Sponsored

2015 Mustang News & Rumors Summary

mrkrabz

Threads
Reaction score
Been a die hard manual trans car all my life but, I am super curious about this "8 speed tranny". If its anything like the Porsche PDK or Ferrari's dual clutch. C&D stated not even the best drivers, driving cars with manual trans. could turn better 0-60's against these high tech dual clutch transmissions. Dont get me wrong I like and own a manual trans. 2006 Mustang GT. But when C&D and Motor Trend state they have seen a good dual clutch trans knock off as much as 3/10th of a second in a 0-60 run. So if the S550 w/ M-82 goes 0-60 in 4.2 sec. and one with a dual clutch tranny goes 0-60 in 3.9, just laying it out there
The current automatics accelerate faster than the manuals. Dual clutch would be beautiful in a mustang though, but I doubt it.
Sponsored

jimmythepage666

zoom zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sean
Vehicle(s)
Subaru wrx
I would be envious if I bought the 2015 with 6 speed manual, and a year or two later 8 speed auto GTs are running around on the road with nice quality paddle shifters.

I might just skip on the MT-82 this time around. :headbonk:

However...

I might be swayed to pick up an optimized and improved 6 speed mt-82. It is a good transmission, I enjoy it when its warmed up and working properly. It could just be the same old mt-82 based on one of the videos of the 2015 gt driving on the streets. You can easily hear the one two shift, click clack. :doh:

0:36-0:38

OP
OP

CoyoteMan

If that sound really is it, hopefully that IS the current Mt82 and not a new tranny.

My guess is the current Mt82 carries over until we get the new 8-10 speed autos in a few years. They can use the new tranny and updated motors to sell the first refresh. THen a bigger design change for around the 4-5 year mark of the s550.

Overboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
Nice work! Only thing I noticed is the "Engines" and the "Trims/Lineup" section contradict each other a bit. Other than that, it's a great summary of everything we think we know.

OP
OP

KZStang

Thanks. Yea, I hesitated to even include the "Trims/Lineup" since frankly this is the section with some of the more ridiculous rumors we've heard, but I figured I'd throw it all in there and let people decide for themselves.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mriley

Weren't there rumors last year about some kind of staggered release for the US and Europe? I may be completely remembering wrong but thought I read this. Just thinking of what other rumors were floating around...

OP
OP

shelby1k

Weren't there rumors last year about some kind of staggered release for the US and Europe? I may be completely remembering wrong but thought I read this. Just thinking of what other rumors were floating around...
I believe that was in relation to the 14.5 rumor. The theory was that Ford would roll out a new model as a quasi 14.5 in the US and the regular model year 15's in Europe months after. It was pure speculation and at this point it should be obvious that's not the plan.

OP
OP

stangray11

KZStang, there's a few order rumors that you might want to include. I know there's been some disagreement about this in other threads but since your list is pretty inclusive may want to add these too.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/ford/2015-ford-mustang-ar114432.html

UPDATE 06/13/2012: The guys over at CarAndDriver have managed to catch a mule of the next generation Mustang during testing. As usual, the spy shots reveal more details on the future car. The next Mustang will be built on a heavily revised version of the outgoing car’s platform, with the biggest change being made for the suspension system.

Along the same lines.....

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2015-ford-mustang-spy-photos-news

Platform: We expect the next Mustang will sit on a heavily revised version of the outgoing car’s platform. The biggest change, of course, is headed for the pony car’s rear suspension. There’s a pretty good chance the current model’s archaic solid rear axle will go the way of the dodo. We’ve heard Ford has yet to make a final decision as to whether the new Mustang will get a solid or independent rear suspension, but that the independent rear is more likely given that all of the Mustang’s competitors have one. (The previous-gen car was tested with both types before Ford settled on keeping the stick axle.)

MustangDizzle

Threads
Reaction score
KZStang, there's a few order rumors that you might want to include. I know there's been some disagreement about this in other threads but since your list is pretty inclusive may want to add these too.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/ford/2015-ford-mustang-ar114432.html

UPDATE 06/13/2012: The guys over at CarAndDriver have managed to catch a mule of the next generation Mustang during testing. As usual, the spy shots reveal more details on the future car. The next Mustang will be built on a heavily revised version of the outgoing car’s platform, with the biggest change being made for the suspension system.

Along the same lines.....

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2015-ford-mustang-spy-photos-news

Platform: We expect the next Mustang will sit on a heavily revised version of the outgoing car’s platform. The biggest change, of course, is headed for the pony car’s rear suspension. There’s a pretty good chance the current model’s archaic solid rear axle will go the way of the dodo. We’ve heard Ford has yet to make a final decision as to whether the new Mustang will get a solid or independent rear suspension, but that the independent rear is more likely given that all of the Mustang’s competitors have one. (The previous-gen car was tested with both types before Ford settled on keeping the stick axle.)
Meh

OP
OP

KZStang

There's not a whole lot to back up the debate here, but when I get a chance I will add what I can about the platform architecture. There's been several rumors claiming the S550 platform will be a heavily modified version of the current. And I know others here have mentioned it could be some form of modular "CD4.3" that has been reworked to allow for RWD application. Or it's a completely all-new platform from the ground up.

Frankly, I have a hard time believing any of these wholesale. Regardless, it's impossible to know for sure right now and it's not like more spy photos will help uncover the truth. Much of this will have to be learned after the fact.

Sponsored
OP
OP

fastback69

I would be envious if I bought the 2015 with 6 speed manual, and a year or two later 8 speed auto GTs are running around on the road with nice quality paddle shifters.

I might just skip on the MT-82 this time around. :headbonk:

However...

I might be swayed to pick up an optimized and improved 6 speed mt-82. It is a good transmission, I enjoy it when its warmed up and working properly. It could just be the same old mt-82 based on one of the videos of the 2015 gt driving on the streets. You can easily hear the one two shift, click clack. :doh:

0:36-0:38

Definitely sounds like it. Good pick up.

I have to disagree with the efficiency arguments of the extra 2 to 4 gears tho. For example, how much do the C7's economy numbers actually benefit from that additinoal 7th gear?

Much of this is about marketing I believe, but I still doubt this will help sell more Mustangs. If the 8 speed is going to be for FWD and the 10 speed will be developed for RWD application... even less likely that we see it. A 10 speed Mustang makes no practical sense to me, the way the cars are driven there will be constant gear shifting, it is jerky enough as it is IMO. I think 6 gears is the sweet spot. If they want to improve efficiency all they need to do is refine and improve the components in the current tranny.

Tempus

Threads
Reaction score
Here is what I'm thinking re the 3.7L. Might be 2 possibilities:

1. They decide to carryover the 3.7L and slot the 2.3L in between the V6 and V8 in ALL markets. This seems to be what most are expecting. But i would not be surprised if:

2. The 3.7L carries over for one model year as the base, and for one year we have the same 2 engine options in the U.S. Maybe they offer the 4-cyl in Europe first, or maybe not. Then the 2nd year, they replace the V6 with the 4-cylinder in ALL markets and we get the new 9-10 speed autos they are developing with GM, which is said to be matched with new Ecoboost engines.

OP
OP

KZStang

What is this about the v6 ? That should definintely be 'confirmed'
In the land of S550 rumors, the V6 is the least sure bet as far as engines go IMO, which is why it is left off. V8 is going nowhere obviously (and if you needed more evidence, it has been spotted and heard in the spy photos & videos) and an EcoBoost 4 cylinder has already been confirmed by FMC leadership.

Here is what I'm thinking re the 3.7L. Might be 2 possibilities:

1. They decide to carryover the 3.7L and slot the 2.3L in between the V6 and V8 in ALL markets. This seems to be what most are expecting. But i would not be surprised if:

2. The 3.7L carries over for one model year as the base, and for one year we have the same 2 engine options in the U.S. Maybe they offer the 4-cyl in Europe first, or maybe not. Then the 2nd year, they replace the V6 with the 4-cylinder in ALL markets and we get the new 9-10 speed autos they are developing with GM, which is said to be matched with new Ecoboost engines.
I see little reason for Ford to stagger the release of the 4 cylinder in different regions. It will all get produced and shipped from the same place and the whole idea behind the global platform is to avoid situations like the RS Focus with different offerings in Europe and the U.S. That is what they are trying to rectify going forward.

let me ride

Threads
Reaction score
In the land of S550 rumors, the V6 is the least sure bet as far as engines go IMO, which is why it is left off. V8 is going nowhere obviously (and if you needed more evidence, it has been spotted and heard in the spy photos & videos) and an EcoBoost 4 cylinder has already been confirmed by FMC leadership.
Having an engine lineup consisting of a 4 cylinder and a V8 would be a mistake and Ford knows it. If they are going to offer a 4 it will have to be done with caution, not by uprooting current setup and having V6 buyers (read: the majority of buyers right now) decide between forking over the extra for a V8, or driving a 4 cylinder. Like it or not, some egos out there still cannot accept a 4 banger in a pony car. Why make them choose?
Sponsored