Sponsored

2016 differential (3.15) at dealership for rebuild

gov cheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 051A Guard
. Started as a scrapping sound 35-50 mph from the rear of the car. Seemed a little louder in slight turns and would almost go away when driving straight. Thought it might be a wheel bearing. But one of the rear axle seals let go at just over 60k miles. Weird thing is not one drop of gear oil on my garage floor. Guessing it let go on my commute (70 miles round trip) to work and by the time i got home there was nothing left to leak on the floor.

Luckily i have a ford ESP that i hope will cover the repairs.
Sponsored

Decosse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver Cyclone 051a 3.55
Good luck with it! I'd hope they'd cover you. Following, have almost the same car (mine is 3.55), and extended warranty.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
Rebuild ? I would of though a new diff would be cheaper ( with labor factored in )

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Maybe an opportunity to get a 3.55 Torsen?

OP
OP

gov cheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 051A Guard
Rebuild ? I would of though a new diff would be cheaper ( with labor factored in )
Dealership has to follow Ford ESP rules. I asked about getting a new diff but ford mother-ship said rebuild if i want it covered by warranty. Dealership had to send pictures of the damage before Ford ESP would approve the work.

If even ask about covering the difference in price new 3.55 vs rebuild. Answers was all or nothing. Rebuild what is on the car by warranty or out of pocket new diff and pay for install.

Sponsored

OP
OP

gov cheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 051A Guard
Diff was rebuild under ford ESP warranty just had to pay my $50 deductible . The passenger side axle seal was the cause. There must have been something wrong with it to fail at only 65k miles.

OP
OP

gov cheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 051A Guard
UPDATE: Before the rebuild --- When throwing the car into a hard left turn it felt like the drivers seat was moving 1/8 to 1/4 inch to the right. After the rebuild no longer feel that movement. So, thinking this movement was really the axle moving in the differential causing the seal to fail.
Sponsored