Sponsored

2015 vs 2016 Exhaust Sound differences

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I drive a 2015 GT and my brother recently picked up a 2016 GT. Both cars are premium, non-PP. The other day we were cruising and noticed his exhaust sounds a little louder and crisper. I had a video recorded, but deleted it by accident. Looking under his car, it appears to be OEM exhaust.

Does anyone know if Ford switched out the mufflers/resonator after 2015?
Sponsored

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
No, 15-17' have the exact same exhaust. The tone and volume of the stock exhaust changes slightly after 5-10k miles, maybe that's what you're hearing? Or he could have secretely put in an H or X-pipe.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
No, 15-17' have the exact same exhaust. The tone and volume of the stock exhaust changes slightly after 5-10k miles, maybe that's what you're hearing? Or he could have secretely put in an H or X-pipe.
+1 most likely X/H pipe

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Exact same exhaust.

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
They're exactly the same. Go start two identical cars on a dealer lot and a tuned ear will often be able to tell a slight difference in exhaust note.

True story......A good friend of mine took me with him to buy a new ws6 new in 2002. The dealer had a white car and two pewter cars that were optioned almost identically and he couldnt decide which one he wanted. We started all three and both of us agreed that one pewter car sounded notably healthier than the other two, so he bought that one.

Sponsored

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I think the fuel trims also affect the exhaust note a bit. Subtle mind you.

OP
OP
sonicc

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
No mods to the exhaust, no x or h-pipe. We looked under the car to try and find any obvious differences.

His car has 6500 miles, I'm at 20,000.

If it's all the same parts, then I guess it's possible that his exhaust isn't "broken" in yet, but at the same time I don't remember mine sounding like that

pxdenial

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550
I worked for the company who actually builds these exhausts. They're exactly the same man. Faurecia in Franklin, Ohio builds these.

OP
OP
sonicc

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I worked for the company who actually builds these exhausts. They're exactly the same man. Faurecia in Franklin, Ohio builds these.
It makes sense that they would be the same. What didn't make sense is why they sound so much different.

I will try to get another video this week.
Sponsored