2015 V6 Auto DIY transmission oil & filter change

1004ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 , 2017 Ford Edge Sport
We purchased a 2015 V6 for my wife with 50K miles on the clock.

I changed out some/most of the transmission fluid and the filter.

Got the car on 4 jack stand and left the jack on the side I was climbing under for backup.

Used the oil extractor to draw out most of the oil in the pan before dropping it, which made a lot less mess - the oil did not smell bad but was quite brown.

Installed the new filter and tightened the pan up, added 5 quarts of Mercon LV using my purpose bought garden sprayer, started the engine and cycled through the gears for a few minutes.
Didn't use the new gasket, but had it on hand just in case.

Extracted about 4 quarts which looked only slightly brown, and added 4 quarts, cycled through the gears, extracted another 4 quarts and added 4 quarts bring it up to the top of the cold hash marks on the dipstick, cycled through the gears for the last time and dipstick still showing good.
The oil on the dipstick looked new by now.

Just over 11 quarts used.

Thought of detaching one of the cooler quick-connects, but they're right up front and would make one helluva mess, so cancelled that idea.

Transmission was running smooth, but had no idea how hard the previous owner drove it, so this will give me peace of mind.
Update: After about 100 miles both my wife and I find the pull off from stationary is definitely smoother.

I'm guessing that this was the first transmission change, but finding an extra magnet in the pan made me think its been done before - the second magnet had worn a groove into the filter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X4AXGCC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0080B4S0E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UCGE84/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
IMG_2857.JPG
IMG_2852.JPG
IMG_2860.JPG
IMG_2853.JPG
IMG_2854.JPG
Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Same auto trans for all 3 engines, right?
Thanks for the write up.
My F250 has a drain bolt that makes fluid R&R a cinch.
Both locations for the magnets seem odd, I would have thought one would be at the lowest point.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Generally, it's way easier to use the front cooler hose disconnect than other methods, and you're usually able to get more of the old fluid out. It's also super easy to remove the entire front bumper (less than 20 minutes). I have a MT, but back in the days when I drove an AT (albeit, FWD), this is what I'd do:

Jack up vehicle
Remove front bumper
Extract fluid
Drop pan
Replace filter/clean pan and magnet
Replace pan
Fill with new fluid
Disconnect cooler hose and place in bucket
Start car and allow internal pump to push old fluid out of torque converter and cooling lines
Turn car off
Fill with new fluid
Start car again and wait until fresh fluid comes from the cooler
Reconnect cooler hose
Fill with fluid
Replace front bumper
Start car and check levels/adjust fluid
Test drive

JR

adair727

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I'm guessing that this was the first transmission change, but finding an extra magnet in the pan made me think its been done before - the second magnet had worn a groove into the filter.
I just did a fluid and filter change on my 2016 with a 6R80 and it also had a second magnet in the pan, so I assume they all come that way.

Sponsored

OP
OP
1004ron

1004ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
I just did a fluid and filter change on my 2016 with a 6R80 and it also had a second magnet in the pan, so I assume they all come that way.
I did not go back with the second magnet because of the deep wear mark on the filter.

superdave592

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 v6 3.55
I did not go back with the second magnet because of the deep wear mark on the filter.
I am doing transmission fluid and filter change on my 2015 V6 now. Yes wear mark on the filter by the side magnet putting unnecessary metal inside. That side magnet help hold the filter up ?
1004ron did you check trans hot running with that small dipstick ? On you tube I have seen other 6r80 trans use 6-7 quarts on refill . My mustang on jack stands and jack rails not real happy
with the idea on going under the car running. Is the reading on the dip stick that critical ?

OP
OP
1004ron

1004ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
I am doing transmission fluid and filter change on my 2015 V6 now. Yes wear mark on the filter by the side magnet putting unnecessary metal inside. That side magnet help hold the filter up ?
1004ron did you check trans hot running with that small dipstick ? On you tube I have seen other 6r80 trans use 6-7 quarts on refill . My mustang on jack stands and jack rails not real happy
with the idea on going under the car running. Is the reading on the dip stick that critical ?
I wasn't going to take the chance of the second magnet causing issues so left it off - most literature I could find on this model transmission did not show the second magnet.

I used the method described in this PDF to check level- didn't take it for a drive, but with it on the jack stands, parking/E brake on, cycled through the gears and let it run for a while to warm up, and then with it idling in Park I climbed under the car to check the level.

Don't think that you can be sure how much remained in the torque converter after dropping the pan - I felt more confident doing the level check.

As you'll see in this video, I left it on the low side of the hash marks to compensate for it not being at full operating temperature.

Last edited:

superdave592

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 v6 3.55
I wasn't going to take the chance of the second magnet causing issues so left it off - most literature I could find on this model transmission did not show the second magnet.

I used the method described in this PDF to check level- didn't take it for a drive, but with it on the jack stands, parking/E brake on, cycled through the gears and let it run for a while to warm up, and then with it idling in Park I climbed under the car to check the level.

Don't think that you can be sure how much remained in the torque converter after dropping the pan - I felt more confident doing the level check.

As you'll see in this video, I left it on the low side of the hash marks to compensate for it not being at full operating temperature.

Thank You Sir
Sponsored