Sponsored

2015 Mustang Price?

TradeStepan

Newbie here. Didn't see any price speculation or discussion threads.

Does everyone expect the 2015 Mustang price to be similar to the outgoing model? Has Ford typically raised pricing on its Mustang models year after year?

Are there any Ford club or special club discount type deals I should be aware of? (sorry, coming from a line of GM cars)

If there's the Ecotec 4 cylinder model and no V6 model, do you guys think that the 4 cylinder model will actually be priced lower than the outgoing V6?

Anyone remember back to 2005 when the current Mustang was released, was there waiting lists and unfulfilled demand in the very beginning? Or is Ford typically very good at ramping up production big in the very beginning, so lack of supply won't be a problem.
Sponsored

OP
OP

JackHoya

Newbie here. Didn't see any price speculation or discussion threads.

Does everyone expect the 2015 Mustang price to be similar to the outgoing model? Has Ford typically raised pricing on its Mustang models year after year?

Are there any Ford club or special club discount type deals I should be aware of? (sorry, coming from a line of GM cars)
I believe the 2004 GT Premium was just shy of 25k MSRP and 2005 Premium was a little more than 26k MSRP, almost $1500 difference. 2013 was 34-35k MSRP so if history is any indication, we're looking at about $1000 increase every year since then.

Since the s550 will bring with it the new platform I'd imagine $1500 to be the minimum increase. Obviously, there's also the whole issue of dealership price gouging depending on demand/supply, how many are allocated in the beginning and Ford's production volume. The GT is likely to be extremely popular in the beginning as the 2015 specialty Stangs aren't expected for some time after that.

As far as the discount pricing plan, Ford's X-Plan should be available. Just not sure how difficult it will be to get when these finally roll out.

OP
OP

groundnpounder

As far as the discount pricing plan, Ford's X-Plan should be available. Just not sure how difficult it will be to get when these finally roll out.
Definitely look into this OP. You can get X-plan by signing up for the Mustang Club of America ($50 membership) and it gets you pricing at $100-200 over invoice and caps the dealer documentation fee to $100.

OP
OP

groundnpounder

Here's my guess as to pricing. If we get an Ecotec 4cyl as expected, they'll try to keep it cheap with a base price about 20k or lower 20's. The GT though I'm guessing will start at around $35k (which means it'll hit 40k easy after options).

Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
This isn't a limited production car, nor are the base and GT models as exclusive as the GT500, they're mass produced and basically unlimited quantity, so unless there's some unexpected production constraint in the very beginning, you won't have to worry about limited supply and price gouging. And if one dealer is stupid enough to try, there's plenty of other dealers that won't.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Krishna

This isn't a limited production car, nor are the base and GT models as exclusive as the GT500, they're mass produced and basically unlimited quantity, so unless there's some unexpected production constraint in the very beginning, you won't have to worry about limited supply and price gouging. And if one dealer is stupid enough to try, there's plenty of other dealers that won't.
Agreed. I've heard some worried about ford CAFE numbers and this limiting their production but I just don't see this happening. As far as dealer gouging, if I recall this actually did happen with the MY05 Stangs when they first came out. With fierce competition from the Camaro and other cars if it starts moving upmarket, I wouldn't expect dealer hikes to last long, if at all. Now the GT500 and other exclusives are a different story.

What I am more concerned about is the pricing in general. With base models now well into the 30k's and more for the premium model plus any add-ons, Ford has be really consider whether it is beginning to get too far from its historical target audience and what has made this old best bang-for-your-buck muscle car so popular for so many decades.

OP
OP

KZStang

What I am more concerned about is the pricing in general. With base models now well into the 30k's and more for the premium model plus any add-ons, Ford has be really consider whether it is beginning to get too far from its historical target audience and what has made this old best bang-for-your-buck muscle car so popular for so many decades.
Right on. I know many people who are afraid that is exactly the direction Ford is moving in with the Stang. Besides leaving behind entire generations of loyalists who bought the Mustang not only for its performance and power (who bought the car precisely because it can hold its own and even outperform its more expensive foreign brethren -- ahem, M3 -- and we're talking a regular GT -- see http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/16/2011-ford-mustang-gt-vs-2010-bmw-m3-tie-game/ -- sorry slightly off topic)

From Ford's POV, the issue will also be the market that it is trying to play in if it starts upscaling the Mustang. It would be competing with the Vette etc. and losing one of the biggest advantages you've held all along to cars like this -- price. Not to mention once you enter this range, the target demographic will expect the same type of performance, quality, and bells and whistles. By no means a bad thing for us, but everything comes with a cost.

Harrison

Threads
Reaction score
I'm hoping they hold the current prices. Was almost ready to pull trigger for a 2013 model but then read that the new one is coming out real soon.

OP
OP

Prodigy

I'm hoping they hold the current prices. Was almost ready to pull trigger for a 2013 model but then read that the new one is coming out real soon.
It'll go up for sure, question is how much. This is a BIG one for Ford and with the new platform it'll come with a significant bump i think, at least initially.

Going forward though, we could see savings in the economies of scale Ford can achieve from shared platforms.

I'd be thrilled with a sub-2k increase for the base model....

OP
OP

JackHoya

Yea, they probably spend more than a third of total R&D on platform development. Cutting platforms from 11 to 9 will be a big savings for them which hopefully means less increases in price and Ford using those savings for other improvements.

Sponsored
OP
OP

OKCfan

It'll go up for sure, question is how much. This is a BIG one for Ford and with the new platform it'll come with a significant bump i think, at least initially.

Going forward though, we could see savings in the economies of scale Ford can achieve from shared platforms.

I'd be thrilled with a sub-2k increase for the base model....
No way they'd increase it close to $2k for a base model. That's suicide. It's a super competitive segment with the Camaro, Challenger, Genesis Coupe. I bet it's under $1k price increase. And they don't adjust pricing through a model's lifetime based on how much the car costs them to make anyway. If it's expensive for them to produce initially, they just eat the costs and make it up later in the life cycle.

OP
OP

NRMStand

2014 GT500 is just $500 increase over last year's model (55k to 55.5k). The convertible GT500 also saw the same price bump. They can justify a bigger increase for the anniversary edition/new platform, but 2k increase would be outrageous.

OP
OP

TradeStepan

Thanks for the replies. Helpful info. Hoping the $500-1000 increase guesses are right.
Sponsored