open the HVAC box and just replace the EVAP core. In either instance the entire dash has to be removed - it’s labor intensive.

Even if you have a EURO S550, the info in the TSB’s and the Shop Manual will still apply - but of course with the units and repairs being flipped to accommodate a RH Drive S550.

Your Ford Dealer or an online Ford Parts vendor should be able to get you just the EVAP core - not the entire HVAC unit. The EVAP core will have to be Euro S550 specific because the attached pipes will most likely come out the opposite way from a US spec EVAP core.

Reach out to Levittown Ford on here in the Vendor sub-forum and ask if he can source out or do research for a Euro EVAP core for you (or if he can’t ship overseas, at least provide the part info).

—-

EDIT:
Here’s a Euro S550 thread about Aircon failures - you might want to read through and join that discussion too, they may be able to better direct you:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/aircon-stopped-working.66483/

Last edited:
OP
OP

Red_Stang_777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shashi
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016
Hello Cobra Jet,

Thank you very much for all these details and insight into the issue, this has thrown more light onto the how and why of the European models. I will look into the forums you mentioned now and I will keep posted on what's happening.

So far, I have found an evaporator manufacturer in Thailand that has the EU model evap on their facebook page but I have not been able to get in touch with them yet.

Will keep posted.

Cheers.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
It's a completely different car behind that
dashboard of a RHD. I was amazed.
Sponsored