2015 Mustang V6 Exhaust Sound Clip Thread

Baso

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bassem
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 2016 Mustang V6
Sorry, yeah I think it was addressed but by the GT OEM exhaust I meant the GT 2.5" catback. And yeah, you're right... Now that I think of it there's not much left. Just a portion of the piping -- call it mid-pipe -- going from the x-pipe to the axle-back mufflers. Everything I have is cut and clamp, and, as far as I'm concerned my x-pipe is 2.5" all around. I know Flomaster makes a 2.25" x-pipe specifically for the V6, which might be where some confusion lies.

Also, yes, I'm on factory manifolds. The headers, even the cheaper eBay ones don't seem to be worth the installation pain IMO given what seems to be any negligible gains they provide.

Shorty headers give minimal to no gain but I can guarantee you the car will sound completely different if you ever decide to go that route. If you're looking purely for performance then obviously long tubes would be the better choice.
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
The headers, even the cheaper eBay ones don't seem to be worth the installation pain IMO given what seems to be any negligible gains they provide.
Not quite as drastic as Baso said in my experience, but I sum it up as: sound gains (shorties) vs power gains (longtubes).

Getting rid of my cats made a noticeable difference in power but I can't comment on the sound change from that alone because I knew it would be too loud and raspy so I had the Tru-X welded in at the same time.

Baso

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bassem
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 2016 Mustang V6
So a friend wanted to story some clips of my car's exhaust on his Instagram, figured I'd post them here since they turned out pretty nice, despite him getting all excited on video. He's just returned from the UK and has never been in my car so forgive him for that. Also sorry for vertical filming.

MarkDMKC1974

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT in Shadow Black
[ame]

Some more parking lot revs of mine, didn't realize I never came back and posted one after getting the Steeda x-pipe in.

For those that didn't see it, this was the before the x-pipe:

[ame]

Seems like it might have been deeper before, can't be certain I had the camera the same distance away each time. I do know that it is louder now than it was before. Still haven't heard it from outside the car myself either way.
Yeah I have been looking hard at the Borla Touring with BBK Long headers and BBK H pipe catted mid. I really want that deep sound and no drone at all, thats the only thing that really annoys me about my car, the drone is horrible.

Rocketboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush RS Magnetic Metallic
Just had a 3:55 rear differential installed on my 2015 auto old diff was 3:15. Always had a drone at cruising speeds just felt like the engine was at too low of a rpm range. Have the Roush axel backs. After the 3:55 installed my drone went away and now much happier. But curious if anyone removed the resonator (suitcase) and installed 2 separate resonators to keep the exhaust left and right side separate? I was wanting to stay away from the x and h pipes.
Allot of pages here. Hope I did not miss it if someone already has.
Thanks

Sponsored

Baso

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bassem
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 2016 Mustang V6
Just had a 3:55 rear differential installed on my 2015 auto old diff was 3:15. Always had a drone at cruising speeds just felt like the engine was at too low of a rpm range. Have the Roush axel backs. After the 3:55 installed my drone went away and now much happier. But curious if anyone removed the resonator (suitcase) and installed 2 separate resonators to keep the exhaust left and right side separate? I was wanting to stay away from the x and h pipes.
Thanks
Having two separate resonators would imply you're shooting for a s197 factory setup so I would assume sound would be louder than with the suitcase, but not res delete levels of loud. Also, not that it's anything related to this thread, but what are all the parts you needed to swap out to 3:55? I know you need a new Trac-lok diff (cheaper option) other than the gear and pinion. Anything else? Also did you have to increase wheel size on the back for grip?

Rocketboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I was looking for a little more sound and possible a slight rumble. But, from what I have found the h and x add more rasp.
I went with a complete replacement differential from Ford racing. And had the dealer do the installation. I stayed with the Apex 9x18 wrapped 255/45-18 Michelin PS4S is a very grippy tire. So tire diameter is similar to sock

Baso

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bassem
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 2016 Mustang V6
I was looking for a little more sound and possible a slight rumble. But, from what I have found the h and x add more rasp.
I went with a complete replacement differential from Ford racing. And had the dealer do the installation. I stayed with the Apex 9x18 wrapped 255/45-18 Michelin PS4S is a very grippy tire. So tire diameter is similar to sock

If it's rumble you're looking for, then shorty headers are your best bet. More expensive than replacing the res but definetely the best for rumble.
Also, I'm on stock 235's hence my question about your wheels/tires. Even with 3.15's I slip a lot on wot

Rocketboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ya, already have the BBK shorties installed and running the MPT93PRX tune. Just looking if anyone had made there exhaust as a true dual system after eliminating the factory resonator.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Ya, already have the BBK shorties installed and running the MPT93PRX tune. Just looking if anyone had made there exhaust as a true dual system after eliminating the factory resonator.
I got rid of the stock resonator first month of ownership. I have run an xpipe and an xpipe muffler (tru x style). Currently run the xpipe muffler. I have no axelback mufflers. Its the GT solo performance muffler delete system. I have zero drone plenty of rumble. That factory resonator has to go. The sound is racier and has a more unique engine note. Never understood why they added one from the 2011-2014 years. Those 3.7s had a factory hybrid xpipe.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks
I couldn't find the link but I recall reading a thread with a similar question. The answer was there's a downside to keeping the left and right exhaust separate rather than using a resonator, x-pipe, or h-pipe. You lose the "scavenging" effect those provide, which will result in loss of power. Not sure how much. Also, I suspect the increase in rasp with x and h pipes is more from removing the resonator (which helps tone that down) than anything else. One thing I have seen done is installing resonators after the x pipe.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I got rid of the stock resonator first day of ownership. I have run an xpipe and an xpipe muffler (tru x style). Currently run the xpipe muffler. I have no axelback mufflers. Its the GT solo performance muffler delete system. I have zero drone plenty of rumble. That factory resonator has to go. The sound is racier and has a more unique engine note. Never understood why they added one from the 2011-2014 years. Those 3.7s had a factory hybrid xpipe.
Do you have the rest of the Solo Performance system (including the J pipes) installed? I've seen those priced about the same as a Borla axle back.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Do you have the rest of the Solo Performance system (including the J pipes) installed? I've seen those priced about the same as a Borla axle back.
The J-Pipes are what make solo performance systems. So yes they are there. I have the mid pipe system from the GT. I picked them up off Craig's list years ago for pretty cheap when i was stationed in Las Vegas.
Exhaust.JPG

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT

This is not a good quality video and the exhauat note changed quite a bit....and also before i got the resonator replaced with my x-pipe muffler. But what does show is how the system has zero drone once u stop getting on it.

Edit: Recommended headphones. Its a lot deepe and gurgly then what this video shows.

Last edited:

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
The J-Pipes are what make solo performance systems. So yes they are there. I have the mid pipe system from the GT. I picked them up off Craig's list years ago for pretty cheap when i was stationed in Las Vegas.
Exhaust.JPG
Yeah, I understand about the J pipes but I thought maybe you were just using the Solo mid muffler as part of a custom setup.
Sponsored