Sponsored

2015 Mustang V6 Exhaust Sound Clip Thread

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
Your exhaust is now louder than your intake, so your not hearing it as much...go get a jlt...
Sponsored

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
Here is what mine sounds like now, windows up. The intake is louder than my exhaust on the inside...the exhaust is too quiet for me, though i love the sound of my intake

15Stealth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Fastback V6
Sounds killer man! I will order one asap. Thanks for responding.

15Stealth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Fastback V6
Hey MG6 family, New vid up!!! Before and after flow master outlaw axelback install/sound clips! Enjoy! Let me know what you all think and feel free to comment!

How did you manage with the drone at highway speeds? Did the roush CAI help?

15Stealth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Fastback V6
Yea ill have to do some testing this friday unless i can find someone thats got a muffler delete near me.

When doing the muffler delete do the pipes have to be bent. Will the shop know or should i go to them with specific requirements.

I honestly feel like a muffler delete with 2.25" piping will have less drone then the outlaws which have 3 inch piping and the useless mufflers that are attached.
Did you ever do the muffler delete? If so how is it compared to the outlaws. I had outlaws but that drone was deafening. If you got muffler deletes, can you tell us the setup as I assume you don't have the stock mufflers and stuuf. Thanks

Sponsored

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
UJ,

I really hope the resonators work for you as well as they worked for me! Please do keep us updated! So your final calculated length was 33"? Target RPM at 2000?

Dave,

I am with Jon on this one... I don't see how adding extra hangers would help drone. If anything I would think it would get worse as you are now transferring vibrations from the exhaust to the frame of the car.

I as well have little knowledge of sound waves... What little I do know came from a physics II class and research when I had my drone issues. I am a second year mechanical engineering student so I have yet to take a vibrations course. That will be coming in the next semester or two.
Hey Zack,
So have you had the vibrations courses as yet and did they add any insight to exhaust drone? :thumbsup: I am considering putting my droning Magnaflows back on, 'IF' I can find a way to fit verry looong +/- 41" (for 1700 RPM drone) Helmholtz res. under there along with my convertible's exta rear brace.

How come the air temps used in Ugly John's two charts (posts 68 & 83) only range from 70-120º? Wouldn't the temp inside the Helm. tube be higher than 120º. Not sure, I never tested exhaust temp out from the muffler.

EDIT: Hmmn, I guess the temp in the blocked off res. tubes would be significantly lower than the exhaust flowing portion. What was your assumption for the temp above ambient (or other factor). From Ugly John's 1000 - 1700 RPM created spread sheet (post #83 on page 26)
His calc length was 39.8" - 41.8" for 70º -120º respectively.
Thanks

Last edited:

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Ok, so I just jacked up my back end to inspect room for and ways to fit in 1/4 Helmholtz resonators. it appears I can run a 2 1/4" 90º off the 2 1/4" exh. pipe as it bends away from the differential. It can go 24" straight back then do a 180º bend up and slightly outward, coming forward as far as I need. I think there would be room to go even a few inches past ≈ 42" length I need for my 1700 rpm maximum drone. Actually, since there is so much room, it seems I'd have room to make an adjustable/slideable tube on the upper side. Maybe to allow up to a +/- 9" adjustment. :)

It would be a close fit, but I think I'd have room to mount these capped res tubes to fit even with the wider stock mufflers, in case I or a future owner wanted to go back to stock sound.

Any idea how would having a 37" - 42" res tube running with the OEM mufflers sound and act? I could mount adapter stubs to the oem pipe I guess and then clamp on the res tubes so they'd be removable.

Anyone know if I should avoid Permatex MTK-1 Muffler & tail pipe sealer as I plan to swap mufflers occasionally? I've read it dries hard.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Ok, so I just jacked up my back end to inspect room for and ways to fit in 1/4 Helmholtz resonators. it appears I can run a 2 1/4" 90º off the 2 1/4" exh. pipe as it bends away from the differential. It can go 24" straight back then do a 180º bend up and slightly outward, coming forward as far as I need. I think there would be room to go even a few inches past ≈ 42" length I need for my 1700 rpm maximum drone. Actually, since there is so much room, it seems I'd have room to make an adjustable/slideable tube on the upper side. Maybe to allow up to a +/- 9" adjustment. :)

It would be a close fit, but I think I'd have room to mount these capped res tubes to fit even with the wider stock mufflers, in case I or a future owner wanted to go back to stock sound.

Any idea how would having a 37" - 42" res tube running with the OEM mufflers sound and act? I could mount adapter stubs to the oem pipe I guess and then clamp on the res tubes so they'd be removable.

Anyone know if I should avoid Permatex MTK-1 Muffler & tail pipe sealer as I plan to swap mufflers occasionally? I've read it dries hard.
Resonators with the OEM mufflers shouldn't have much of any effect on the sound both inside and out.

Hey Zack,
So have you had the vibrations courses as yet and did they add any insight to exhaust drone? :thumbsup: I am considering putting my droning Magnaflows back on, 'IF' I can find a way to fit verry looong +/- 41" (for 1700 RPM drone) Helmholtz res. under there along with my convertible's exta rear brace.

How come the air temps used in Ugly John's two charts (posts 68 & 83) only range from 70-120º? Wouldn't the temp inside the Helm. tube be higher than 120º. Not sure, I never tested exhaust temp out from the muffler.

EDIT: Hmmn, I guess the temp in the blocked off res. tubes would be significantly lower than the exhaust flowing portion. What was your assumption for the temp above ambient (or other factor). From Ugly John's 1000 - 1700 RPM created spread sheet (post #83 on page 26)
His calc length was 39.8" - 41.8" for 70º -120º respectively.
Thanks
The assumption was made that the drone is mostly being created from vibrations being transferred into the cabin from the exhaust. Because of this it can be assumed that the air temp is near ambient in my calculations. In all honestly, these calculations can have a large range on the air temp as the properties of air that we are concerned with do not change drastically and the resonator is not all that sensitive to this error. I would go with johns spread sheet for the sake of simplicity and it will give you a more accurate calculation for length.

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Resonators with the OEM mufflers shouldn't have much of any effect on the sound both inside and out.
Excellent to hear. So no problem just leaving res tube in if I swap mufflers again. :clap2:

The assumption was made that the drone is mostly being created from vibrations being transferred into the cabin from the exhaust. Because of this it can be assumed that the air temp is near ambient in my calculations. In all honestly, these calculations can have a large range on the air temp as the properties of air that we are concerned with do not change drastically and the resonator is not all that sensitive to this error. I would go with johns spread sheet for the sake of simplicity and it will give you a more accurate calculation for length.
Zack,
I appreciate the info.
- ≈what RPM range would you expect 2 1/4" res pipe would quell?
- A closer look today shows my drone range from ≈ 1400-1800 rpms. Using 1600 as mid, I think I have room for a 43" res tube. Since I believe I have the room, I want to try to make an adjustable/slide res tube! :D

- Would a 180º pipe w/ 3.5" mandrel bend like this link, be the bend on the i.d.? Making the total width of the 'U' for 2 1/4" tubing ≈ 8" (2.25 + 2.25 + 3.5)? NOT!
EDIT: my bad... radius= 1/2 of dia. duh :crazy:
I believe quoted bends are centerline radius of bend. So 9.25" o.d of 'U'. (1.125+1.125 + 3.5+3.5) :headbonk:
http://smile.amazon.com/2-25-Steel-....25"+Mandrel+Bend+180+Degree+Elbow(3"+Radius)

Thank you!

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Excellent to hear. So no problem just leaving res tube in if I swap mufflers again. :clap2:

Zack,
I appreciate the info.
- ≈what RPM range would you expect 2 1/4" res pipe would quell?
- A closer look today shows my drone range from ≈ 1400-1800 rpms. Using 1600 as mid, I think I have room for a 43" res tube. Since I believe I have the room, I want to try to make an adjustable/slide res tube! :D

- Would a 180º pipe w/ 3.5" mandrel bend like this link, be the bend on the i.d.? Making the total width of the 'U' for 2 1/4" tubing ≈ 8" (2.25 + 2.25 + 3.5)?
http://smile.amazon.com/2-25-Steel-....25"+Mandrel+Bend+180+Degree+Elbow(3"+Radius)

Thank you!

With that large of a diameter, it should definitely cover your rpm range. As for the u-bend, I would see if you could find a slightly larger radius bend. Something around 4-5". The larger the bend the more efficient the resonator will be.

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
With that large of a diameter, it should definitely cover your rpm range. As for the u-bend, I would see if you could find a slightly larger radius bend. Something around 4-5". The larger the bend the more efficient the resonator will be.
Do you know if the the radius usually stated is the CLR (centeline radius)* or the i.d. of the bend? I'm thinking it is.

This link is the only one I've seen yet that mentions CLR. I'm wondering if they all mean CLR vs. inner i.d. radius?
http://www.carid.com/cherry-bomb/pr...Fas-9QDiAT00M8-TAv1DqG9GMb8NIh7p1oaAi8E8P8HAQ

Thanks
EDIT: I am looking to use a 4" radius 180º near the rear valance and route the later part of the res. tube above the muffler going forward along the frame rail. There seems to be plenty of room along that frame rail, even accomodating up to ≈ 48" res.! I'd be trying to design one that adjust from about 39" to 46". :D

Last edited:

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
i'll be making some good noises come next week :) going to roush mufflers.....as my magnaflows are just too damn quiet for my tastes....roush/shorties/x pipe res delete should fix that :p theres a guy on youtube that has this setup and it sounds mean....almost straight pipe loud

Mov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6
i'll be making some good noises come next week :) going to roush mufflers.....as my magnaflows are just too damn quiet for my tastes....roush/shorties/x pipe res delete should fix that :p theres a guy on youtube that has this setup and it sounds mean....almost straight pipe loud
Are you going to do a custom quad tip setup still?

V6junkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 v6 ingot silver
That's the set up I have and I love it not terribly loud riding around but screams when you want it
Sponsored