Sponsored

2016 Cobra Jet Mustang Unveiled

danny0441

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt DIB
cool seems like a novelty item though, correct me if im wrong but half the fun of drag racing is building a car up and fighting for lower times. with this i feel the work is done for you and all you gotta do is get it to the track. btw is this thing road legal? i doubt it is but if it is and insurable i can see someone getting more use and fun out of it. definitely nice to have something like this though. kind of well like you have a camaro well we got a hulk lol.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
cool seems like a novelty item though, correct me if im wrong but half the fun of drag racing is building a car up and fighting for lower times. with this i feel the work is done for you and all you gotta do is get it to the track. btw is this thing road legal? i doubt it is but if it is and insurable i can see someone getting more use and fun out of it. definitely nice to have something like this though. kind of well like you have a camaro well we got a hulk lol.

This is a competition racecar. It isn't a novelty for some Joe Blow to buy and stick in his garage. There are NHRA race teams that compete in championships with Cobra Jet racecars.

yo ken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I race Cobra jets, and like Grimace427 said, there are some that just buy them and then park them, but most will see competition in NHRA Stock and Super Stock classes. These cars are fast right from Ford, but most all of them are torn apart and redone to be more competitive. Its takes a lot of money, but the racers that own these car are very serious about racing.

I attached some photos of the cars I own and drive. The 2014 orange black one I'm partners with, and is 429 N/A combo. The 08 CJ is a 5.4 Super Charged combo, the Shelby is a 428 Combo, these two are mine. I am teamed up with Bongiovanni Racing. They currently campaign 5 Cobra Jets and are building a 2016 for next season.

I know some here don't think much of the CJ's because they can not be title, but Ford is very committed to grass roots racing and to the Stock and Super Stock classes in NHRA. We now have the big three building purpose built race cars for drag racing, all because Ford back in 2007 decide to get back into factory race cars. Brian Wolf who was the head of Ford Racing at the time was instrumental in getting Ford to build these cars as is Jesse Kershaw manager of drag racing parts and competition.

Its a big deal for us racers, but its more than just about the race cars. It offers the average owner upgraded parts that are proven on the track.

I thought I would show these photos to show how committed racers are, and this is just one team, they are many more competing today.
IMG_1958.JPG
cj10.jpg
1440-00451.JPG
Bongiovanni_Racing2.jpg

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Indeed, if you haven't experienced the Cobra Jet in action, you've missed out.

I was fortunate enough to attend the Cobra Jet Showdown at Summit Raceway, Norwalk, this year :headbang:

Yours truly :D

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
I race Cobra jets, and like Grimace427 said, there are some that just buy them and then park them, but most will see competition in NHRA Stock and Super Stock classes. These cars are fast right from Ford, but most all of them are torn apart and redone to be more competitive. Its takes a lot of money, but the racers that own these car are very serious about racing.

I attached some photos of the cars I own and drive. The 2014 orange black one I'm partners with, and is 429 N/A combo. The 08 CJ is a 5.4 Super Charged combo, the Shelby is a 428 Combo, these two are mine. I am teamed up with Bongiovanni Racing. They currently campaign 5 Cobra Jets and are building a 2016 for next season.

I know some here don't think much of the CJ's because they can not be title, but Ford is very committed to grass roots racing and to the Stock and Super Stock classes in NHRA. We now have the big three building purpose built race cars for drag racing, all because Ford back in 2007 decide to get back into factory race cars. Brian Wolf who was the head of Ford Racing at the time was instrumental in getting Ford to build these cars as is Jesse Kershaw manager of drag racing parts and competition.

Its a big deal for us racers, but its more than just about the race cars. It offers the average owner upgraded parts that are proven on the track.

I thought I would show these photos to show how committed racers are, and this is just one team, they are many more competing today.

Is that 429 a Kasse Boss9? Stroked 6.2? Or old school 429?

danny0441

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt DIB
goddamn :eyebulge: didint know it went that far thats pretty cool

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Would I be a poser if I put the Cobra Jet decals on the side of my GT? :lol:

Yea, that would look pretty silly sitting in the grocery store parking lot. :headbonk:

uglygun

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 289 2v, 95 Cobra, 05 GT, 15 GT Perf Pack

That is a lot of money sitting around and being raced.

Pretty damn cool to see and kinda irritatingly envious that others are having more fun than me(like Clarkson/Hammond/May being my heros and me hating that they have my dream job).

Sponsored

yo ken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Is that 429 a Kasse Boss9? Stroked 6.2? Or old school 429?
Its a 351 Windsor base block that you get from Ford Performance. The engine is stroked and bored to 429. Ford Racing also has a 428 combo. The 429 use a D3 nascar head from the FP catalog and the 428 uses the more conventional in line aluminum head. The 429 makes about 900hp at the crank.

The 429 is only available as individual parts and was created to run against the 427 COPO Camaro's. I could go on all day, NHRA has a great heads up class for these new cars to compete in. There are two classes, Supercharged and N/A. If any one is interested you can check out this video.

[ame]
IMG_20140826_122918_530.jpg

Last edited:

chuckty101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Shadow Black
World's fastest NHRA Super Stocker is a Ford Mustang.

[ame]

fordsvtparts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang parts!
I'm really glad a few racers chimed in and posted the info :clap2: Awesome pics as well!! A few of these posts explained perfectly to why people spend 100K for a car that doesn't have a title.

The coolest part? You can go to the local dealer and buy a 100% legit race car, turn key ready. Hopefully they'll be coming out with the road race versions as well next year.

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring