Sponsored

2015 Mustang V6 Exhaust Sound Clip Thread

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
I’m still debating on my exhaust. I want a mellow yet throaty sound so I’m thinking Roush exhaust with an h-pipe , shorty Headers and a CAI. I hear the H-Pipe kills the drone and makes a deeper sound. Is this true?
No, not really true. Listen to my clip above. That's an x-pipe muffler.
Sponsored

PorscheHusky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang, 1974 260Z
Best I can do. Cell phone recording so use headphones. This is my old setup (x-pipe Muffler). My new setup as described above sounds almost exactly like this one only better now. It's a cleaner throatier tone then above (less muffled) and it is a bit louder, but still almost zero drone.

That does sound nice! Doesn't sound like it'd be raspy ither!

And this is what the magnaflow resonated X sounds like? Makes me wonder how your new setup sounds...

So a real x section immediately followed up by resonators will tame or eliminate drone?

I should be clear; I guess I don't care if it drones if it's above 2k RPM. I still have the OE final drive and don't have any desire to change that. So my 70-85ish avg. cruising is right at 2k RPM or less

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
That does sound nice! Doesn't sound like it'd be raspy ither!

And this is what the magnaflow resonated X sounds like? Makes me wonder how your new setup sounds...

So a real x section immediately followed up by resonators will tame or eliminate drone?

I should be clear; I guess I don't care if it drones if it's above 2k RPM. I still have the OE final drive and don't have any desire to change that. So my 70-85ish avg. cruising is right at 2k RPM or less
You have to remember I have J-pipes too. Those play a large part in killing drone which is why I upgraded off the tru-x style...also another part cause I'm prepping for my turbo kit. The sound with my setup is super clean. No rasp either. Literally none. Using the tru-x or x-pipe into bullet mufflers will sound almost identical. The bullet mufflers are louder and I do get some popping action on decel unlike before which is nice. IMO, you will love the setup either way. Here is a pic of what mine looks like in the middle section (eBay XPipe and Bullet style mufflers). This isn't my car though this guy went the extra mile and deleted cats and adding resonators in place of cats (best sounding exhaust on our cars NA by a mile...but loud and droney).

FB_IMG_1541255960655.jpg

AngryPopTart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6

BBK shorty headers, Roush h-pipe that's also paired with borla s-type exhaust.

Last edited:

eperks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V6 2016
Looking for any help. I have a 2016 Mustang V6 and just had my Roush Axle backs and a flowmaster x pipe installed at a shop. I had a second mechanic verify that the bolt ons are tight, but I’m getting a weird rattling sound/vibration on cold starts/idling. I have some pretty bad drone on the highway which I don’t mind, but I have a weird vibration noise on idle. It sounds great when I gas it, any suggestion? I’m going to take a second look at the hangers tomorrow

Sponsored

PorscheHusky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang, 1974 260Z
Uh... To everyone running the shorty headers out there; this looks like a problem... Or is that shoulder supposed to sink into the head. Because if not then there's going to be clearence issues..
20210518_210334.jpg

Can anyone chime in on this? What was your experience installing these?

DeepImpactS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Does anyone have an H or X pipe with SLP Loudmouth II mufflers? Wondering if there is any drone with that set up on a V6. It looks like it doesn’t on the 5.0, but that doesn’t mean it won’t on the 3.7. I currently have a 15-17 GT oem exhaust w Steeda H pipe and it’s still a bit tame for me.
I've had the LM2's for a few years. I just ordered a Flowmaster Scavenger-X, and will be getting it installed next week. There is definitely Drone with the Axle-Backs alone, but im staying positive for a cleaner sound with the x-pipe.

biakke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Vehicle(s)
2015 3.7l Mustang
has anyone kept the stock resonantors and added a x or h pipe on an s550? currently have the Roush AB and BBK Shorties, I love the rumble but I want it to be a little louder. Problem is I dont want to make the car sound raspy in the higher rpm range by replacing the resonantor with a midpipe so im thinking keeping it on after an H pipe may be a solution?

dr4k0z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang v6 s550
has anyone kept the stock resonantors and added a x or h pipe on an s550? currently have the Roush AB and BBK Shorties, I love the rumble but I want it to be a little louder. Problem is I dont want to make the car sound raspy in the higher rpm range by replacing the resonantor with a midpipe so im thinking keeping it on after an H pipe may be a solution?
You can try to replace the stock resonator with max flow muffler. It will reduce raspiness and interior sound as well. I'm going to do the following setup:

X-Pipe -> max flow mufflers (right after the x pipe) -> muffler delete -> quad tips.

Cafasco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
The stock center resonator is a resonated H pipe. To get more deep sound, replace the resonator with an H pipe, but it will be a bit louder and may drone a bit more. Adding an H pipe to what you currently have will likely do nothing.

Sponsored

Cafasco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
If you replace the oem resonator (H pipe in front of it) you’d likely need an x or an H. H is deeper tone. I would think the billet resonators after an H pipe would work better than a magnaflow x muffler. But you may not find much of an improvement over the current set up.

The only mufflers that reliably eliminate drone are the Borla mufflers from what I’ve read. The V6 is a drone monster so it’s really hard to get good sound w/o drone.

That said, you might want to find a 15-18 GT OEM exhaust, replace the resonator with an aftermarket GR H pipe. No drone, sounds great at start up, sounds great when you get on it (like a performance V8), and is pretty quiet cruising. That’s what I have.

If I do anything I’d add Borla S type GT axle back mufflers. Id like it to be a little louder cursing and have the option to put the OEM GT resonator back in if that ends up being too loud.

prototipo20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guillermo
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang V6
Hi everyone,

Wanted to share this setup, at the moment of the video car had the following:

- Flowmaster super 10 in place of the mid muffler
- Akrapovic glass pack style resonators and tips

PorscheHusky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang, 1974 260Z
I installed SVE Axle-backs on a completely stock 2016 V6 automatic. The install was easy and they look great, but I want to tame the drone between 1700 - 2100 RPM.

I went with option number 1 to reduce the drone:
  1. Replace the factory resonator/suitcase with a Magnaflow muffler with an internal x-pipe (MF #11385)
The drone and overall sound of the exhaust has been decreased, but the drone is still too high for my liking.

Any further suggestions to reduce the drone will be much appreciated.

20210831_150000.jpg

20210831_150117.jpg
I suggest you start researching Helmholtz Resonance. That's going to be the most effective way to drastically limit the drone. The issue there becomes space because you'll want to put them as close to your seated position in the car as possible for maximum effect.
You'll want to tune its length to what ever RPM range you drive in the most.

Imoh, the drone isn't that bad. If I don't want to hear drone, I crank Spotify. Vol13 and higher @ 65MPH+ with speed control enabled and I can't even hear drone.

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I believe the "drone" from my Rousch axle backs diminished significantly after a while. Say a year.

Cafasco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Wow that’s a long time. Maybe you just got used to it? 😁

I recently installed Borla GT S Type Axle backs on my butchered GT exhaust w GT H Pipe. There is no drone. It’s plenty loud. It maybe a bit louder than I am looking for, so I may put the oem GT resonator back in place.

It sounds great at startup and at either real low rpm w little on the gas, or at high rpm. It sounds like a V6 between 1400 and 2100 rpm. Well, it’s a V6 so it is what it is. Other than that it’s hard to tell it’s a V6.
Sponsored