Sponsored

2016 Cobra Jet Mustang Unveiled

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
It's like you forget the Cobra Jet has been around since 1968. It isn't a code name for future models, it's a public racing program sponsored by Ford directly.
I know... It's only what people are talking about. It's surely not set in stone...

Did you know???

After 1968, the GT500 started coming equipped with the new Cobra Jet engine? Shortly after that, the GT500KR made its debut... using the 428 Cobra Jet...

The GT500 and Cobra Jet have a rich history together... I imagine many at Ford remember the relationship and may be moving to reunite the two names.

It's almost exactly what's happening today...

The Cobra Jet Program was a Drag Racing Program in 1967. After the Cobra Jet was released, the GT500 adopted the Cobra Jet in 1968, also becoming the KR too...

History will probably repeat itself...
Sponsored

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
.....what. i must look into this. Id weekend warrior the piss out of one of these. Id remove all the cj stickers :ninja:
Now that photobucket is alive again.... (EDIT: Noticing plates, he was not from SC)

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I know... It's only what people are talking about. It's surely not set in stone...

Did you know???

After 1968, the GT500 started coming equipped with the new Cobra Jet engine? Shortly after that, the GT500KR made its debut... using the 428 Cobra Jet...

The GT500 and Cobra Jet have a rich history together... I imagine many at Ford remember the relationship and may be moving to reunite the two names.

Today the Cobra Jet is an entire program, not just an engine option anymore.

It's almost exactly what's happening today...

The Cobra Jet Program was a Drag Racing Program in 1967. After the Cobra Jet was released, the GT500 adopted the Cobra Jet in 1968, also becoming the KR too...

History will probably repeat itself...

The GT500 got the 428 Police Interceptor engine before the CJ(which was the PI engine with 427 heads and other changes).

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
The GT500 got the 428 Police Interceptor engine before the CJ(which was the PI engine with 427 heads and other changes).

There is a possibility they could keep them separate. It would just continue as it once did...

But, I have a feeling they will use the Drag Racing Program to showcase their Forced Induction Engines. There is also a possibility that they will double up on marketing. The GT500 hasn't had a platform in which to showcase/advertise... usually left up to the magazines and YouTube.

It is an intelligent strategy for a vehicle such as this. Motorsport is one of the few places impracticality sells...

There is a possibility the GT500 gets a push in some hardcore GT classes but... at 4000lbs... what can you do?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Its really not that hard. "Expensive " is subjective. Ive done both. Parts dont generally break if you didnt use junk.
Riiight. That's why many top fuel engines are rebuilt after EVERY PASS. Because they are using junk parts that break. :crazy:

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
There is a possibility they could keep them separate. It would just continue as it once did...

But, I have a feeling they will use the Drag Racing Program to showcase their Forced Induction Engines. There is also a possibility that they will double up on marketing. The GT500 hasn't had a platform in which to showcase/advertise... usually left up to the magazines and YouTube.

It is an intelligent strategy for a vehicle such as this. Motorsport is one of the few places impracticality sells...

There is a possibility the GT500 gets a push in some hardcore GT classes but... at 4000lbs... what can you do?

So your realistic hope is the next GT500 runs the CJ engine?

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I guess I don't really have a wish in this topic...

I do want to know the future of the Drag Program and would like to see a production model homologated somewhat from this sport. Drag racing is an important part of Mustang heritage.

However, the "Cobra Jet" nameplate is a slice of that heritage too... I think the best way to retain these precious Mustang nameplates is to somehow merge them together. The Cobra Jet was both an Engine Program and a Special Model. The GT500 was kind of an internal rival to the Cobra Jet (as was the GT350 and Boss 302). History shows the two were somewhat merged together then...

Once I had heard of the Turbo/Twin Turbo rumor, it made some sense. A Cobra Jet and Super Cobra Jet is far better than Ecoboost...

I think the Drag Racing Program should always involve the "Cobra Jet" nameplate. However, as the GT500 approaches, I believe Ford will find a home for at least the engine technology... Forced Induction that is...

No better time to repeat history, merge the Cobra Jet engine (whatever it evolves to be) with the production GT500 likeness... The whole "King of the Road" angle will most likely be talking about the 1/4, stop light and roll racing.

I guess what I really want is a Forced Induction Engine Program that uses the "Cobra Jet" moniker so the heritage lives on. I also want the GT500 to take measures to not be so impractical. Not in just function but profitability as well. Any Mustang that is directly related to a Motorsport Program instantly gains... The exposure is increased for sure and a reputation follows. I think the Drag racing market is exactly where both a GT500 and an Ecoboost V8 (now Cobra Jet/Super Cobra Jet) should be aimed at.

It's two birds with one stone and again, you are ringing the heritage bell with GT500, Cobra Jet, Super Cobra Jet, Forced Induction and the merger of the 3. It could bring great credit to the GT500 and the Cobra Jet Program in one swoop.

The only time in history the GT500 used two different engines is when the 428 was offered in the 1968 GT500 and the GT500KR used a 427...

Could a dual engine option happen again?!?!?

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Just FYI:

The early 1968 GT500's used the 428 Police Intercepter Engine...

In April 1968 (I believe in April 1st, no kidding), ALL GT500's received the 428 Cobra Jet Engine from the factory.

So, just having some fun with History...

I am hoping the first S550 GT500 is released in 2017 with an EPA friendly version of THIS 2016 Supercharged Cobra Jet Engine. I am hoping both the GT500 and Cobra Jet Programs are merged on April 1st 2018... In which the Drag Racing Program then moves to an Ecoboost V8 and a Dual Ecoboost V8 called the Cobra Jet and Super Cobra Jet Engines... the GT500 will then be offered with one of these engines, thus spawning a 2018 GT500 and GT500KR.

So, not the exact way it happened in 1968 BUT, it would be exciting for sure...

(ALL SPECULATION EXCEPT THE STUFF FROM 1968)

Sponsored

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
The Cobra Jet engine is made up of 75 percent production Mustang GT components topped by a front inlet Whipple supercharger; as delivered, it’s capable of eight-second quarter-mile times.
So I'm guessing that the CJ car is getting the Supercharged 5.0 Coyote and not the 5.2 Voodoo? I didn't see which engine in the original post.

Just FYI:

The early 1968 GT500's used the 428 Police Intercepter Engine...

In April 1968 (I believe in April 1st, no kidding), ALL GT500's received the 428 Cobra Jet Engine from the factory.

So, just having some fun with History...

I am hoping the first S550 GT500 is released in 2017 with an EPA friendly version of THIS 2016 Supercharged Cobra Jet Engine. I am hoping both the GT500 and Cobra Jet Programs are merged on April 1st 2018... In which the Drag Racing Program then moves to an Ecoboost V8 and a Dual Ecoboost V8 called the Cobra Jet and Super Cobra Jet Engines... the GT500 will then be offered with one of these engines, thus spawning a 2018 GT500 and GT500KR.

So, not the exact way it happened in 1968 BUT, it would be exciting for sure...

(ALL SPECULATION EXCEPT THE STUFF FROM 1968)
I had a former coworker (now retired) that had one of the very rare '68 428CJ coupes. He bought it new off the dealers lot, drove is a couple of years and then traded it on a used '67 'vette that one of his Captains (in the Navy) traded in. He still has the 'vette to this day. And I have his original grill pony from the '68 CJ sitting right here with me at work on my shelf above my desk.
He use to tell me stories of going to the drag strip to watch Tasca Ford's team race the new 428CJ and how he let them borrow the starter off his car during the race one time when thier's crapped it's pants between runs. He showed up the next Monday, got a new starter and a full service tune up at no charge.

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197

Topnotch

Threads