Sponsored

2016 GT350 burning a quart every 300-400miles

malfere2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT350
Hi guys wanted your feedback on my 2016 GT350. Currently has about 30K, runs great and does not throw any codes. I always make sure the cars oil is warmed up before revving it too high. However it does burn about a quart of oil every 300 to 400 miles. It's a daily driver with a mix of street and freeway. Yes, I occasionally rev it out when entering a freeway but it rarely happens because the car is so fast the stars basically have to align for this to happen, (meaning no cars around it's warmed up and I'm alone in the car so my wife doesn't yell at me).

I've taken this to the dealership a couple of times to do an oil consumption test. Initially was burning about a quart every 500 miles (when car had about 15K). Which dealership said was normal and to let them know if it gets worse. Well its gotten worse and they are telling me its normal again at a quart every 350miles. Powertrain warranty will be expiring soon so really nervous. Love this car and would like to keep it just want to know your guys thoughts.
Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Hi guys wanted your feedback on my 2016 GT350. Currently has about 30K, runs great and does not throw any codes. I always make sure the cars oil is warmed up before revving it too high. However it does burn about a quart of oil every 300 to 400 miles. It's a daily driver with a mix of street and freeway. Yes, I occasionally rev it out when entering a freeway but it rarely happens because the car is so fast the stars basically have to align for this to happen, (meaning no cars around it's warmed up and I'm alone in the car so my wife doesn't yell at me).

I've taken this to the dealership a couple of times to do an oil consumption test. Initially was burning about a quart every 500 miles (when car had about 15K). Which dealership said was normal and to let them know if it gets worse. Well its gotten worse and they are telling me its normal again at a quart every 350miles. Powertrain warranty will be expiring soon so really nervous. Love this car and would like to keep it just want to know your guys thoughts.
That’s not normal. Doesn’t it say in the gt350 supplement up to 500 miles/quart is considered acceptable consumption? If so, maybe show that to the dealer. . . maybe escalate by a call to Ford corporate...?

Im sure someone on the forum has had this same identical circumstance happen and can offer advice.

Can you take it to a different Ford dealer?

Have you considered purchasing an extended warranty on the powertrain through Ford (which needs to be done before your current one expires?)

Best of luck!

OP
OP

malfere2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT350
That’s not normal. Doesn’t it say in the gt350 supplement up to 500 miles/quart is considered acceptable consumption? If so, maybe show that to the dealer. . . maybe escalate by a call to Ford corporate...?

Im sure someone on the forum has had this same identical circumstance happen and can offer advice.

Can you take it to a different Ford dealer?

Have you considered purchasing an extended warranty on the powertrain through Ford (which needs to be done before your current one expires?)

Best of luck!

Yes, I did actually escalate to Ford corporate so they gave me a case ID. It's currently in the dealership so not sure what will happen next. They are still diagnosing the issue and they cant seem to figure out the reason for the high oil consumption. Maybe you are right and I should have taken to another dealership to get a second opinion.

HEP#15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition L0015
Agree not normal. I found the following searching the forum:

I bought my 2017 GT350R used in November 2018 with 3,500 miles on it. I noticed a lot of soot on the tailpipes and it always blew an excessive amount of black soot on cold starts. I started monitoring oil consumption at 4,000 miles. When it was burning about 1qt every 350-400 miles I immediately took it to my local dealer and started the "official" oil consumption test. After three 500-mile oil consumption tests it was burning 1qt every 150 miles, that's when Ford approved an engine replacement. Funny thing was there was no signs of oil leaks, and oil pressure and temp where normal. During engine replacement I had the dealer check the cats, and surprisingly they were totally fine. 500 miles since replacement and the new engine is running great. I check the oil after every drive (25 - 75 per trip) and oil level is perfect.

Also agree to strongly consider a Ford ESP extended warranty if you are going to keep the car. Once the original warranty has expired you can't get a Ford ESP. There's 2-3 places to buy these that are recommended on the forum - floodfordesp.com and https://andersonandkoch-ford-warranty.com for example.

HEP#15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition L0015
BTW the cutoff for at least one of these 2 options is 41 months of ownership which you are either coming up on or past. A $0 deductible for the best plan is between $2500 and $3000 to extend the warranty to 8 years and 48K or 60K miles.

Sponsored

OP
OP

malfere2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT350
BTW the cutoff for at least one of these 2 options is 41 months of ownership which you are either coming up on or past. A $0 deductible for the best plan is between $2500 and $3000 to extend the warranty to 8 years and 48K or 60K miles.
Thanks, I'll have to look into this and see. Hopefully I did not miss.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Can you ev
Thanks for posting that.
I assumed you couldn’t get an extended power train warranty past 36months even though the PT warranty is 60months.

OP
OP

malfere2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT350
They probably fudged the numbers at 500mi/qt just hoping you wouldn’t push it...anything less is new motor time. Go get your new voodoo!
What’s the incentive for the dealership to not fix the issue? Wouldn’t they make money fixing it through warranty?

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
What’s the incentive for the dealership to not fix the issue? Wouldn’t they make money fixing it through warranty?
I’m not sure what it is now, but when my dad used to work on tigershark jet skis, the company would always short them on time it took to do a job. So you might’ve got paid your hourly rate, but it took you 5hrs to do and they only paid 3. I may be way off as to why it’s like that now...they could just be lazy for all i know. I can just tell ya i got resistance with both warranty items on my 350...but just my personal experience with a poor service department.

Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
The warranty labor rate at which Ford reimburses the dealership is lower than the regular retail labor rate. From what my Ford tech friend told me, the book hours on a repair remain the same, it’s just that Ford reimburses at something like 80% of retail. So... if your Ford dealer has a busy maintenance shop, it’s possible they generally don’t like to take on large warranty claims where a (your) car will take up bay space for an undetermined amount of time and get them paid less than someone who’s out of warranty. Maybe they figured if you didn’t like the answer they gave you for the oil consumption test that you’d take it somewhere else.

Now that Ford’s involved, hopefully you won’t have any issues getting a new engine.

OP
OP

malfere2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT350
I’m not sure what it is now, but when my dad used to work on tigershark jet skis, the company would always short them on time it took to do a job. So you might’ve got paid your hourly rate, but it took you 5hrs to do and they only paid 3. I may be way off as to why it’s like that now...they could just be lazy for all i know. I can just tell ya i got resistance with both warranty items on my 350...but just my personal experience with a poor service department.
Wow, that’s disappointing to hear. Thats the unintended consequence for Ford paying a lower warranty rate. I can say their shop is always busy so I can see why they would not want this car in their shop. Maybe I should have taken this car elsewhere. Thanks and I appreciate the insight.

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350

Do you mind sharing at what mileage after the initial test did the care start burning a quart every 350 miles?

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
The warranty labor rate at which Ford reimburses the dealership is lower than the regular retail labor rate. From what my Ford tech friend told me, the book hours on a repair remain the same, it’s just that Ford reimburses at something like 80% of retail. So... if your Ford dealer has a busy maintenance shop, it’s possible they generally don’t like to take on large warranty claims where a (your) car will take up bay space for an undetermined amount of time and get them paid less than someone who’s out of warranty. Maybe they figured if you didn’t like the answer they gave you for the oil consumption test that you’d take it somewhere else.

Now that Ford’s involved, hopefully you won’t have any issues getting a new engine.
This is not totally accurate. There are many factors that go into what a dealership gets paid on warranty.
Sponsored